17 replies to this topic

#1 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:50 PM

has anyone used or seen the ones that they have at wally world for 99.00? they are 15 foot 500 pound capacity 2 man comes with 2 safety harnesses shooting rail that flips up for archery hunting cushion that holds the "foot warmer" type packets to keep your tushy warm (2 slots for these one in each seat) while sitting out there waiting on one to come by Ive been looking at them thinking about getting one so when my daugter is here we can hunt together or when Im by myself I can have the extra room or have Heather up with me with a camcorder when Im hunting they are not a "name brand" but at 99.00 vs. 149 and up to 399 for pretty much the same thing figure what is in a name on something like that it will serve the purpose sorry I put it in fishing instead of hunting gear review

Edited by irinman2424, 23 August 2007 - 07:12 AM.

I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:47 AM

No problem I moved it here for ya.

I'll be perfectly honest the Two-Man ladder stand thing has always made me nervous. They've got to be incredibly difficult to put up. They all look very top heavy. Putting up a ladder stand or taking it down is the most dangerous thing about them. Honestly, I stretch the limits of most single man ones anyway and an extra person in one even designed for such scares the heck out of me.

For taking kids along I'm a way bigger fan of big pop-up ground blinds for two ;)
Posted Image

#3 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:13 PM

I have a popup that fits 2 ok not alot of room to spare but can and has been done problem is when Im in the air a bit seems I have better luck and the area that I hunt you can get better distance Ive had deer walk right up on me before seeing them due to the cover and that makes it hard to get ready when they are 10-20 feet staring at ya some as close as 5 feet so at that point its useless to try and get a shot any movement will scare them away and you wont get that shot I know that with the bigger platform, seat, and more weight I need to be carefull where I put it on what tree etc... safety harnesses are another big issue and straps to ensure that it dont move on ya when in it
so there is alot of things to consider with a 2 man vs. a 1 man stand

Posted Image

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:48 PM

I don't think it would be that bad hunting out of one Todd. It may be a challenge getting one up being that they are a little on the heavier side, but I don't see it being more dangerous that a regular hang on
-Eric

#5 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:52 PM

and with that being said Eric when I get ready to go hunting I go out about 2-3 weeks prior (minimum 2 weeks preferably 4-6 weeks) and get set up and leave it set up till season is done or Im done hunting and with doing that I have help setting up my things and I help set up for others so that aspect wont be a problem and once set up it stays there no moving it unless I absolutely have to same with my pop up blind once its set up it stays there if needed I can take it down but prefer not to

Posted Image

#6 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:55 PM

Got one like it. Hunted from it for two years. Killed a number of Deer from it. It's even better after it's been up a year or more and the Deer don't care about it anymore. I'd go for it.

A 500 pound rating means it will most likely support more. I've had my father-in-law and my son in ours and it's rated at 300 pounds. I'd say with them in it, it was about that. They didn't think it was unstable at all.

Happy Hunting!!!

Edited by Charles, 23 August 2007 - 07:58 PM.

5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:41 AM

We used two man stands in my bear hunting in Canada and had no problem with my guide and myself last fall in it together. That was about 400 pounds. They do need some careful setup so they stay firmly in place. This last trip Bruce had one roll and shift around the tree cause it was not locked down to good. I would think it would be something to consider if it wouldn't get it stolen. In Ohio there's way too much of it going on. I'd chain it and lock cable it in place and hopefully it be there the next time.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:28 AM

it comes with a ratchet strap that secures the top I was going to add another one on the bottom then run a chain or cable through the rungs and around the tree with a lock on it and where I hunt at there is no trespassing and someone is always home so it shouldn't be a problem

Posted Image

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:39 PM

Jason and I have two "buddy" stands. Both bought at wally world. They aren't too troublesome to put up if you use common sense. They are best suited to be put in a place you intend to leave them a while. Jason and I can put one up fairly easy but it's best if you have a third person to help. The goods things about them are;
1) They are VERY sturdy and solid once set up. They are the only stands I've ever felt comfortable being in. ( I'm not crazy about heights)
2) Some come with the cammo skirting to hang from the rails which hides a lot of movement or you can buy it for about $20 if it doesn't come with it
3)The bench seat has a fairly comfortable cushion
4) They are awesome if you hunt with a youngster or a lady
5)If like me and Jason, we sometimes hunt together out of one but more often alone, then you have room next to you to set your pack or gear rather than have to hang it from something
6) Because they are so solid ( Two ratchet straps, we added the extra one ourselves, one at the base of the platform and one at the top attatched to the railing, and a brace from the ladder to the tree. ) they are very quiet.
7)For $20 you can get an umberela that attatches to the tree above you to keep sun, rain and snow off of you.
8) At right at $100 they are one heck of a good value
9) You can both rifle and bow hunt from it with equal ease
In short, the benifits far out weigh any draw backs. Heck, if ease of set up is an issue then buy a climber. But if you want a good value and a very stable stand with lots of room and comfort the the "buddy" stand is almost impossible to beat. We also have a heavy duty locking cable to discourage thieves. However we had one stolen by animal rights yahoos that took a hack saw and destroyed the stand to get it down. The one mentioned that rolled around the tree was the fault of who ever set it up, not a flaw with the stand. We've had ours in place for 5 years and never had it shift an inch. We make a point of inspecting the straps to insure there's no wear or slack in them. Just a common sense thing to do. As to set up we do it like this; you judge how far from the tree the base of the ladder should be. One person puts their foot at the base to keep it from sliding while the other two walk the ladder up till the stand is against the tree. They while two hold the ladder steady, the third person climbs to the platform and ratchets the base to the tree. He then climbs down and we attatch the brace from the ladder to the tree. It will be fairly stable then and one of us climb up and pui ihe other ratchet strap around the tree and attatched to the top of railing. The add a chain or locking cable and you're good to go. It takes us about 15 minutes start to finish.

Edited by Spirithawk, 28 August 2007 - 05:55 PM.

#10 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:55 PM

I have one and use it a lot. I have had me and the boy in it plus I have taken my granddaughter too. If you don't take some one with you it just gives you that much more room to move around in it. I put it up by myself, it did take a little more time. I used a couple extra rachet straps on it but man, it does not move at all. Easy to get in and out of. So for $99 you can't go wrong, and at the 500 pound rating it will take that and a little more. Good Luck and God Bless.

MD

#11 adam23

adam23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and guns

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:40 PM

Me and my room mate have one its a tight fit for two but can be done i also bought a blind for mine witch was wonderful to keep the wind off you pacificoutdoors.com think they call them sky lodge i have the bow hunter blind but they do make a rifle one too
Adam23

#12 Buck

Buck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:34 AM

I use them in 4 spots and my 10 year old daughter and I sit comfy. Remeber these are only 12' to 15' high. I wrap burlap around the shooting rail. Cuts wind and covers little moving feet! They are a bear to put up as they are top heavy, but it is worth the effort to have her up there w/ me. I'm not hunting for me , I'm hunting for her. We take food , drink and can sit for a good 3 hours. I have killed deer out of them, hunt them like your climbers use many spots and hunt the wind and trails.

Edited by Buck, 10 April 2008 - 08:41 AM.

#13 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:20 AM

well guys sorry for the delay I did get one for my Bday last year in Sept and had it set up and got to hunt out of it a few times (with no connection but did see some) it has room in it and will fit either myself and daughter or wife with no problem. I stand corrected there is 2 rachet straps on it one at the top of the rails and one at the platform you stand on. once its set up its real stable I did have it start to twist on me as strapping it down but it didnt go too far. it has a camo piece that goes up under the seat that doubles as a place to put things as well as blocking the movement. this year I was thinking about getting some material and haveing the wife sew in some magnets to have a wrap to go around that I can take down when not using it with ease also have tie downs on it so it can be left up for longer periods without worrying about it flying away so far I am verry happy with it. the platform lays right on my shoulder and the straps hold the ladder together so if its just one putting it up balance it on your shoulders and one hand with the other hand you can carry the ladder. side the ladder together and put it on the platform prop the ladder against the tree and walk it up, slide the bottom out and strap it down its rather easy to do yes it is top heavy and makes it alot easier with 2 people but its manageable with one. (and thats coming from someone that has issues with back and spine someone that is is in better condition or in average health should have no problem)

Posted Image

#14 Blood Bath2006

Blood Bath2006

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:34 AM

Great stand for the money. I suggest you buy some rubber washers for it though :D
Posted Image
Sonic Pro Staff Shooter

#15 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:00 PM

I hope you get many years of enjoyment hunting from it. We sure love ours. :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users