6 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:10 PM

Posted Image

Since today there was no rain (we need it in the northern end while the southern end of the State is flooded) I decided to shoot (as if that is something new). I decided to shoot the Green Mountain Barrel that is stainless steel and has a 1:28 twist and is mounted on my T/C Renegade. Now this GMB does not have fiber optic sights. It came with a brass front sight and standard adjustable rear sight. I was glad for that.

I took an empty carton from a Diet Pepsi box. I first put a red dot on the side of it and shot my range finder out to 100 yards. I set that up in the steel bullet trap and got out some 300 grain .452 Speer Gold Dots. I wanted to shoot them up and wanted to try them with different powders.

With 110 grains of Pyrodex RS they shot real good. Although to be honest, the 2" sticky bulls eye I put on the box was a waste because I could hardly see it at that distance. But over all with Pyrodex RS the Speer shot a real good group with the open sights. I then marked all those hits and broke out some 2f American Pioneer Powder. I loaded 100 grains of that and sprayed that box all over the place. I could not hold any kind of a group at all. So I broke out 100 grains of Triple Se7en 2f and put five of them in under a 2 inch group. Trouble is the box was so shot full of holes you had to be there to understand the group... so no pictures on that.

I then cleaned the barrel real good and decided to load 70 grains of Triple Se7en 2f and a 460 grain .503 diameter Bull Shop conical. I turned the box so the large white bottom of the carton showed. Since I did not think putting another little red dot on it would do any good. I just told myself to aim for the center of the box. Like it was the kill zone of say an elk or some other large animal (its nice to dream a little) .

The first shot on the clean barrel was a little wild, almost missing the box. Not a confidence builder by any means. Without swabbing I shot two more. They actually touched. Now I was getting excited. So I swabbed the barrel but not real good. I shot two more and they hit high, over the two that touched. So I swabbed again a little better then the last time and shot two more. Those hit low, but overall.. not counting that first clean barrel shot, the group was at two and a half inches. I was more then pleased.

So I decided to kick the powder charge up to 80 grains of Triple Se7en 2f. I swabbed the barrel and it shot higher then the others and to the left. Still I guessed it was going to throw them near the others. Then without swabbing I shot two more. I marked the 80 grain hits with an + so I could tell them.

I decided on my next order or when my sizing dies get here, to reduce some of them Bull Shop .503 to about a .502 and then try them. The .503 load OK, but I have to kind of force them in. Not like when loading the White, and I did not expect them to load like my White Ultra Mag..

I think I will mount a 1X scope on this rifle also, and then see just what this rifle is really able to do. It is a good shooting rifle. Although today for some reason I got a lot of hang fires. I have learned to shoot through a hang fire but I really could not explain to myself why they were happening. I was swabbing careful, drying the barrel, although it was hot and humid out. But still, I have shot in that kind of weather before.

I was using Dynamite Noble 1075 RWS caps. I think if it had been the CCI standard caps there would have been a lot of no fires, and maybe some colorful phrases on the range...

But over all it was a great day shooting...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:03 PM

Boy that is some good shooting with open sights at 100 yds. Congratulations you have not lost the touch at all.

Question. Are the sizing dies adjustable or do you have to get a different one for each size you want. I am thinking about that tight barreled Traditions buckskinner I have.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:19 PM

I should be getting a custom made mold any day for my White Ultra Mag. The problem is it will throw a .507 diameter conicals bullet. So I have to size it down. I then looked on the LEE reloading site and can get a .501 diameter sizing dye. This will have to be reamed out to a .5045 diameter. I was thinking of getting two of the dyes and making one a .502 diameter, and that way I could cast my own conicals. All I would have to do is size the bullets I want. Plus I have to get a press.

The sizing dyes are not adjustable to my knowledge. I really do not know all that much about them but intend to learn a lot.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:25 PM

Today I wanted to figure out why I was getting hang fires yesterday. I think I might have figured it out. As I was able to produce a hang fire and also to make them go away. I moved the bench rest up to 75 yards today because it was raining and I wanted to be close to the house should a real down pour start.

Yesterday I was swabbing with a 50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and car windshield washer fluid. Today I swabbed with pure isopropyl alcohol and the hang fires stopped all together. When I did swab with the mix, they returned. So for some reason, this rifle does not like the mix. I also noted from yesterday that the groups were a little to the left, so I gave the rear sight two clicks to move the POI over a little.

Posted Image

Being there was a light drizzle, I figured if the rifle would act up. Today would be the day. Just the two times I swabbed with the mix was the only problems I had. I started off shooting 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f instead of 2f like yesterday. Shots RED 1-4 sprayed all over the top part of that piece of typing paper.

So I then decided to try some Graf's Black Powder in 2f and some .44 caliber 300 grain Hornady XTP's with green crushed rib sabots. I swabbed the barrel with alcohol and fired three times without swabbing and then swabbed and fired two more. I was very pleased with the group. And would have shot one more, but did not want to risk my luck..

So I swabbed the barrel again, and loaded 70 grains of Triple Se7en 2f (like yesterday) and a 460 grain .503 BullShop conical and shot two rounds. I noted that the sight adjustment now had the group hitting to the far right and a little high. But I swabbed and shot two more. This time #4 was a flier. I noted though that I almost had to pound that round down the barrel to get it seated. So I swabbed really good again, and shot two more. These loaded fine. And again, it shot a very good group other then #4 sailing...

So I still think if these are .503 then I need a .502 diameter. I ordered a digital caliper today so I can check the rest of the boxes I have. I almost suspect they are a .504 diameter and maybe mislabeled. We will see when the caliper gets here. If they are .503 then I am going to size some of them down to .501 & .502 and see how they shoot. Although from an accuracy stand point, these are great. But it takes my stainless steel range rod to get them down the barrel. Conicals should not load that hard.

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:12 PM

Cayugad your experiment is very interesting. I have always preferred to swab with alcohol only because should there be any cleaning residue left in the barrel it is a combustible material that should not affect the next shot. Guess my preference has been substantiated.

I also have a ritual when I am shooting at the bench. I swab my clean barrel with a wet patch and two dry ones and let it set till I have placed the target and set up the bench. I then load the rifle and shoot. I then immediately swab the barrel with a wet patch and two dry ones and then let it sit till I have retrieved the sabot or patch and have checked the target. I then reload and fire again and perform the ritual all over again.

I know that this slows me down a bit but when shooting but I usually want to know where my rifle shoots with a clean/swabbed barrel as that is how I hunt. This procedure also keeps my barrel relatively cool so heat does not affect my testing. My Rifles with the GMB ( Knight Bighorn and Accusporter) seem to group very well with a clean/swabbed barrel although a second shot without cleaning does not hit exactly in the group it is close enough to use out to 100 yds. I prefer to hunt this way as I can let it loaded even a couple of days this way without any fears of fouling being present inside the barrel. I also carry several wet patches in a film canister and some dry ones in another canister when I am hunting. In my experience, over 90% of times I have got a shot I had ample time to swab the barrel before loading in the field. Seldom did I need to quickly reload for a second shot in the field especially if I make the first one a good one.

Please do not think I am trying to tell you about any errors you are making as this is not what I intended at all. I just merely stated what I do and have never had any problem with hangfires using my procedure(s).

I really enjoy you sharing your testing in such detail and I have learned a lot from your experience.

Thank you my friend.

#6 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:23 PM

No I am not thinking that at all..

I was looking on the Green Mountain Barrel sight and they have some real interesting rifles and barrels coming out on the market. They have a Hawkins with a made to shoot conicals, 1:24 twist barrel and a 6X brass tube original model scope on it... really looks sharp. They also have a .458 barrel with a 1:18 twist. That would be the same barrel as on a long range sharps rifle. All of them have my interest right now too...

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:56 PM

Oooh I'll be looking for those.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users