#16 Bob LeBlanc

Bob LeBlanc

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:57 AM

run'n'gun,
Take a felt tip marker and number your arrows. When you shoot your groups, take note of the # on the arrows that are flying out from the others. If they are consistantly the same #, set them aside for further inspection.

If your bow is reasonably tuned, I am thinking that you probably have a shooting form issue. When you step back to 30 yds, don't be so focused on the target and where your arrows are grouping. Think form and form only. Many people try to 'help' the arrow to the target or see how its flying and they, inadvertently, give the bow a small jerk at release...after all, the bow is in your way from seeing what the arrow is doing. You may not even realize you are doing it.
To help alleviate this problem, it is good to close your eyes after the release, while keeping the bow steady in its shooting position. Don't even look at the target before you get ready for the next shot.
Relax, smooth and steady...relax, smooth and steady...that should be your thought pattern.
...and you should probably lighten your grip on the riser, too. The bow should only be in contact with the 'V' between your thumb and index finger... not gripped by them or the other fingers (this causes torquing).

Bob ;)

#17 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm defiantly going to try the things mentioned. Thanks again.
-Eric

#18 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:26 PM

Run:
if someone has a video camera you can use. set it up and film yourself shooting. set the camera up on a tri pod and turn it on and let it record. if your target is infront of you, your camera should be 90 degs of that so you can see your form , Now after each shoot. look at the camera... bullseye/ first ring, second ring, flyer.

announce what ever the shot was. when you look at the tape you can see if you jerked on the one called flyer
or did you push your bow as you released. did your release hand jerk. did you punch the release instead of squeezing it

next item dont try to be so stiff that your ridged and holding that pin right on the bullseye. your gonna have wide groups every time.
when you are looking through your peep, let the pin float, it will move around the bullseye and slowly squeeze the release. when the release lets go, you should almost be surprised. you will find even with the site pin floating, your groups will tighten up. its amazing how it works, but it does.

the more ridged you are, the worse it will get. the more relaxed you are the tighter your groups will get .
:)

keep us informed on how it goes.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#19 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:26 PM

Thanks Bruce! I'm planning on having my mom at least take a couple of pictures of me shooting tommorow after school and I'll post them for you guys to see if I'm doing something seriously wrong. I'm writing these things down so I know what to work on tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone.
-Eric

#20 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:22 PM

still photos might help...but doing it with video will show you movement. ask around, someone will loan ya a video camera so you can give it a shot :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#21 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:13 PM

I just go in from shooting. I was talking to my cousin on the phone and he suggested that I try field tips this time because they are more consistant. Not sure if it's true but I decided to try it.

I made a mental note about the way my form was and repeated it everytime. I would check things off in my head while I was getting ready and in full draw that you guys told me to do.

My average grouping was about 3.5 inches. I think it's almost good enough but I think I know why I can't get them closer. I'm just wondering how it can be a surprise when I release. It seems like I'm always anticipating the shot and the release and can't seem to get into that much concentration for it to be a surprise. Am I doing something wrong by anticipating it and not being in total relaxation and concentration? I really think that this might be my problem.

Thanks for your help!
-Eric

#22 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:44 PM

It's more like concentrating at the target than on the release. If you just keep your mind on what you're trying to hit the release will happen without punching the trigger. It's a slow squeeze that make the surprize of the release.

I would recommend shortening your release so your finger wraps around it until the trigger is close to your first big knuckle. That's so a little movement possible will set it off and not the end of your finger. If you're using your end of your finger on the trigger finger you tend - we all tend - to punch it and that creates alot of motion and that opens up your groups.

Once you get your field points close in groups then get the broadheads on for some shorts. When the field points get so close you tear up fletching you're doing great. Start testing yourself by moving farther back. And the fun continues and never ends.

I am it seems always messing around with something on the bow or changing broadheads with different arrows to find better matches. But it's a challenge and fun. Really it is. ^_^

Keep asking Run'ngun - we'll help you - won't we guys and gals. :)
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#23 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:22 AM

Thanks Rowdy for your help! I'm going to try that later today. I hope that clears up the problems I have been having. I REALLY appreciate all of the help you guys have givin me over these past couple weeks.

Thanks again
Eric
-Eric

#24 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:43 PM

http://www.bowhunting.net/bowtube/media/85...c_-_Larry_Wise/

Run'ngun I just watched this video and you might find it interesting for sighting in your bow. Also look at this Pro's form. Enjoy.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 25 September 2007 - 03:20 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#25 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:58 PM

alot of good points there RY
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#26 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:20 PM

The idea of just using one pin is very interesting. Are there really any downsides to this? This may be something I would maybe like to try. Instead of buying a new site I probably could just remove the two other pins so I'm left with one. Does anybody else just use one pin here?

Thanks Mark for the link!
-Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users