Adopt An Elk

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:40 PM

This spring we had the elk herds come through our area, on their migration from winter feeding areas to summer high country . This one yearling got separated from the herd. We watched him for weeks roam the creek bottoms and pasture...all alone.

The rancher had some animals ( I'm not sure what they are ) they are long haired wooly creatures.( appear to be High Lander Cattle ) look sort of like a musk ox. anyway...they adopted this yearling elk. If you see these animals out in the pasture you are 99% sure to see a young elk with them.

Well today they were not 50 yards off the hwy bedded down and sure enough , there in the middle of them was the elk. I cracked up when I saw....its a spike bull :)

Amazing how Mother Nature can be so curle at times and other times, animals that normaly would never be found togther, adopt in and care for a lost or hurt animal.

enjoy the pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by McBruce, 23 August 2007 - 08:28 PM.

McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#2 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:08 PM

Talk about lost...
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#3 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:06 PM

Cool Bruce!
-Eric

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:46 PM

Oh I know what that is. A new subspecies of elkattle, it's where the satellite bull elk come down is the praires and breed with a one of these wooly cow and this what you have here. Looks like an elk but really it does know how to be an elk. :lol:

Cool pixs Bruce. You're right about how nature can do its own thing. ;)
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:09 PM

Elk were originally a plains animal. The way I see it is that is one elk that is getting back to its roots. Either that or he is of the limp hooved type and digs cows of wierd linage.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:34 AM

Bruce, I believe your shaggy long horned neighbor is a Yak. I got a ticket from a polite young State Trooper leaving your house last year and pulled over right next to where the long haired beast was hanging out. Yak ranchers are trying to make Yak meat the next big thing now that Bison is getting more common. The old "leaner with more protein so it's healthier for you so break out your wallet if you want a steak" schtick. Maybe your neighbor is cross breeding?
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#7 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:25 PM

Those are Yaks. The white and black ones are called royal yaks. Pretty Pricey

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#8 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:39 PM

:) ok YAKS...and our Yaks have adopted a spike bull elk :)

pretty cool to watch.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#9 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:28 AM

Darn I thought I had it figured out as an elkattle! I never heard of elk and Yaks getting together like this. Yeah something new alright. :lol:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:32 AM

Now lets see a cross breed between an elk and a yak. Hmmmm Could be called a yelk. Should be easier to hunt though, imagine a herd of yelk standing in a circle with their wierd horns facing out. Come to think of it trying to shoot one of those shaggy boogers might be a tough job with only a frontal shot. Might have to wait and find one at a wallow or as the ruffians say waller.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#11 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:44 PM

slight correction here...might find one in a Waller or as the flat landers call it... a Wallow

and to think we had to show em what Colorado Milk Duds were as well ;)

ok all this yaking is making me thirsty....see ya all after a tall cool one ;)

and Mark...please don't come out here and tag out on a jackalope... :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#12 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:42 AM

Ren & Stimpy rode Yaks in the episode that they were Royal Canadian Mounties....wonder which one ticketed Larry?
Posted Image

#13 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:09 AM

:lol:
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users