5 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:15 AM

Am needing to have my computer cleaned and reformatted with a new operating system and was wondering if the windows Vista operating system is a good choice?

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

#2 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:30 AM

IMHO, not until SP2 maybe SP1

I'd go with XP Pro if at all possible.

Have you considered LINIX? Many feel it works very well with little in the way of lost functionallity.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:29 PM

Totally just my opinion here...

But, honestly, if I were wiping a system clean at this point in time and I wanted/needed Windows I would go for it. This is because XP is scheduled to be discontinued early next year. Like it or not, anyone running Windows is going to need to make this move sooner rather than later if they want the best program compatibility, live updates, and the best support. :(

If you do this, go to the Vista website and scan your system to see if everything is going to be compatible first. Know that even if the scan passing everything with flying colors, there will likely still be some issues.

Lastly, there are still definitely some bugs in Vista. (If you search around the forum here, you will see issues with Vista Windows Media Player already and there is no "HotFix" or ability to uninstall/reinstall it within Vista.) Like Charles mentions, waiting until after the first big update would be ideal. But, again, since you are wiping the system clean now anyway... I don't see why you would want to be doing this again possibly within the next 6 months or so.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:23 PM

Thanks
i knew i could count on you computer guru's to steer a person in the right direction..

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

#5 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:39 AM

Jr has a point here however; in a business environment you need stability. Vista is not there yet and even XP has problems, it's a Microsoft product for goodness sakes. Now, even though Microsoft has officially not supported Win95, 98, ME or 2000 for a while you can still find all of the knowledge base, tech tips and downloads on there site. Does this mean that Win 95 is the best OS for you, no. What it does mean is that you can install a stable version of a Microsoft OS and still find all the files, patches and technical help you'll need to make the product work.

And when Vista is stable you can do the same thing with it. Again, it's Microsoft for goodness sakes.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#6 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:34 PM

For us it seems like Vista is no more problematic than XP that we had before. But we really don't do much with it conpared to what some people do.
-Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users