39 replies to this topic

#16 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:40 AM

I agree with Jeff with the TV programs being info-mmercials. And if they didn't show some action in the short time they actually have they loose ratings, prime showing spots and viewers. I have a DVR recording my favorite shows cause I too don't have the time to see them when thy're on. It is amazing to me how I can fast forward through the recorded show and any all commercials in a program to watch just the hunt portion and how much total time is actual hunting. I can watch a half hour show - any show on the ODC in about 10 minutes. And even during the host hunting portion they are still pushing a sponsor's product like TC rifles for one on Jim Shockey show. It's getting to be more of it every season too. TV programs are money driven by sponsors on any channel.

I have used the c'mere deer as well here in Ohio where it's legal to bait. Leo's right about how to apply it from my experience. Jeremiah made a good point on different hunting styles with baiting naturally and Uncle Ted says it all about baiting if you ever get to hear him go on about what baiting. To Uncle Ted baiting in the broader sense could be a game call or mock scape and he's right if you ask me.

Phil has a great point and so does Will but in view of it you'll never see any show host do this cause they don't have the time with the format of the show being 20 minutes of commercials. Being from a State where baiting is okay that hunt might have been taken in differently from that of a person where it is illegal and understood how it wasn't okay. I didn't see the show but if it is who Jeremiah thinks it was he's right - he's a better fisherman than a sponsor for some hunting products. But he did carry it on to the next generation and I give hime credit for doing that.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 09 October 2007 - 02:19 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#17 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:45 AM

Yea one push through the big hollow tends to even any playing field and humble the boldest.

My neighbor used some c'mere deer last spring to try it out. He put it right beside a very well used trail that about a half dozen deer routinely used and they never even stopped to investigate it. Maybe you have to set the bag next to it so they can read it.

Now come on Paul, put the bag next to the pile so the deer can read it? Don't you PA boys know deer can't read? Must an Ozark fella teach you guy's how to do things right? Put the bag next to the pile, sheeesh. :rolleyes: What you have to do, my friend, is run an extention cord from the nearest outlet to the pile. Then you plug in a portable tv ( with built in VCR of course ) and play the deer a tape of the info-mercial. It also helps if you put out a cooler filled with soft drinks so the deer have something to wash their meal down with, assuming the info-mercial convinces them that the pile of foreign substance is something good to eat. Now that you know how to do it I expect to see pictures of you guys huge bucks. :D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#18 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:18 AM

Spirithawk that may be the best advice out there. I would try it but can't figger owt what VCR is. Lol
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#19 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:11 PM

I may have been slightly confused on my reply. I meant I had nothing too nice to say about celebrity hunters.

I have no problems with baiting at all, where it is legal..

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#20 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:30 PM

I personally have hunted over bait myself. My son-in-law has a feeder at his food plot it is one of those that works on a timer. When that thing goes off it makes quite a racket and once in a while is like a dinner bell. I have also hunted over piles of corn and seldom if ever saw a deer come to it. The one on the food plot brings in raccoons, birds, bunnies, and squirrels everytime it goes off. His woods is so thick youcannot see more than a few feet in any direction, some of it is poison ivy and is nearly impossible to hunt at ground level. Even after hunting over bait I would not choose to do so as it makes me uncomfortable doing it. I may try rattling and grunting
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#21 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:45 PM

. " I may try rattling and grunting"

Well that explains the racket coming from the outhouse! :o

Now that I've cooled off a day...my apologies to anyone who might have taken offense to my ranting...Sorry !
I guess we(at least myself) feel betrayed when larger than life heros slip off the pedestal. I know legal baiting is the best way to harvest game in many areas and also is a great way for hunters with physical limitations to achieve success....but those that have the ability to hunt as Will suggested should enjoy it to the fullest . :peace:
Posted Image

#22 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:56 PM

Well that explains the racket coming from the outhouse! :o

Now that I've cooled off a day...my apologies to anyone who might have taken offense to my ranting...Sorry !
I guess we(at least myself) feel betrayed when larger than life heros slip off the pedestal. I know legal baiting is the best way to harvest game in many areas and also is a great way for hunters with physical limitations to achieve success....but those that have the ability to hunt as Will suggested should enjoy it to the fullest . :peace:

that would be the grunting but wheres the ratteling come in play there Phil LOL OH you were talking about an outhouse blind thought you were talking about the other kind of outhouse LOL

that is why yes I use a stand, blind, scents and that is all I use to be honest I dont grunt I dont rattle just me against the animal (besides me having a gun and they dont LOL) but only use a decoy for turkey no baiting no salt no nothing I have seen it tried and have not seen where it worked at all use natural bait as said by a corn field or other type of natural (thats been there for a period of time) (that has another purpose then to bait the animals ) and out smart them instead of "tricking" them

Edited by irinman2424, 22 August 2007 - 08:58 PM.

I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#23 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:29 AM

Good ole pile of corn, but then again if corn prices keep going up it will be to costly to even use that..
Oh by the way i'm GLAD to be back home from Afghanistan/Kuwait ..not sure what i was thinking whenever i went but i should have been slapped.. up side the head....

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

#24 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:52 PM

Want a real deer magnet? Do like Jerimiah said. Find you a White Oak tree with a good crop of acorns. Deer prefer them above all else.

#25 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:06 PM

why is it all of a sudden almost all the shows n the ODC are using deer decoys now they have been around for a long time and heard so much negative about using them now all of a sudden BOOM everyone is using them

Posted Image

#26 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:25 PM

Seems nowadays everyone needs a gimick to be differant and grab your attention. What ever happened to just grass roots hunting?

#27 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:47 PM

Seems nowadays everyone needs a gimick to be differant and grab your attention. What ever happened to just grass roots hunting?

thats what Im saying thats why I went back to Bow hunting to get back to the "basics" or "grass roots" and make it a good challenge to be able to claim some wild life

Posted Image

#28 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:59 AM

Filming is expensive. The equipment is expensive. The crew is expensive. Travel expenses for the crew are expensive. Tags for the hunters are expensive. The fancy trucks (boats, blinds, bows, rifles, etc.) are expensive. Everything about TV hunting is expensive. They can't afford to take the time to film "natural" hunts - just ask an old time member of the Bushnell Secrets of the Hunt boards. He came all the way out here to Colorado for Elkatraz I with a crew, equipment, the whole 9 yards and did it the "natural way". If I remember right there is not one single brown hair on any piece of film from that entire experience. Unless you count McBruce's mustache during his interview that is. ;) It's all marketing. The average Joe hunter will more readily buy the rifle, bow, scent, camo, rod, reel, boat, whatever that they see actually TAKE an animal or fish on TV. It's the old, "I wanna be like Mike." routine.

So take Outdoor TV Programming for what it is and for what it's worth and just consider it entertainment rather than any sort of realistic portrayal or educational experience. In my opinion anyway.

As for bait - leave me out of that de-bait. :doh: :no:
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#29 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:32 PM

Wouldn't it be something if a host started the program with ..." Today we'll be hunting in a 5 acre enclosure with several trophy buck confined within it ..." :o
Posted Image

#30 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:57 AM

I see some shows where hunting is a compitition like who can get the most animals in so much time. To me hunting is a time to enjoy Gods great outdoors weather I bring home game or not. I have started a new chapter in my hunting life as I introduce my son to the sport, what a joy. I don't get to hunt the way I used to like covering a lot of ground but we always have a good time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users