#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:24 PM

Today I was trying to site my bow in and have a question. With 5 arrows it seemed like it was never failing at 10 and 20 yards that the first one would be way off, the next to would be touching or near touching, and the next two would be touching but about 2-3 inches from the first two. Would this just be a coincidence?

Also, are there any tips you can give me on sighting a bow in? For some reason whenever I try I either end up getting nothing accomplished or end up making it worse.

Thanks!!
-Eric

#2 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:36 PM

with Bows Eric its hard to say without seeing you I know with me 10 and 20 yards I do great and when I start at 30 they start going all over and I know part of that is out of practice and not holding still. I also have noticed that the grip that you use has alot to do with it too when I started shooting without knowing it I was gripping too hard and creating a twist so now I slow myself down and use an open grip and close the hand when the arrow is free of the biscuit there is alot of scenarios that could be causing it I try my best to shoot at least once or more per week
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:19 AM

Today I was trying to site my bow in and have a question. With 5 arrows it seemed like it was never failing at 10 and 20 yards that the first one would be way off, the next to would be touching or near touching, and the next two would be touching but about 2-3 inches from the first two. Would this just be a coincidence?
Also, are there any tips you can give me on sighting a bow in? For some reason whenever I try I either end up getting nothing accomplished or end up making it worse.
Thanks!!

By no means am I an a pro at this. But I could try to give you some help. Jeremiah, Bruce, Huck, Leo, Jeffj and some others I'm forgetting would be some great help.

It sounds like a small bit of target panic when you shoot your first arrow. Once that one is shot you settle down and really aim. Like Irinman2424 started to say was it's in your form, like the grip, your bow arm, your body facing 90 degrees from your target, etc. has a lot to do with consistant grouping during every target practice. And everyone has a bad day of shooting.

Before your first shot draw back hold it and aim like you're going to shoot but don't and let it down. Or another thing to try is blind bale shooting. Walk up very close to your target like less then 5 steps and draw back your bow closing your eyes and feel your posture without truely aiming your bow. Then release your arrow at your target. It's not important where your arrow hit it just that it did. Do that several times before really shooting. And to get past that grouping thing move back to 30 yards and sight your bow in for a it. Those 20 yard shots become easier.

Sighting in your sight isn't hard just takes some time. Once you find your top pin at the yardage you want say 10 yards and it is consistant. Then move back 10 yards while aiming with your 10 pin. Where the arrow hit drop your second pin down to align with it. Do the same with the third. This will get your close and some fine tuning will be needed by adjusting your pins or your sight up or down. Left and right adjustments happen when changes with the wind or weather or going broadheads from filed points or new arrows, all kind of things come into this one.

I'm totally sure that one of the other guys are going to be more help. :yes:

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 16 September 2007 - 06:30 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:26 AM

Thanks Rowdy! I always though that you were suppose to move each individual pin at its respective yardages. Your method seems a lot easier. Thanks! Does anyone else have an advice?
-Eric

#5 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 04:04 PM

I tried sighting in again and I have 10 yards sighted in perfectly but I couldn't get 3-4 arrows even close to touching at 20 yards. Most of the time they were all over the target. Why wouild this be happening? I REALLY need to get sighted in ASAP because today whe set our blind up.
-Eric

#6 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:21 PM

Eric 1 question for you how are your arrows entering the target? are they entering straight? are they entering at an angle different from what you are shooting such as the knock end being off center?

Posted Image

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:41 PM

I tried sighting in again and I have 10 yards sighted in perfectly but I couldn't get 3-4 arrows even close to touching at 20 yards. Most of the time they were all over the target. Why wouild this be happening? I REALLY need to get sighted in ASAP because today whe set our blind up.

Run'ngun I'd like to help but I need more info first. Are your arrows hitting both right and left of your targeted spot? Or are they all right or all left? Or are they up and or down as well? Tell us what your setup is, like what sight, arrow rest, and release you're using. Irinman has a point if your arrows are hitting and the nock end doesn't aim straight back to you then they could be hitting the bow upon release or your arrow rest is not tuned in and needs moved just a very small bit like 1/32" at a time. The other thing is your nock point on your string alignment level with your rest? There is several things to look for here.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:53 PM

Rowdy the reason I was asking that is when I changed the draw length/ weight on my bow, at 10 yards I was doing great nothing out of order but when I stepped back to 20 yards the arrows were like hands on a clock the tips were hitting to the left a bit this time to the right a bit that time etc found out that in the changes I had to change the arrows because the spines were not stiff enough for the setup as it changed and I was thinking with string stretch or any changes he might be facing the same thing

Posted Image

#9 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:57 PM

Thanks guys for answering back! Today I was shooting with my older cousin who has been shooting bows for a lot longer than I have. He cleared a little bit (not much) of the inaccuracy by switching the arrow so the two green fletchings were on the inside of the bow opposite of the way I had been shooting. I think the fletching may have been knicking something upon release. We did a small paper test and everything was looking all right.

Tommorrow after school I'm going to work on my form and the way I hold the bow. I'm hoping that that is what is wrong and the bow isn't as messed up as I thought.

I understand the basics about site-ing in a bow, but am just worried that I'm going to screw something up and the total site will be off.

Do you think my Whisker Buiscuit could be causing accuracy problems with regular vanes? I'm using just a regular Tru-Fire patriot release, but I don't think that would do anything.

Another question: Today I noticed that a couple of my arrows have some small gashes in the paint, but there is not structural damage to the arrow. Is it safe to use still? Can you mix and max arrows but still have the same broadhead and have the same POI?
-Eric

#10 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:02 PM

Eric on a wisker Biscuit the "######" (odd) arrow should be shot in one of 2 positions either at 12 o'clock or 9 O'clock so that the veins dont hit the black (stiffer) part of the Biscuit and that will cause inaccuracy problems

Posted Image

#11 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:36 AM

Thanks guys for answering back! Today I was shooting with my older cousin who has been shooting bows for a lot longer than I have. He cleared a little bit (not much) of the inaccuracy by switching the arrow so the two green fletchings were on the inside of the bow opposite of the way I had been shooting. I think the fletching may have been knicking something upon release. We did a small paper test and everything was looking all right.

Tommorrow after school I'm going to work on my form and the way I hold the bow. I'm hoping that that is what is wrong and the bow isn't as messed up as I thought.

I understand the basics about site-ing in a bow, but am just worried that I'm going to screw something up and the total site will be off.

Do you think my Whisker Buiscuit could be causing accuracy problems with regular vanes? I'm using just a regular Tru-Fire patriot release, but I don't think that would do anything.

Another question: Today I noticed that a couple of my arrows have some small gashes in the paint, but there is not structural damage to the arrow. Is it safe to use still? Can you mix and max arrows but still have the same broadhead and have the same POI?

Hey run the three vanes on your arrows have names. Hen and c@ck vanes. The odd colored single vane is the c@ck vane the other two are called hens. The nock slot usually aligns with the c@ck vane so when you nock the arrow on the string of your bow its one of two way, pointing up or pointing down. I think with the whisker biscuit rest you should be shooting the arrow with the c@ck vane in the up position. Mudduck use the whisker biscuit and has lots of experience with them. I used them them for awhile myself and had no real issues with them. Great hunting rest.

The paint gashes on your arrows might mean something but what I don't really know what to explain. It might be where the arrow stick into your target and the paint stuck. I'd be looking at your vanes more for rub marks from hitting the bow as it leaves the rest.

Get you cousin to help out with your form, form is very important and smallest thing can throw your shot off. Have your cousin take a few pictures of you holding at full draw so one of us can see if we can help out. Form sometimes can be a personal way you are st full draw and comfortable too but consistancy is how you stay accurate.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 17 September 2007 - 12:40 PM.

#12 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:15 AM

Run, it sounds like you have a mess! :lol: At 10yds, everything seems fine, and at 20yds, you are all over the target? Lets assume at 20yds, that you are holding steady on the target. Check for straightness of your arrows, using an arrow roller. Slight bends may not affect your accuracy "much" at 10yds, but will get magnified the father you get from the target. "Scratches" in the paint on your arrows may indicate they have been hit, which could bend them slightly. Also, considering your poundage, I think it would be hard to get your arrows under-splined, but you could be over-splined, re-check that. Mis-aligned nock point or arrow rest individually should still allow you to shoot groups somewhere on the target, although you stated it shot fine through paper. The statement "all over" would lead me in the bent arrow direction first.

#13 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 04:00 PM

Thanks everyone for your help! I'm just heading out to shoot a little bit to check if maybe it was the way I was nocking the arrow and my form. I'll keep all of those things mentioned and will let you guys know when I come in again!

Thanks!!!
-Eric

#14 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 06:41 PM

I started out at 10 yards and everything was okay, not what I'd like. It was about a 4 inch group . At 20 yards things were the same as 10. At both 10 and 20 yards I was getting a couple flyers but at 30 yards some of the arrows were going in crooked (didn't happen last time) and a 5 arrow group looked like a 7 inch circle with 1 or two always going way off. I tried moving the 30 yard pin when they all were high and down when they all were low. I got totally calm and used the same grip, anchor point everytime but they never got even close to touching at 30.

I don't really want to hunt until everything is perfect, but I guess I could try using the 10 and 20 yard pins only but I would rather not lose a deer because of a poorly sighted in bow.

I need one of you guys to live up the street from me.
-Eric

#15 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:44 PM

Run, I like the rest of the guys here, would rather see you shoot first. But with the rest that you are using the Whisker Bisquit, they have to be tuned well. It doesn't take much for them to be out of alienment. I wish I did live closer to you but that is not the case. Try putting some talc powder on the bisquit where the metal begins and shoot to see if the vanes rub any of the powder off, that would be in my mind the first thing to try. Let me know. If you need more help just give me a call and I will try to talk you thru some things. I will pm my phone number to you.

MD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users