#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:57 PM

I'm looking at PSE Predator arrows and found this chart. My question is the top part of the chart says to use the length of your arrow. My problem is is that my arrow is 27.5 inches nock to tip. Should I just bump up to 28 inches? These arrows are available in 200 and 300 only, so they wouldn't work if I stayed at 27 inches.

BTW: Does anyone have any experience with these arrows?
PSE Predator Arrows

Posted Image
-Eric

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:58 PM

RR what is your poundage set on your bow? To use the chart you will have to know that number. I measure my arrows from the valley or bottom of the nock to the end of the insert. Do not include the end of the nock or any part of a field point or broadhead. I would round down to the 27" size not round up but that depends on your poundage. That's my .02

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 01 August 2007 - 03:03 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:22 PM

My poundage is 40-45# Rowdy. When I measured the way you told me to I got about 25 3/4 so basically 26 inches. Would these arrows work if I factored in the nock and head or not?

thank you!
-Eric

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:53 PM

Run'ngun if I'm reading the PSE graph it shows a 26" arrow to be in the 100 spine side for 45#. Their chart shows a 52# to 57# draw weight for 26" and you'd be into 200 spine. If you're at 28" at 45# you'll be into 200 spine. Your poundage I would be concerned with when moving into longer stiffer spine because of tuning and accuracy issues with them. I ran into this this spring trying a stiffer spine and my accuracy went screwy and I had a tough time understanding it.

The way I measure an arrow for cutting or length size is what I explained, from the end of the insert to valley or where the string bottoms out in the nock and that is your total length. I'm at 6' tall and my arrows I use I get cut for 28.25" long using the above method because my draw length is close enough at 28" for my bows. McBruce draw length is at 27" and he's just shy of 6'. This is just to give you some idea of average draw length.

Here's just a thought I had and simple suggestion.

The next thing is to be sure the current length arrows are the right length for your current setup. At your age and all you might be growing out of the length you had several months back and could go with a longer shaft or arrow. That then depends on how your draw length seems to feel for you compared to how it felt when you first had it setup.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:53 PM

Thanks Rowdy! Is it possible to have a too long of an arrow? Since I'm at 26 inches and lets say I went to 27 inches is there a chance that my accuracy or anything would go down? At full draw there are a couple of inches beyond the rest so would an extra inch hurt anything? If it wouldn't I would be able to use these arrows a little longer.

Thank you!
-Eric

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:31 PM

Thanks Rowdy! Is it possible to have a too long of an arrow? Since I'm at 26 inches and lets say I went to 27 inches is there a chance that my accuracy or anything would go down? At full draw there are a couple of inches beyond the rest so would an extra inch hurt anything? If it wouldn't I would be able to use these arrows a little longer.
Thank you!

In my humble opinion and I'm aware their is some very knowledgeable archers here that can give you more help than myself.

Run I would say first it will change your tuning as it is for sure. A longer arrow will be heavier and the spine flexing will be a bit different if you're not changing your head weight. Your point of impact (POI) will be changed immediately and I would guess it will fall faster. But I think you can adjust your setup in your rest or and in your sight to handle the change. Now will a 1" longer arrow in your current spine change beyond that I don't think it will. And it will obvious give you more use over time with your physical growth to come. On the other hand your potential with more practice will strengthen those archery muscle and you'll be pulling more draw weight over time and the spine will change then too.

Give it some time and work on your accuracy with regular practice and you're going to be a dead on shot. ;)

#7 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 07:10 PM

Thanks Rowdy!

I guess there is really no way of getting around the fact that I will probably need to get new arrows about every year or so as I grow and get stronger. I think I may get Carbon Express 4560's that will let me use the same arrows a little longer if my draw weight goes up faster than my draw length.

Thanks again!
Eric
-Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users