19 replies to this topic

#16 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:00 PM

Leo,

Goats live in some of the steepest country you can imagine. You really cannot tell from the photos just how steep this country is, but look carefully at the photo of the goat and me. Notice the rocks piled up in front of the goat's belly. Those were placed there to help keep it from sliding farther down the mountain. With the first shot (I hit the goat above the knee and below the thigh on its left hind leg), the goat did a head first dive off a 50 foot cliff. It hit the bottom and barrel rolled another 300 yards down the slope. It slammed into a rock! I mean WHAM! The rock was the only thing that kept it from going another 600 yards down the mountain. I throw my binocs on it. Unbelievably, the goat was still alive after the fall! It raised its head. She was weaving and bobbing like she had just come off a super fast merry go round. She moved down the hill and bedded down. I tried several times to get close enough for a second shot. It was just too steep and too rocky for that to happen. There was literally nothing on which you could firmly plant your feet.

Thanks Rowdy, "Sharing" is what it's about for me. And thank you everyone else!

Dave, I was 2.83 miles from Boswell Gulch. Do you remember? It was where you saw that monster bull when you were here!

Edited by iamyourhuckleberry, 12 September 2007 - 01:01 PM.

Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#17 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:40 PM

You're awesome Huck, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

what a stud!
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#18 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:46 AM

Way to go Will! Nice pictures. :unsure: But, which one is the goat? :lol: ;)

#19 Hungry Horse

Hungry Horse

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:07 PM

Huck; Congratulations again, on a fine trophy. Thanks so much for sharing your hunts with us Flatlanders. The terrain is as beautiful as I rememeber from 2004. Are you possibley hunting on Mt Yale. You can do a pm on that if you like. Too bad the equipment and you had a few bad falls, messing you up for a clean kill, as I know you always want them. Glad you were not hurt. I remember how rugged and dangerous the Colo hunts can be, especially in all the loose rock and steep drop offs. You are having a great year, God is being kind to you for your kindness, and love you show your brothers of the hunt . HH in Pa :D

#20 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:42 AM

congrats will, thru your hunts i can still go to places i can only dream about...your stories and pic's are fab.... and thru them i'm(we ) are there with you...thanks again for sharing these moments with us...and it looked like you had found heaven up on those mnts...
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users