5 replies to this topic

#1 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:29 AM

when target practicing Im tearing the veins off when they go through the targets can anyone suggest a cheap but good fletching jig so I can re fletch as needed and whats the difference between the helical I noticed some are right some are left some are .......
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:00 AM

Bitzenburger Dial-O-Fletch with right helical clamp is what I use. In my humble opinion it's probably the best out there.

More and more vane manufacturers are recommending a right helical or an offset style helical fletch for their new 2" size. If using a 4" vane I'd go for a right helical and put as much as possible in the vane while gluing it to the shaft.

I shave off or puncture several vanes a week when I'm practicing for the coming season so it's cheaper for me to do it myself. It's easy.

Since I got started fletching my own arrows I have had fun trying to create a personal looking arrow mixing up vanes and wraps. I have almost gone totally to the 2" size vanes like the Blazer and the Quik Spine speed hunter. It sure is more fun than going to the store and paying to have someone else fletch out your arrows and they may have what you want and maybe they won't.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:17 AM

I have the Bitzenburger Dial-O-Fletch also. there are some others out there that work just as well.

I did a search on cabelas. there is
1) the Arizona Archery Fletch III Fletching Jig
cost is 22.99 plus tax and shiping... its an ok jig

2) Grayling Fletching Jig
its currently on sale for 24.88 normaly goes for 32.99 I've looked at this one and its darn close to the bitz with the exception of its plastic to their metal.

3) Bohning Jig and Clamps
29.99 its an ok jig.

I'd stay away from the 3 at one time jigs. I've owned a couple of those and when your getting down to tunning your arrows....you don't want to be pressing 3 vanes at the same time and hoping they all hit the right spot.

My choice if I was going at a lower cost then the Bitzenburg would be with the GrayLine.

on the question of helical , it is a twist in the vane so that the arrow spins ( sort of like a spiral on a football )
helps stabalize the flight. Personaly, using the 4 inch vanes with a right helical, I think I have better accuracy then using the 2 inch blazers. Next set of blazers I'll be doing an offset and see if that works.

its alot of fun messing with your set up and doing it yourself. plus for the cost of having a shop do it for you, you can buy bags of vanes and play with color combos and such.

have fun
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:26 PM

If you happen to not like the way your vanes are set-up on your shafts can you remove them and put on a different set-up without ruining the shafts or is it basically permanent?
-Eric

#5 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:37 PM

Eric when I had my bear first strike I had a jig (wish now that I hadnt let all the stuff go with it when I sold it)and using the fletching glue it rubs right off so you have a clean start Ive also used rubbing alcohol to clean the shaft when done to get any skin oil off the shaft. if the glue is stubborn goof off or just plain lighter fluid for a zippo works but again clean with some alcohol after words
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:15 PM

If you happen to not like the way your vanes are set-up on your shafts can you remove them and put on a different set-up without ruining the shafts or is it basically permanent?

I use a tool that scraps the vanes off called a Norway Zip-Strip Fletching Stripper and it does remove the wraps too off the shaft without any damage to them. I personally would recommend getting one. Some guys use an old dull knife to scrap them off and do it so you don't cut into the shaft. It's like witling lightly and you get the glue at the same time of a carbon shaft. I don't use any alcohol or cleaner afterwards remove glue or to prep my shafts and they hold vanes just fine for hundreds of shots.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users