7 replies to this topic

#1 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:57 PM

since I bought the bow from Woody Heather has been hinting and looking at bows here is her problem though (sorry Heather truth must come out LOL) we were having my peep adjusted and she was looking at bows I asked (knowing that 40 is the minimum for hunting in Ohio) if they had one that she could attempt to draw at 40 the tech set one down to abut 39 she did get it back with some struggling. is there any exercises that she can do to help that?? I know that I got the PSE after I knew that I could draw a bow again and sat in the living room drawing it to build the muscles up to where I was comfortable and could do it with minimum strain at 50 pounds. 42 pounds she CAN NOT draw at all. it wont be this season but Im hoping to be able to get her in the field with me for bow season within the next couple years
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#2 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:39 PM

She could try one of these, although I've never tried it. Push-ups, pull-ups, and normal weight lifting help a lot too.

Good luck Heather! (not that you're going to need it or anything :D )

Bow-Fit
-Eric

#3 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:37 AM

there are items such as Runs' link shows...they work, but your best bet...get a bow that has a 10 lb range adjustment. set it as low as you can 30 lbs and let her slowly work up to 40 lbs. most bows will actually go over their max lbs by a couple. so a bow would hit 42 lbs.

it is much better to start off on a very easy draw weight and make sure form is kept proper, then trying to over draw weight and causing poor or bad forum to occur. shoot 20 -50 shots a day...after a week, give the limb bolts a 1/2 turn and keep working it up. she;ll be there in no time.

good luck
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#4 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:52 AM

thanks Bruce didnt want to spend money on other things that could be going into a bow I was wondering about that but wasnt sure about how much one would go down (min draw weight vs max draw weight) to get the variation in adjustments that was needed and didnt want to have to buy 2 bows 1 for her to get to x pounds then another for continuing working her up and for hunting
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#5 Whitefeatherwoman

Whitefeatherwoman

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:04 AM

Thanks guys for the advice! Anything to help me get out more with the hubby is much appreicated! Although I try really hard not to be a girly girl, my arm was extremly sore for days after the throwing of clay pigeons for him. I know I need to build some muscle mass for all sorts of things. Archery, Hunting, Photography, and Maybe (dreaming here) beat Todd at his own tickle game!

I think, for me, I will try just some basic arm curls both forward and backwards.Start with, maybe small weights or half gallon jugs of water, and build my way up. I love the idea of starting with an actual bow and working my way up to where I need to be and keep my form and aim down to science, but right now finacially it won't be possible until we know where we will be living and working in a more permant environment. I am not one to do push ups, sit ups, etc. Losing 150 pounds like I did, I did lose some muscle so I know I need to do it slowly ( used to lift 50# of boxed chicken on a daily basis one box after another with no problems, now I can't do it but once and I am done in). Besides that I don't want to be in pain on a daily basis. Like I hear most often feel the burn, don't feel the pain! (LOL I know, I know no pain no gain! LOL)

Our dream? Maybe one day be somewhat like Lee and Tiffany. How cool would that be to do what you love for a living? Meet all sorts of great people while doing it? While we are not anywhere near thier calibur (YET!) We have met some wonderful people on here and in person and know where we got our start in our love for the outdoors reguardless of how we enjoy it (hunting, fishing, photography,etc.) So thank you to all of you for your frienship, love for life, and much needed advice.
I would rather be on a lake thinking about God,
then sitting in a church thinking about fishing.

(unknown)

www.myspace.com/heatherapowell

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:55 PM

Heather, Bruce hit the nail on the head. Get something you can draw now and practice, practice, practice. By getting something near your maximum ability now will only discourage you from shooting it. You sure don't want to have to deal with really sore muscles while trying to learn to shoot. Get a bow that will allow you to learn the basics of shooting first and then build up the arm and back muscles gradually with good form.

By the way women make better natural archery shots than men but if you have to struggle too much to draw the bow back while learning to shoot the biggest part of the archery sport, the mental part, will not develop positively and learning to shoot absolutely demands a positive mental attitude.

You would not learn to drive a car by first getting into a NASCAR vehicle nor should you try to learn to shoot a bow with something you just cannot handle right now.

As for exercise I would recommend something that is spring tension or rubber band tensioned that you can hold in your bow hand and pull towards you just as you would when you draw a bow. If you know someone that is a trucker you might want to ask for an old truck inner tube and cut a big rubber band from it and use that as an exercise band.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:23 AM

the actall areas you want to work on , is your back muscles. back eons ago in high school sports. the excersise you would do was go to the weight bench ( coffee table ) place your dumb bell ( milk jug of water or sand ) on the floor. Place your left knee on table. bend over place your left hand on the table, now reach down and pick up your dumb bell ( sand jug ) off the floor, bringing it straight up to your chest. ( this will work the muscles between your shoulder blades ) and these are actually the muscles you use when drawing your bow back. ( the term back tension release ) is just that your flexing the back muscles to cause your hand to pull into the trigger of your release.

some bows have a range of 10 lbs some are much greater, depending on make and model. most of the main bows PSE/ Hoyt / Mathews ; Bow Tec are gonna have a 10 lb adjustment range.

IF you can pull back 37 lbs...take it down to 30 and you should have an easy time drawing, and just work your way up. slowly.

a certain chef I know...couldn't lift her arm for a week after getting her new bow and over doing it ;)

poor larry..about starved...he had to learn to butter his own toast :)

good luck.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:21 PM

That's not trouble Irinman2424.

You go for it girl. It's great to be out doing the archery thing especially with your hubby.

Just sart out slowly, do it slow and build those muscles slowly so you don't injure yourself. Rome wasn't built over night. Doing rowing exercises are good for back and shoulders or lifts like BruceMc explained are good too. I own the the Bowfit that Run'ngun mentioned and high recommend it. There's a short video done by one of the owners of Double Bull Blinds on bowhunting.net that explains how good they are for the bowhunter.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users