11 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:50 PM

Ok guy's, a question. How can you tell the age of a Winchester Lever Action? I know pre 64's are more valuable than newer ones but how do you tell? Is it the serial number and if so how do you check?

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:56 PM

Spirit what is the model of the winchester. Winchester has made a whole passel of lever action rifles over the years.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:32 PM

Paul, it's a Model 94 .30-.30.

#4 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:34 AM

You can try calling Winchester, but generally they will send you to the Buffalo Bill museum in Wyoming. Whatever records survived the big Winchester factory fire are there. Be prepared to donate a buck or two to the museum.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:12 AM

Thanks Larry.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:40 PM

I have a couple of model 92 Winchesters that Fred (Derfman gave me the manufacture dates on. You might want to contact him too.

The post 1982 models are side or angle eject.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 02 August 2007 - 08:43 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:54 PM

Thanks Paul. I'll do that.

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:50 AM

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_year_was_a_...er_1214508_made

see if that link will not give you a production year.

Also the older ones are a 30wcf caliber instead of 30-30. There is only one safety, that being the hammer, the inside of the older ones are milled and not stamped. Open the action look inside and look for the stamp marks on the edges of the metal. Normally they can be spotted.

Also the older ones are much smoother in overall operation. The new models are ruff, and do not tend to lock up as nice as the old ones. I had an old Winchester 30 WCF (Winchester Center Fire) and my brother fell in love with it and hounded me until I finally sold it to him. I had bought it from an old friend of mine. He had purchased it new after the second world war and fired it seven times. I got the rifle and the two boxes of shell (one box missing seven rounds) for $100.00. That was a could not pass up deal.

When you check years, you will also find that during the second world war.. 1941 - 1945 there will be little or no rifle made at that time as the factory was geared up to assist in the military war effort.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:52 PM

Thanks guys.

#10 pastorjody

pastorjody

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:26 PM

I have a Winchester book that says the post 64 production of the model 94 began with serial number 2,700,000. Anything before that number is considered pre 64. I also have the approximate last serial number of every production year prior to 1964, I also have the same info for the model 70.

#11 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:43 PM

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_year_was_a_.../a>

see if that link will not give you a production year.

Also the older ones are a 30wcf caliber instead of 30-30. There is only one safety, that being the hammer, the inside of the older ones are milled and not stamped. Open the action look inside and look for the stamp marks on the edges of the metal. Normally they can be spotted.

Also the older ones are much smoother in overall operation. The new models are ruff, and do not tend to lock up as nice as the old ones. I had an old Winchester 30 WCF (Winchester Center Fire) and my brother fell in love with it and hounded me until I finally sold it to him. I had bought it from an old friend of mine. He had purchased it new after the second world war and fired it seven times. I got the rifle and the two boxes of shell (one box missing seven rounds) for $100.00. That was a could not pass up deal.

When you check years, you will also find that during the second world war.. 1941 - 1945 there will be little or no rifle made at that time as the factory was geared up to assist in the military war effort.

30WCF and 30-30 aint the same???
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#12 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:29 AM

30WCF and 30-30 aint the same???

Yes that is the same caliber. Its was a barrel stamp found on many of the older Winchester rifles and even some of the old boxes of ammo.

I remember when my buddy bought a brand new Winchester Model 94 30-30 back in the early 70's and was so proud of it. He took it to the range and tried to sight it in, and after the third shot the front sight fell off. The look on his face was priceless. Also to work the lever compared to the old models was like night and day. You had to almost joggle the lever to make it close and lock up. BUT it was a very good shooting rifle.

That one I sold to my brother is smooth as silk. I sure hope he is taking good care of that rifle... :ermm:
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users