16 replies to this topic

#1 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:13 PM

We just finished a day of making hay here on the farm. Take a look...

5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:32 PM

Way to go Charles. Gotta make hay while the sun shines. Was that grass hay, that is what it looks like to me.

For some of you in other parts of the country our hay crop is usually alphalfa.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:39 PM

Very good Paul. It's a mix... Timothy and Alphalfa... You can see that some of it is more green and that would be the Alphalfa... More for horses then cattle... Easier on the stomach of the horses and all.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#4 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:35 PM

Yes Sir,
looks very familiar to me !!..used to be in the hay fields at least 4 days a week working for different farmers around here.. everything from, cutting , raking , baling to high in the top of the barn filling up the loft ..Now most farmers around close round bale their hay because of
lack of help..and some still square bale the good stuff such as clean alfalfa and timothy but have been using those self picker/stacker gizmos from new holland ..

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

#5 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:21 AM

The rake and baler look good but the tractors are the wrong color. :D

#6 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:26 AM

ahhhh...the memories !
I used to have Croup as a kid so I couldn't work very long up in the loft picking bales off the elevator, had to ride on the wagon as the "Stacker" since we didn't have a kicker baler. Liked the 1st cutting but the 2nd cutting usually had a few nastsy prickers so gloves were a neccessity. Baling straw was the easiest but ya looked like a tan coal miner without a lantern by the day's end. Most we ever put up in a day was 18 wagons :heat: ...and ya gotta love the old clawfoot bathtubs in the farmhouse before showers became a standard....dunk under to get the hay chaff off...then try to figure out how to stand up without all off the floaties clinging right back on ! Those were hard back busting happy days that I wish today's youth could experience. Wonder if a gym equipped with Machinery sound tracs & the smell of fresh mown hay would fly...nawww, probably interfere with cell phone reception :hmm:

Thanks for the memory jog Charles !

Edited by Phil, 02 September 2007 - 05:27 AM.

Posted Image

#7 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:45 AM

Phil,
i sometimes wish i could return to them days ..althou the top of the barn loft did get a tad HOT long about the time the 2nd cutting of hay was ready..

#8 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:04 AM

Cool Charles! My dad talks alot about haying back in the late 50's and 60's. It was always super hot whenever they did it :heat:
-Eric

#9 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:50 AM

Phil,
i sometimes wish i could return to them days ..althou the top of the barn loft did get a tad HOT long about the time the 2nd cutting of hay was ready..

Yepper Dennis ! I spent hours straddling windrows on an old Ford "601 Workmaster" or the small Massey Ferg. with hard steel seats .rolling hay over with the rake....then we'd get the the JD 2520 hooked to the baler & wagon. It was hot but stacking bales sure smelled better than pitching the old straw out of the stalls into the "Honey Wagon". I think Larry$ still gets that little duty once in awhile! :lol:
Posted Image

#10 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:56 AM

...and nobody ever checked to see if you felt good about how you were doing your chores....I can remember what happened if ya didn't :help: ....sure taught a young person how to work and I'll admit that those lessons have served me well all my life ! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#11 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 02 September 2007 - 01:03 PM

:heat: :heat: I'm sweating just watching. I remember that well. Get er done while you can. The weather never seems to cooperate during that time frame. :hmm: One thing puzzles me though. Your horse is a funny looking breed. :) I remember doing that with a pair of Belgiums in tandem. Ahhhh, for the good old days, when you were in good shape and had excessive energy.I wonder who said that when you get older, it's the golden years. I'm a firm believer that now it's the rusted years. :)

#12 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 01:16 PM

Dennis they have outlawed the round bales in PA. The animals can't get a square meal. Lol
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#13 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 03:05 PM

Paul,
your full of it bud i mean full of it...lol

#14 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:38 AM

A couple of quick things here...

1) It's always hot when you're making hay because you can't have wet hay. It will rot when bound up. and it's SUMMER!!

2) We do squares because they're going for $7 bucks each wholesale in Maryland.

3) We did rounds for the first cut and didn't find it hard to off load at $50 bucks each whole sale. Again, the going rate in Maryland. However, the $7 buck per square was more $$$$$ in the end when we did the math.

4) I HATE HAY CHAFFF!!!! Or how about the yucky sinus issues you get for the next week after everything is done. MAN!!!!

Well, making hay is not for the weak of heart. IT IS REAL WORK!!! I'm just glad I work in an office so I have somewhere I can rest when we're done, lol.

#15 MuleDeer

MuleDeer

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:24 PM

Not surprising to see it takes 10 or 12 blue tractors take the place of one good greeeeeeeeeeen one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users