• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:31 AM

Ooh Frank I had not thought about the advantage of a late season hunt with an xbow now I am really excited. I can and do shoot either handed and either eye but maturally prefer the port side as it is most comfortable. If you want a real flinch opportunity try shooting a flintlock opposite side.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#17 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:53 AM

paul sorry to be so late on this topic...i to am new to the crossbow world..my grandson and i got out a coupleof weeks ago andshot mine.... the new crossbows are awsome....i got one 15 years ago and did not like it so i gave it to a friend of mine...he loved it ....last year about this time i got a horton from buckmasters ....the thing is awsome...it will blast a bolt out so fast all you hear is the smack. and it will shot clean thru a new yellow jacket target at 25 yards....i had to get a strap cocking device as i can't even budge the string... and yes as stated it takes some work to use it ...i still have my compound and will still use it some but i'll also be using the x-bow...i like the loks ad feel of the 10point and excaliber but man there like gold aroung here... :lol: :lol: ... the main thing if your legal to use one get the darn thing and use it ...have a blast and enjoy your time in the outdoors....
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#18 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:07 AM

Tom et all. I did a few days ago get a chance to handle a ten point and a horton. They both would be acceptable for shooting left handed. I did notice the price of the crank cocking device and ouch the price was over $100. Even considering the built in crank, the ten point bow is very pricey. Most of the ten point bows I saw at Bass Pro in Harrisburg were in the $700 - $800 range. I did do some internet looking too and there are cross bows out there in the $2000 range too. It seems there are a whole bunch of models in the $400 to $500 range.

I must see my Dr first to see if he will sign the necessary paperwork to submit to the PGC to get approval to use a crossbow as I do not live near any of the approved WMUs. As soon as I am approved I will be really looking for a compatable bow.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 15 August 2007 - 11:12 AM.

#19 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:22 AM

PA,
Just curious, what bow did you finally settle on? Yopu might have posted it, but I must have missed it.

Jer makes some good observations regarding bow weight selection. Minimum poundage in most states and provinces for xbows is likely in the 120 to 125 lb rage. Far too low in my opinion. As Jer mentions, 150 should be your minimum to look at. Personnaly, the mag bows in the 200 lb plus range are merely addressing the small appendage sysndrome. 165 lbs is ample to take any big game in north america. My son shoots a 165 lb Excalibur Exocet and has taken 3 moose, a couple bears and whitetail deer. He also uses it on small game with excellent accuracy and success.

Excalibur is an excellent company and makes a fine line of bows. The founder/owner and his wife are also an avid crossbow hunters and active proponents of hunting and crossbow laws and regulations.

TenPoint, as Jer mentioned, is reportedly the top of the line, but then you have to pay for that reputation and quality as well.

The one draw back that I've heard in regards to a non-compound crossbow, is that the limbs are wider and somewhat more awkward in a ground blind or stand where you have less room to manouvre. Most cross bows either provide, or have a pulley system aid with which to assist you in cocking the bow. These are also a good idea as they enhance your accuracy as the string will always be pulled back to the same spot. Hand drawing the string could put the string right or left as it's locked in the trigger release system. This will cause the arrows to shoot either right or left.

Geoff / TBow

Edited by Geoff / TBow, 03 December 2007 - 09:10 AM.

Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#20 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:33 AM

Thanks for the input Tbow. I have not yet bought a cross bow. A few other things had to come first. The wife had to fulfill a life dream of going to Hawai"i. My purchase of the crossbow is also contingent on getting a medical approval from our game commission which I have not done yet.

#21 In-Hoc

In-Hoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:47 PM

I currently shoot a Tenpoint Pro-Elite. I have shot a crossbow for years. I live in Ohio and just happen to be about 20 min from Tenpoint. You will never find another bow company so willing to go out of their way for their customers. If you post a question on their website the respond within the hour If you call them they will answer your question immediately not this "I'll look into and and call you back later today or first thing tomorrow." The product itself is just miles above the competiton. They are very accurate and very challenging at the same time. I can tell you if you shoot open sights (pins) you have a great chance for a bad shot or missing the target just like you would with a compound bow. I put on the Truglo crossbow scope $80 scope (people told me to go with the more expensive scopes and told me that I would regret using this scope) I can't tell you how wrong they were. I love this scope and it made such an impact that a relative of mine who is a die-hard Tenpoint Scope fan changed his mind and went with this scope as well. I have done a lot of research and the Horton bows are outdated and behind in technology. The Excalibur bows are also very nice but I just can't get away from the Tenpoint customer service. Forget about the Parker Bows and Stay away from the Stryker bows. If your going to buy one Make it a Tenpoint or Excalibur, I would highly suggest the Tenpoint.

#22 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:49 PM

Thanks In-Hoc I did make a purchase. It is a PSE crossbow which I got from a member here who is on the pro staff with PSE. So far I have not regretted my decision. I got a 165 lb pull compound type which came with a 3 dot red dot, a quiver, and 4 arrows. I did find out that an arrow will deflect off a small limb very easily. I bought a rope assist device and this enables me to easily do the drawing and locking. Actually I bought two rope devices because I gave my first one to Spirithawk when we were there. After our current seasons are done, I plan on getting the crossbow out and do some serious shooting. That is after I get something for a backstop that will stop the arrow. I made a backstop by cutting cooregated cardboard and compressing a whole stack between 2x6s with threaded rod. So far I have not got it tight enough to completely stop the arrow at 20 yds not even with a fiberboard behind the target. I have not shot it enough to be real confident with it but with a little more time confidence will come.

#23 In-Hoc

In-Hoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:45 AM

PA Ridge Runner, Congratulations on the purchase. I will suggest that you purchase a 4x4 block or a Morrell's Bag (only use field points on the bag or you'll blow thru). This will work better for you then the compressed cardboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users