19 replies to this topic

#1 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:53 AM

I just seen a commercial on TODC for new powerbelts they have a bigger taper (the taper is longer and comes to a smaller point at the tip)on them making them more aerodynamic better distance more accuracy (or so they are claiming) the disc is a fluted gas instead of being just a flat one that they are claiming you can get better pressure increasing distance speed and shock at impact (again this is what they are claiming) has anyone tried these yet? they are called powerbelt platinum instead of being the "gold" color they are platinum color
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:25 PM

I have not tried the new powerbelts. I was under the impression that the platinum powerbelts were designed for penetration on elk size game. One of the complaints on the old powerbelts were, elk hunters and some deer hunters as well, claimed they hit the deer and the bullet literally disintegrated. Some of them claimed no blood trail, and or just small pieces of powerbelt all through the animal. The platinum were supposed to hold together better, making more penetration and better expansion on big game.

The flatter shooting and better pressure is interesting too. Maybe they were loosing too much market share to some of the other conicals out there when hunters, not satisfied with the old powerbelt performance switched.

Another complaint of mine about the powerbelts is the price. I think it is crazy when they want more then a dollar a bullet. Maybe more hunters need to avoid these high priced gimmick bullets and use something more cost effective. Those companies learn fast when the market share falls off and sales plummet. All of a sudden less profit is at least good profit. Why pay a buck a bullet when you can get boxes of them, like Hornady XTP's that have killed more deer then powerbelt will dream of.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:36 PM

I had the same problem a few years back I could hit paper real good with them and when I shot at a game animal it ran away like nothing happened and no Blood at all that was about 3-4 years ago maybe 5 years ago now but I know where I was hitting and had no idea as to why they were not dropping. finally I did recover a doe that I had shot at about 32-35 yards with my 50 cal with a magnum load of 150 guess where the bullet was found at that distance and power? it went in through her left shoulder right behind the shoulder and ran we spent 2 hours looking with NO blood at all then a buck came out put it in the same spot pulled the trigger and he ran away. we spent 3 hours looking for him scratching our heads. as we were looking for him we heard something about 20 yards from where I shot both of them and went to investigate it was the doe that I had shot taking her "death breath" when we field dressed her we found the power belt in her heart????????? with that load and that distance only going about 1/2 the way through a doe????? I came to blame it on the weather being so humid and muggy thought that the powder got wet then I went out and bought some XTPs and used the same powder and NO PROBLEMS AT ALL so that kinda out rules the powder problem in my opinion

Posted Image

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 07:19 PM

Todd I too have used the older style powerbelts and did kill a big doe with them but had very little blood trail to follow. I had a pass through on that doe too. She piled up about 40 yards away but we spent about 10 minutes looking for her. I was using only 60 gr of FFg Goex and the shot was over 80 yards. Now I have killed many deer with other bullets and found I get more accuracy with about any other bullet but powerbelts. It will take more than a wash coating and a plastic tip for me to try them.

Also as Cayugad has said they are a platinum price. For the most part the older powerbelts fit way too loose in most of my rifles I like to have some resistance on loading the bullet down the barrel to assure that the bullet stays on the powder.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:56 PM

just for general information in my CVA eclipse the power belts are tight fitting that is another thing that was a concern and was asked of me is how they went in were they tight or loose and they are tight actually I wonder if they are too tight as there are times that they just dont want to get going and as they go further down they get tighter and have to "tamp" them in by lifting the rod and getting a "swing" or "hammer" kinda like putting a fence post in with a post tamper

Edited by irinman2424, 16 September 2007 - 08:59 PM.

Posted Image

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:21 AM

Irin what you describe is too tight a fit for me. I want resistance but not to the point where I cannot push it down all the way to the powder in one stroke. You may need to swab the barrel after the shot. I swab my Knight Bighorn after every shot and get great accuracy and ease of loading.

#7 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 06:38 PM

Paul even the 1st shot of a clean barrel is extremely tight I get really good accuracy on paper so I like them (on paper) but dont like them for doing the job :fudd:

Posted Image

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 06:45 PM

Speaking of powerbelts.. on a different forum, a person shooting 245 grain .45 caliber powerbelts was mule deer hunting in Colorado. He was loaded with 80 grains of Triple Se7en 2f. The mule deer doe he shot was 80 grains away. He posted pictures of the entrance hole that powerbelt made. Talk about impressive. That deer bled like a stuck hog. Then he posted pics of the internal damage/hole through the ribs. Again, very impressive. The powerbelt did not pass through, but lodged under the hide on the off shoulder. The deer ran 5 yards.

His father using the same rifle and load shot a doe at 50 yards and got complete pass through. Again, lots of blood, and large holes. This one he said tumbled about 20 yards.

He attributes this knockdown power to the fact he is not pushing the powerbelt hard. He and others like him believe that when a powerbelt is pushed hard, they disintegrate after they hit instead of expand. So with the simple 80 grain load, it had all the power it needed to hit, enter, and penetrate, expanding to do the damage. What he said kind of makes sense.

I wonder if some of this does not hold true on the XTP's. People sure take a lot of deer with them and using moderate powder charges. They get excellent penetration and expansion, even pass through. Perhaps these rifle builders are not so smart making these magnum rifles...

Now granted, if I were hunting elk, moose or bear, I would want more power, penetration, and expansion. Like a shockwave in case I hit major bone structure like a rib or especially a shoulder. But I have yet to kill a deer with a powerbelt. I shot a lot of them with slow moving conicals, and that sure knocks them over through.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#9 FrankSr

FrankSr

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:30 PM

About 3 seasons ago I shot a Doe with 295 grain powerbelt with 90 grains of kleanshot. I had a complete pass through at around 50 yards. Good blood trail but since she was running down hill she made it about 150 yards. Now I use the Aero tips and the entry hole was about an inch and the exit hole about the size of a baseball. I had hit her in the lungs by the amount of blood you would never have thought she would have made it that far.

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:27 PM

Cayugad you know that makes a lot of sense. As you know I am not an advocate of any load over 90 or 100 gr. The only deer I got with a powerbelt was out of a Traditions Buckskinner. That barrel is way tight because even the powerbelts in a clean barrel load hard and get harder as I shoot. After about only 2 or 3 shots I have to swab or pound the next bullet down the barrel. Driving a powerbelt too hard just may explain the disintegration experienced with them. XTP's are designed as pistol bullets and it makes sense that if driven to rifle speeds they may also break up. I have killed 3 or 4 does with the xtp and only recovered one bullet that bullet was a 300 gr pushed by 80 gr of powder.

Irin I did get a load worked up to fit my tight barrel by using a 44 cal bullet in a 45 cal sabot but I had to wrap a strip of paper around the bullet. I believe two wraps around the bullet and it fit fine and got acceptable accuracy. It is a bit of a slow process till I got the paper wrapped around the bullet and into the sabot but it did work.

#11 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:54 PM

Well you clean clocks with that load of XTP so well, there sure would not be a reason to change. As you said, it seems to work well with moderate loads. And your accuracy is outstanding. That is more then a lot of people can claim.

#12 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 01:27 PM

i started using the powerbelt bullet 2 seasons ago...have got all the deer i shot with them and they do make a heck of a hole upon entry and exit....most have never moved ...the first i took with them the bullett slam dunked her abot 20 ft thru mid air... and the last one i took last season shot her thru the base of the neck(streight on shot ) and the bullett was found under the hide after passing the length of her body...i shot 80 grains of pyrodex p powder and a 295 gr. powerbelt.... i also get the same performance from aa 180 44 magnum bullet(hornady) and sabot.....both loads will stomp them down and is real light on the shoulder and travel good out to 200 yards......which i do not have a lot of hand pressure when loading so when the bullett seats on the powder i pull the rod out.....i do have the powerbelt bullett found in the last doe ...if i can locate it i'll post a pic of it ...it mushroomed great...
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#13 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 08:16 PM

I along with some others wonder if it wasnt a combination of the humidity and over powering it with the magnum loads

Posted Image

#14 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:12 PM

I too use powebelts and have had no trouble in taking deer with mine. The last deer I took was a 5 point buck shot at 65 yards in the base of the neck. That deer dropped so fast at first I thought I mssed him. I could have put my ram rod thru the hole that bullet made in that deer. Also I find them very accurate.

MD

#15 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:57 AM

I along with some others wonder if it wasnt a combination of the humidity and over powering it with the magnum loads

most of the folks i've mz hunted with do over power their loads...all the powder is suppose to burn in the barrel but i've noticed a long flame of fire extruding out the barrel and told them to down charge...there accuracy got much better....
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users