• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:47 AM

I gotta open a can of worms & vent. I really question the commerialization of deer hunting and the Celeb Hunting show hosts who jump on the band wagon promoting certain products.
FIRST....I understand that product endorsement is the finiancial lifeblood of hunting shows...but I believe that there's a line that too many hosts cross.

2nd...I respect each host for their God given abilities to be able to achieve the success which brought them to the forefront as expert hunters/fisherman.

...but I was sick at heart this morning as I watched the Outdoor Channel where "C'mere Deer" was heavily used to saturate a tree then a large buck was harvested as the host archery hunter made mistakes which he openly admitted too.(noisy clothing/ noisy draw/ poor shot) Mistakes that normally would have sent any whitetail away in a cloud of dust before the arrow could've been released. They actually went & found the arrow then returned to the stand to see the buck re-enter the area and collapse on film. Immediately afterwards a commerical came on with a few of the biggest names in the industry endorsing the "Newest 8th wonder of the deer hunting world"....Acorn Rage ! Great pics of trophy buck licking piles of the stuff off logs,etc. ...what a bunch of deer sign residue !

I'm not looking for this post to take a bunch of rabbit trails into other types of hunting scenarios....just saying it'd be nice to see a few of these hosts get back to the basics which they've seemed to have abandoned. Lace up the boots & hunt ! :fudd:

Edited by Phil, 21 August 2007 - 06:50 AM.

Posted Image

#2 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:04 AM

Amen Phil. Preach it Brother!!!!

What I wouldn't give to take one of those guys for a good ol' PA death march known as a Deer/Bear drive.

Edited by Charles, 21 August 2007 - 08:05 AM.

5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:18 AM

In all honesty, I've tried "C'mere Deer" and it didn't work for squat. We sprayed grass and shrubs well before season which should have been "eaten down in a week". Nothing, and I do mean nothing, browsed on that stuff at all. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that "Acorn Rage" just might not work like magic the way that the ads say either. ( :lol: ) It's marketing, plain and simple. I'm sure that just like with any deer lure or attractant there are times that some things do work and many more times that it doesn't. (Just like the deer pee I keep buying because of that one or two times total where a buck actually did trail it in and stuck their nose right to the wick.)

I'm not sure what show you were watching, but I suspect I know. (I think he should stick with fishing on camera. ;) ) I'd have to say that more than likely the deer was in a penned area and that was why it stayed around the way it did. :peace:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:46 AM

I've also tried the C'mere deer product, I feel I need to point something out.

IME, it only works if you spray it on something deer are ALREADY currently eating. Only then can you spray it on other things and get "CUTE" with it. Even then it's wise to limit this practice.

Think about it, if you never tried chocolate before and your first exposure to it was a chocolate covered turd. You wouldn't be too thrilled about trying it again.

As far as the commercialization aspect. Advertising is advertising. There is no free lunch.

Edited by Leo, 21 August 2007 - 09:47 AM.

Posted Image

#5 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:51 AM

Good luck Phil,,

I don't have anything nice to say, so mamma said keep my mouth shut..

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#6 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:07 AM

I don't use lures or baits period. What's the point?
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#7 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:25 AM

I think humans, in all aspects of life, have an innate desire to find "shortcuts to success", including hunting. Less time, less energy, less work required, to acheive the desired results. An "edge" if you will. Manufacturers of hunting products recognize this and capitalize on it. After watching numerous "hunting" shows, it has become apparent that most are mere "info-mercials" for the sponsors products, with a few hunting scenes thrown in as "Fluff". The conundrum is however, without the sponsors, there would be no show. One would think that if the products worked as well as the sponsors claimed {C'mere Deer, Code Blue, etc.} we would all be shooting monster bucks each year, and that ain't happening. I too, yearn for "real hunting" shows, but I wonder how long my attention span would last watching hours of shows with nothing happening, just like real hunting. All in all though, I would still take the hunting "info-mercials" over Oprah and Jerry Springer.

#8 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:00 PM

I think there are a couple out there that are worthy of watching. I for one love watching Jim Shockey.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#9 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:12 PM

I think I meant Acorn Rampage....but anyway,
I'm not condeming fenced hunts on large tracts of land as a whitetail (or most pressured game animals)can dissappear in a tiny amount of cover and one very good hunter on this board shared with me how incredibly tough a Texas hunt for exotics proved to be in a few hundred acres of fenced land. Eastman's hunting journal/ Jim Shockey/ & a few others are still good to watch....and Cabela's memories of the Field come to mind. Just seems to many Hosts who were fun to watch are now just advertizing ambassadors who'll plug any product. :thumbsdown:

I'll say this....Gopher Mounds or not...the host of the show I was watching wouldn't be able to keep up to PAridgerunner or any of the rest of the gang for 1/2 a day of the type of deer hunting we do and he's got more than a few years on him ! :hunter:
Posted Image

#10 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:49 PM

I agree with Leo. It's been mine and Jason's experience that deer will pass right by anything like the current magic elixers as long as there's a natural food source available. They will only come to this stuff if by some miricle they somehow get a taste of it. To most it is alien to them and I've watched deer actually give differant a variety of products a wide berth. They actually spooked the deer.

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:50 PM

Yea one push through the big hollow tends to even any playing field and humble the boldest.

My neighbor used some c'mere deer last spring to try it out. He put it right beside a very well used trail that about a half dozen deer routinely used and they never even stopped to investigate it. Maybe you have to set the bag next to it so they can read it.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#12 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:14 AM

the only attractants I use are scents I dont bait I dont lure I go out several times before season to get my scent out in the woods and then use tinks 69 or some other doe in heat or estrus but thats all I use I know some that put apples out (where there are no apple trees)(didnt see anything that day)(and the apples were rotted after a week nothing ate them) you have to be carefull when and what you use if its not something thats natural in the area IMO it can scare them away instead of lureing them in
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#13 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:51 AM

Phil,
i seen the Acorn Rampage commerical and a familiar face came up as part of the advertisement ..DW from BO ..i guess money talks in the hunting business after a while..As some have stated.. 99% of the deer attractants won't work in our neck o the woods but will work in the high fenced hunts in texas simply because theres nothing else to eat but thorns and cactus. I to am guilty of using a doe n heat lure every year i think maybe out of the 15 or so yrs i've used it , maybe it drew a buck in 1/2 the time ..or less but every yr i say i won't use it again i always find myself going to walley world and buying tinks again..

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

#14 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:56 AM

Nothing works as well as the wind in your face, positive thinking, boot leather, a little sacrifice, good friends,...and a prayer or two! :D

I do not have a lot of time to watch tv. I guess I'm not missing anything!
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#15 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:49 AM

You know... I took a little time to find out exactly what "Acorn Rage" really is and I must say... If anything from a bottle really was going to "work" to attract deer, this stuff has as much potential as anything. From the Acorn Rage Web Site, "Acorn Rage is real acorns crushed and blended with roasted soybean meal". I don't know about you guys, but any time I've ever been able to hunt near a white oak acorn tree I do it! Deer really do seem to love to chow down on those little Ivory-Soap-flavored ankle-turners known as acorns. I'm not saying it works, and, yes, you can tell just from the commercial that the company is into slick advertising. But, maybe I (and dare I say "we") should at least wait until it's been out a while to make that call.

Now, whether or not it's "right" to use an attractrant... IMO, If someone can sit right next to an apple orchard, corn field, or white oak acorn tree to hunt then I don't see why they shouldn't be able to pour out some apples, corn, or acorns if they so choose. But, that's just me. Of course, these days we have other concerns such as the possibility that bait piles promote the spread of disease such as CWD. But, that's another story.

... I do still stand by my statement about the show I think you saw the "C'mere Deer" on though. ;)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users