• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 05:16 PM

Today started out rather good. I was using my Lyman .54 caliber Trade Rifle flintlock. I had casted some .535 roundball to try out of it. When I shoot .530 diameter ball I shoot 90 grains. So I figured I would start the shooting with the slightly larger ball at 90 grains. I refer to the ball I cast myself as HC roundball which of course means, home casted roundball.

Posted Image

Shots were all taken at 75 yards with the open sights off a bench. Shots 1-4 were pretty good, but they seemed to be floating around the bull. So I decided to kick the powder charge up to 100 grains of Goex 2f.

With 100 grains, shots 5-8 were really making me smile. Then every thing went down hill from there. For some reason the ball started flying all over the place. Some of the shots even missed the 8x11 inch sheet of paper. I figured the barrel needed to be swabbed. So after swabbing it got better for a couple shots, but then went right back to spraying all over the place.

I checked the powder measure and it had not gotten bumped. The powder seemed fine. I was really puzzled. My sight picture was good. And the target was easy to see, even though it was seventy five yards.

I then checked the sights to make sure they were all nice and tight. They were fine. I checked the wedge pin and that was fine and in place. So I changed flints. After firing a total of fifteen shots...

Posted Image

and for the last seven unable to hold anything even close to a group. As you can see, two hits almost off the box from the 15 and two other shots.. well you explain to me where they went. I gave up on the rifle and changed to a different one for the rest of the day.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:12 PM

Cayugad knowing how careful you are and as much testing you do I am a bit baffled as to the bad flyers. Since you were using hand cast Roundballs I am sure you were careful of the location of the sprue on the bullet. I always try to center them straight up. Did you examine any patches along the way. Were they showing signs of being cut or burned.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:02 AM

The patches are fine, so all I can attribute it to were the ball I casted. While they looked fine, casting out of a lead pot is not rocket science. I am going to get some store bought .535 and see what happens with them. Another thing I suspect is perhaps the rifle was fowling out. But I seriously doubt that as well. It really threw me for a loop. Especially since the rifle was shooting so well in the begining.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:04 AM

Any chance that the powder itself was persnickiddy and causing the issue ? Maybe try a different brand (heck, it'd be a great excuse to shoot again :fudd: )
Posted Image

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:40 PM

Anything is possible... I was going to shoot the rifle again today but company came over so we shot some simple tradtiinal cap locks today so all could shoot and load... Wasted over a pound of powder but it was a lot of fun anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users