Interesting Broadhead Poi Testing.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:44 AM

Very Interesting

It does make me wonder why I ever went in search of a "better broadhead" from where I was a few years ago though. :hmm:

============

Also, dig how far beyond brace the string goes near the end of the video when the bow is shot while outfitted with a metal loop nock. I once had a customer tell me he had a metal loop hang up on his rest prong after a shot. I've long known they are bad news, but I thought he was lying or joking. Seeing that video I now totally believe him! Those things should be taken off the market! :thumbsdown:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:17 AM

Cool video Jer! I really like these broadhead test videos!
-Eric

#3 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:38 PM

I had seen that before Jer and was looking at the snypers due to that test but here is a problem around here they are not carrying them anymore they say that they are not being produced anymore so anyone that has them they are clearanced which makes me wonder how am I to replace them in the future????? I am looking for something that will be around longer then that
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:25 PM

Very Interesting

It does make me wonder why I ever went in search of a "better broadhead" from where I was a few years ago though. :hmm:

============

Also, dig how far beyond brace the string goes near the end of the video when the bow is shot while outfitted with a metal loop nock. I once had a customer tell me he had a metal loop hang up on his rest prong after a shot. I've long known they are bad news, but I thought he was lying or joking. Seeing that video I now totally believe him! Those things should be taken off the market! :thumbsdown:

I had forgotten I had one of the metal loops on my bow when I first got started. It kept hitting me in the forearm so I removed it and went to rope loop. Ever since then my string does not hit my forearm unless I have a heavy bulky coat on. The metal loop weight was adding my swing I presumed then and the looks of this video I guessed right.

Rage bought the rocky mountain line and the design of the snyper is similar to the Rage and that's why the snyper is out of production. Gander mountain just put all their broadheads from Rocky Mountain on sale last week.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:26 PM

The Rocky Mountain Broadhead (Barrie Archery) company was sold last year. Most of the Rocky Mountain line has gone by the wayside, but the Snyper has been replaced by the "Rage" broadhead you hear everyone and their brother talking about these days. In other words, if you want Snypers, buy Rage!

sig_admin.png

#6 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:45 PM

well now Im glad someone know this LOL no one in the pro shops around here know that they just say they didnt sell so they are taking them off the market, they aren't as good as they thought, etc...
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:08 PM

Nope. "Rage" is a company owned by Field Logic. (Field Logic being the same folks who make "The Block" archery targets.) Field Logic bought Barrie Archery/Rocky Mountain Broadheads last year. If you look around, you will see that many of the Rocky Mountain Broadhead models were discontinued last summer, not just the Snyper. I don't know what, if any, plans there are in the future beyond the Rage head for Field Logic. But, that's the not-so-current scoop anyway. :)

sig_admin.png

#8 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:13 AM

Not to turn this thread on its ear, but what are you shooting?

I'm still using the Muzzy 3-Blade 100 grain broadhead. I've been thinking about machs for years but haven't decided if they're really better. The test was good but not enough to convince me to go to the machs cause they don't shoot as close to field points as most have been saying (Muzzy was 1.98 off and the machs were around 1.5 off and most had some type of failure).

What say you?
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#9 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:05 AM

Well, Charles, I am shooting Rocky Mountain (Barrie Archery) Turbos because I bought 6 packs for $5 a piece from work when they were marked down due to being discontinued (plus my employee discount figured in). As you saw in the test, they faired pretty well. So, I'm not disappointed. (I already wasn't disappointed from my own testing.) But, if not for that, I would probably be right back to Muzzy. I know some folks who have complained about their flight, but I've always had them group right in their with field points. (So, I can only suspect poor equipment tune for some.) In fact, when I tested Montecs (which I really wanted to be "da bomb") the Muzzy head flew better time and again. As to the blades on the Muzzy wrinkling up a bit (if being shot into plywood :rolleyes: ), they're disposable! That's the whole point. Whenever I would run an animal through with one I would swap the blades, clean the ferrule, spin test it, and put it right back into my quiver. All told, I felt that I was even saving money since a pack of 6 Muzzy heads is cheaper than any of these "hot new" heads coming 3 in a pack. Plus, I don't have to buy diamond hones for resharpening or spend the time doing so. (If I were some kind of world-traveled killing machine then maybe a resharpenable head like a Montec would eventually pay off. But, I'm not. :) )

As to mechanical heads, I still find them to have some advantages. First, nothing I've ever shot "flies like a field point" other than a field point. So, I truly hope we can throw that one out the window. That said, some clearly are closer than others. Mechanical broadheads, as a whole, still fly closer to field points than fixed blade heads, as a whole. When selecting a mechanical head... Use your head. If it doesn't have a sleek profile while closed it isn't going to fly as well as one that does. (Note how the Vortex head in the video with the huge "wings" out front was one of the worst flying mechanical heads in the bunch.) Where mechanical broadheads still shine is in true hunting environments. Note that we had no crosswind in this testing. An arrow equipped with a sleek mechanical broadhead will be blown off course less than one with a fixed blade head in a crosswind. Beyond that, one can use mechanical heads with cutting diameters larger than what would fly reasonably well in a fixed broadhead. (e.g. I would much rather shoot a mechanical broadhead with a 2" cutting diameter than a fixed blade broadhead with a 2" cutting diameter if I want good flight. :o )

Well, that's all just my 2 cents anyway. (Thanks for dragging me in. :whistle: :lol: )

sig_admin.png

#10 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:47 AM

"Flies like your field points". Does this mean it will "group" like field points or does it mean it will "impact at the same point" as field points ? I shoot 3 blade 100gr. Muzzys, they always shot about 2 inches low and 2 inches left of my field points, but I just adjusted my sights and never worried about it, however today, some people obsess with getting them to impact the same place as their field points, I don't think it's needed, as long as they group good. I'm not a machine, but I have not had mechanicals group any better than fixed blade out to 30yds, however, at distances greater than that, under all types of weather and conditions, they seem to be more consistant than fixed heads, but it seems that one needs to be shooting more horse power at longer distances in order to get the desired effects with mechanicals than one does with a fixed blade, cut on contact head at the same distances.

#11 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:08 PM

I agree, IMHO, "Flys like a Fieldpoint" is simply the result of some Marketing PHD (ie. Piled Higher and Deeper). I've posted this before and I'll keep it up. FOC's and Drag Coefficients between broadheads and fieldpoints ARE NOT the same. That fact makes it physically impossible for them to impact the same hole as a fieldpoint. The only broadhead I'm aware of that has a chance of equaling fieldpoint FOC is Rockets' new Bunkerbuster head. But even that head WILL NOT have the same Drag Coefficient.

Bottomline, pick what you like and they will hit where they hit. Sight in accordingly. Bruce made a very good post about this recently.

Jere and Jeff make good points on the crosswind effects on fixed vs mechanicals. I probably think about cutting diameters opposite than most folks but hear me out. The smaller the critter the bigger the cutting diameter the better. You've just got a smaller margin for error on small critters and the larger cutting diameter really helps. On bigger stuff IMHO as long as you poke a 7/8" hole thru the vitals you are putting meat on the ground. On big stuff a 7/8" hole anywhere in 6inches of vitals gets the job done. On small stuff the vitals may only be 7/8". You've got a way better chance taking out a piece of small vitals with a 2" cutting diameter vs a 7/8"

I need to point out Huck's favorite head the Easton's faired very well in the accuracy department. So score one for him on knowing what he's talking about there. BTW, he never claimed they were reusable wonders and honestly I don't know of a Mechanical that is. These heads are quite economical as well.

I've too heard the buzz about "Rage" heads. However, they only offer 100gr, so I won't be trying them with my current set-up anytime soon. They didn't test the Three blade Rage. I've also heard the 3-blade version has some problems if one blade deploys before the others. IE. what you would expect on a quartering shot. I don't for sure know if there is truth to this but the explanation seems reasonable. Apparently, if one blade deploys ahead of another it blocks the deployment of the other blade. That doesn't sound good. If I get a chance to lay my hands on some and see if that's possible I'll let you all know.
Posted Image

#12 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:19 PM

Good stuff Boyz!!
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#13 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 03:36 PM

That's why we call it Hunting Resource right because of this great source of knowledge and I always pick up something of value from these threads.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users