39 replies to this topic

#31 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:33 PM

I see what your point is Phil and it's all about the money. Without it, their shows wouldn't be on the air. Was that the shot that was way too far back and appeared to be a liver shot?? I remember seeing one this past week where the guy shouldn't have taken the shot. For quite awhile I've been in the hunting show mode where I'd switch from the Men's channel to the outdoor channel to versus. I got to the point where I'd watch the hunt if it was interesting and then I'd switch it off during the kill shots...especially with rifle. Think maybe I've just gotten to the point that I've watched too much of it.

#32 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:00 AM

well folks here i go...me myself enjoythe art of scouting, and putting my wits to work...i'm not saying i'm the best but i take deer every year and i take several of them...i get more pleasure out of going in and finding the food source and setting up on it and just seeing what i see or take for the setup. of course it took many a days of failure but the failures tagught me how to take advantage of the setups...i have tried bait piles and all i did was get the animals to start feeding at night...so i think the best way is to do your homework and hope you'll get an a for effort...if not you haven't failed you put forth your best effort...and yes deer hunting has gotten to commercialzed now a days.... this is my opinion....
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#33 Bob LeBlanc

Bob LeBlanc

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:05 AM

I gave up watching the hunting shows when I realized that they had given up on teaching people how to hunt. They are way too commercialized, and way too dependant on these magic elixirs that they tote as being the buck magnet.
Yeah, they have to pay for their ventures, but, sheesh, the skill of the hunter is being lost!!

I have spent the last couple of years 'helping' my buddy get into deer hunting, and now, bowhunting, and he has watched and read everything he can to 'inform' himself. Long story short...I can't get him down out of his tree, from over his bait pile or food plot!
He couldn't track a deer in a fresh fallen snow...or walk through the woods without disturbing every deer within a 2 county radius. "Captain Cabela's", as I call him, has more gadgets and trinkets in tow every time he goes to stand that he has to buy a new, and bigger, back-pack, each year!
The value of the hunt, and hunting, is being over-shadowed, and relayed to the new hunters, that big bucks (deer) are what they HAVE to shoot, and big bucks (dollars) are what they HAVE to spend to be successful...and it just ain't true!!!

Then too, there is the personna that the non-hunting public is being broadcast, and I can tell ya outright, that the 'tree huggers' are spinning a negative view of the 'tree sitters', with all their potions in tow...

Man...I gotta stop...I'm starting to rant...

Bob

#34 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:00 AM

"Captain Cabela's
ROFLMAO

ok lets see...optics, gps, range finder, knife.
bow & arrows.

lets go find some elk :) (OPPS...DEER ) wrong thread :)

Edited by McBruce, 29 August 2007 - 08:04 AM.

McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#35 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:06 AM

You're not ranting Bob, you're speaking the truth.

With passion!
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#36 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:51 AM

Being from Texas--I will say us local boys laugh at what the rest of the country is using/buying to atract deer!! :lol:
There is a whole lotta advertising out there and no results. Bottom line , someone is out to make money.

We are allowed to feed deer(use corn)-most of the guys around are management minded die hards who care about the herd in their neck of the woods. We run a strict feeding schedule on our lease-protien feeders latter part of January all the way to the end of August to help the local herd getting over the winter, help the does that are pregnant and dropping fawns during this period, and provide the bucks with needed nourishment/and stress for/from their horn growth, also the corn is beneficial for ALL WILDLIFE (turkeys,rabbits, birds etc,etc,etc) that feeds on it. Most hunters i know and ALL the guys on my lease run their feeders year around. Great for pictures too during the off season. During the season it is mandatory for us to run our feeders-great way to supplement also. Its a win/win situation for all including the wildlife.
We do see quite a few deer= alot of fulfillment. Always in the action, don't feel pressured to shoot either. I watch prolly a 500-800 deer a season-i never get bored of that either. "Our rule" everywhere I hunt is to shoot only mature deer @ 41/2 yrs or older, with the exception of culls/spikes. I havent pulled the trigger on a "mature trophy" in 3 seasons now. I have been harvesting cull bucks (3-4-5 yr old spikes/3 pts/4 pts)though!

"FEEDING" is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. All the attractants I see on T.V. =i stay away from!!! These "ambassadors" on some of these shows give us all a bad name sometimes!!! Their excuse...they are getting paid to do it!!. I think sportsman need to educate themselves a little better on what deer really eat/want!!!

As far as acorn rampage or whatever its called...deer will eat acorns when they are dropping over anything else!!! BUT-when the acorns go sour(and quickly they will)...they will NOT eat them!! Therefore I don't think this stuff would be much effective! :no: ....sorry to rant on so long! :)

#37 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:12 AM

I think this has to be one of the best discussions ever here.
-Eric

#38 WRBH

WRBH

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:hunting,trapping,fishing,camping and life in general

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:47 AM

Just wanted to throw my two cents in real quick like. I use to be able to tear up the woods with the best of them. Walked an average of 6 to 7 miles every day in Idaho with a friend to help her lose weight, and would do the same in the woods. Unfortinaly those days are long gone, with curent health 100 yrd can put me down for a few days. Randy spent 3 months this past summer finding where the deer were moving through, then putting out corn and sweet grains twice a day to keep them using that trail. He set up my ground blind a month before season. It's all because of him I now have meat in the freezer. He takes me out on the 4-wheeler, drops me off, then picks me up at dark. I really miss being more independant, being able to scout for deer. Even just hiking. This way at least still allows me some chance to have a productive hunt. One reason this has worked so well this yr in AR, is that we had a late frost that killed alot of the white oaks around here, then a real brutal summer where we were averaging 110 dgrs with the heat index. There are very few acorns out there, so deer are really having to look for food. The doe I took doesn't feel as good as say the buck I took by myself in 2002, using leg work. But I still have some pride that I harvested her. And seeing as Mom and I were too the point we were talking about a nursing home for me last fall when I went down for two months, just glad I'm still able to get out there.
As for Those food products like C'mere deer and such. think I'll stick with real food. Way I look at it, I'd take something I know, like a cheeseburger over Eel or Shark fins soup any day,lol

#39 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:32 PM

I too am teaching my son to hunt and find it more rewarding to have him miss a shot or not take one that is bad then any other part of the hunt anymore.

City hunters are city hunters. Anything to take a short cut as Leo said. Real 'wind in your face' hunters know the difference.

Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe and take a kid along. It'll be the best thing you've ever done.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#40 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:57 PM

I too am teaching my son to hunt and find it more rewarding to have him miss a shot or not take one that is bad then any other part of the hunt anymore.

City hunters are city hunters. Anything to take a short cut as Leo said. Real 'wind in your face' hunters know the difference.

Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe and take a kid along. It'll be the best thing you've ever done.

right on charles...i'm now this year teaching my granson how to really hunt (when we've gone)...finding the sign and knowing what it's telling was...how to track and how to make the best setup for the terrian...he's learning a lot and now looks at hunting in a different light...he's told me last weekend it's more fun....and i told him just wait until you take the deer you want that you've found, over the setup you've made....it'll be a more accomplished hunt and more gradifying.....
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users