#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:52 PM

While shooting my new arrows today I accidently knicked a vane when one of my practice broadheads hit the vane of an arrow that was already in the target. It's about 1/8 inch deep. When I was shooting it didn't seem to make much of a difference in accuracy but I'm worried about it tearing more. Should I just leave it or get that single vane refletched?

Another question: Are little ripples in vanes normal?

Edited by run'ngun, 12 August 2007 - 06:58 PM.

-Eric

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:58 AM

Rippling in your vanes happens when they come in contact with something. The vane might be hitting something on your bow when launched or it just hit another arrow in the target. If the vane is hitting something on your bow like the rest you'll see more vanes being waved or rippled. If it is hitting something on your bow then find out what it is cause it will effect your flight. You don't want the arrow rubbing anything but the arrow rest.

If you're using a whisker biscuit arrow rest its been experience you'll have vane rippling.

You can straighten it with the heat of a hair dryer on high blowing on it for around 10 minutes.

The tear in the vane since it's so small and I'm assuming you're using 4" vanes I'd just super glue it for now before it grows larger with a very small amount of glue.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 13 August 2007 - 08:41 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:44 AM

If the tear gets bigger, it'll make a cool FFFFFFFffffff.......... sound while its flying to the target. one of my friends had problem with that after I hit a few of his arrows.

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:36 AM

Thanks guys! There is only a ripple on one of my vanes and that must be because I had a couple of very tight groups and that would also be the reason for the tear.

Thanks!
-Eric

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:03 AM

Pass a blow dryer set on medium to high heat several times over a vane to straighten out "waves" or "ripples". (You can also carefully use a lighter, but make sure it's butane and not a Zippo as Zippo fluid will leave a black residue.) Straighten out natural feathers by doing the same over a steam kettle.

As to the tear, I would refletch for sure. In fact, if you're shooting a biscuit rest I would refletch all the arrows with Blazer vanes and kiss "wavy vanes" goodbye! :peace2:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#6 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:20 AM

Thanks Jer, maybe blazers would be a good idea. I have blazer vanes on my practice arrows and I like them so maybe I'll get them put on. Would a pro-shop be the best place to get arrows refletched?
-Eric

#7 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:47 AM

Pass a blow dryer set on medium to high heat several times over a vane to straighten out "waves" or "ripples". (You can also carefully use a lighter, but make sure it's butane and not a Zippo as Zippo fluid will leave a black residue.) Straighten out natural feathers by doing the same over a steam kettle.

As to the tear, I would refletch for sure. In fact, if you're shooting a biscuit rest I would refletch all the arrows with Blazer vanes and kiss "wavy vanes" goodbye! :peace2:

Have you ever used the blazers with the biscuit before? I thought they'd be to wide but I dont have experience with them. How do you like the blazers?

#8 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:51 AM

Blazers are the best vanes I've ever passed through a biscuit. I recommend them to everyone who shoots one.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#9 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:35 PM

One more question: Will the ripples in the vane cause any accuracy problems? I'm asking this because if it won't hurt anything for them to be shot with ripples I wouldn't have to be in a hurry to get them refletched right?
-Eric

#10 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:14 AM

One more question: Will the ripples in the vane cause any accuracy problems? I'm asking this because if it won't hurt anything for them to be shot with ripples I wouldn't have to be in a hurry to get them refletched right?

Run'ngun nah it shouldn't make a real noticeable difference when you're punch holes in your target at 20 yards but I would recommend the treatment Jeremiah posted before they get any worse.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users