• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:39 PM

Nothing against ya'll but something like this only comes around once in a guy's life time...ok, maybe twice. Several months back, I became the lucky owner of a Colorado Rocky Mt. Goat tag.

With the pending building deadline, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to hunt this beautiful creature or not.
If there was any time to hunt (the season ran from Sept. 4th through the 20th), I had to spend it chasing a billy. It is such a coveted trophy here...I hope ya'll understand. This tag makes hooorrrible tag soup! It is certainly a tough one to swallow in the event it's not filled. I had to find a away to make it happen!

While in Florida, My pal Fatty offered to help out. I gladly accepted! A date was set. He and I were going goat hunting. Sadly, Big Marty, who I dearly want along on this hunt, injured himself. A decision was made. I was going solo.

I could not sleep the night before the hunt. I packed and repacked everything I could possibly need. I left the house at 4:00 am to begin my high ascent. These goats live right in front of Heaven's doorway.

As the sun eased its way into the eastern sky, my 12 power binoculars begin to work their magic. I spotted two different groups of goats. Their white fur stands out like a sore thumb. I think their camo was God's way of saying "there they are, go get them....sucker! Unfortunately, these goats were way too far away for me to make a move-at least on this day. I began devising plans for the next day's hunt. How was I going to access the goats? They were perched on a ridge two miles away (as the crow flys)...

I walked the 2.83 miles back to the truck. Within an hour I had my plan for the next day laid out. It was time to go back and put the goats to bed for the even.

Long story short...When I returned to the spot where I had glassed the goats earlier, I could not find them. ut oh....
The sky was hazy...maybe if I tried spying from a differnt angle.

I moved and glassed. I glassed and moved...no goats in sight. And then, right below me, where I wasn't even expecting a goat, I found a solo goat bedded down. Thank you GOD! The goat was alone, it had to be a billy. I pondered my approach...loose gravel and a very steep mountain...it wasn't going to be easy.

I slide on my backside for what seemed an eternity! At one point I rolled several rocks ahead of my descent. I thought for sure the stalk was over. I really think the goat was deaf and blind (yeah right).

Without going into the details, I screwed up my first shot (I had taken several falls earlier. Neither I nor my equipment was ready to go when the moment of truth was upon us). It became necessary to finish the goat with a high powered rifle. In the end, I was happy to have my second goat in the bag. She turned out to be a 9 year old nanny. And to think, goats rarely live past six years...

Here are some photos from the goat hunt:

http://hunting.sendphotos.com/storage/shared.aspx (click on 2007 mt. goat in Hunting's story photo album).

I think the photos will give you a good idea of where these beast live. It was a blessing to be up there with em!

Enjoy!
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#2 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:46 PM

AWESOME pics and story Will thanks for sharing
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#3 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:04 PM

way to go huck!
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:20 PM

Awesome pics Huck!
-Eric

#5 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:36 PM

Bad Arse Will! Truly amazing pictures and quite an accomplishment to boot!!!! Grats Buddy!

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:46 PM

Way to go Mr Huck the ultimate ruffian.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:05 PM

without a doubt its your year.....you need to guy some lotto tickets :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#8 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:50 PM

I have to commend you once again, my friend. My apoligies for my injury and you having to hunt solo, I have felt badly from the moment I knew it wasn't possible for me to accompany you on to the mountain.

It was the best choice and you, once again rise to the occation. Your success is second only to sharing your comraderie. You did good bro.

Respect
Marty K aka Fatty, friend of Huck

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#9 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:17 PM

Sweeeeeeeettttttttt

thats the only way to describe it, way to go bud

R L
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#10 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:05 PM

Huck Thanks for posting the story and the pictures, you made it sound like I was right there with you. Congrats on a great hunt.

MD

#11 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:43 AM

:D Huge Congrats Will !!!
Posted Image

#12 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:56 AM

Totally congrats in accomplishing this high adventure quest. I'm in awe at what you've done Huck this year, that's counting Africa too. Hey and those pixs from above the tree line are way cool. Thanks for sharing it with us.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#13 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:50 AM

Yep, you're our Huckleberry!!

Awesome, Will.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#14 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:59 AM

I've heard it said that goat country starts where the sheep country ends. Sure looks like it in those photos.

Congrats on filling your tag with a VERY special trophy.
Posted Image

#15 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:56 PM

All I can say is WOW!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users