10 replies to this topic

#1 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:58 PM

Alright you experts,
Just took possesion of a 50 cal. TC Omega....looking for a good deer hunting load???? :yes:
Posted Image

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:59 AM

The T/C Omega is an easy one. If you're shooting loose powder start your testing with 90 grains of Triple Se7en 2f and shoot a 250 grain Shockwave. You can then shoot a group and I think you will be really happy with that. Swab between shots. Try the standard shockwaves first. Not the fancy ones out there like the EZ glide.

Then bump that load to 100 grains of loose and do the same thing. It should still hold solid. A nice tight group. Again, make sure you swab between shots when testing. If you're still happy, from all I have read, some of them are pushing 110 grains of loose Triple Se7en and still holding extreme tight groups. Anything more then that though and they say the groups start to fall off.

Those powder charges are all you would need to take deer out to 150 yards.

If you're going to shoot pellets, two of the Pyrodex RS or Triple Se7en pellets and a 250 or 300 grain Shockwave and go. The group should be real good. You can try three pellets if you like. The groups do hold true in the Omega from all I have read. But I really do not see the need for three unless you were hunitng elk, bear, moose, or shooting extreme distances.

I have never shot these, but sure read a lot about them. The Parker Extreme Ballistics bullet in 275 grain are suppose to shoot excellent out of about any rifle they get in. I might have to order some. But I just bought $100 worth of Nosler Partitian to try in my rifles so my bullet budget you might say is shot for the month. Plus the new gun I ordered... :)- :D

Which Omega did you get Phil? You got a great rifle. The Omega is a time tested field tested rifle that can do it all. I know the new Triumph looks nice, but these Omega's have came down in price. Almost makes me want to get one, but I better not.

I still have an old Black Diamond XR that anyone who comes to the house and shoots against it, claims the gun is just not right. All it does is shoot the centers out of them pieces of paper down range. It is kind of boring to shoot actually, because I know where that thing will hit. So when I want a new rifle now, I take the Diamond out for a day and shoot that, look at the target and think.. wil the next one shoot better.

By the way, the new gun I ordered is a T/C New Englander with a 12 gauge barrel and extra full turkey choke... it should be a lot of fun. Did I mention what has been coming into my yard almost every day???

Posted Image
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:50 PM

:hmm: went to a local gunshow today and compared a ton of scopes and decided on a Tasco World Class 3x9 40mm and a set of Leupold see thru mounts for it. Figured this scope will be plenty for the ranges I'll be shooting.
Posted Image

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:36 AM

The only thing to keep in the back of your mind when you purchase a scope is eye relief. These muzzleloaders like to kick backward... If there is poor eye relief, all it takes is one time of not addressing the rifle properly and you are going to be reminded right between the eyes normally why you should have eye relief.

I personally like at least 3.5 - 4 inches of eye relief. Any more then 4 inches and it seems you are crawling all over the stock trying to get a good sight picture. I use the Nikon Pro Sport 2-7x32mm on my rifles. They are made for shotgun and muzzleloaders. They have 3.8 inches of eye relief and an excellent parallex. Their clarity is outstanding, and they are tuff, water proofed, and life time guaranteed.

Another scope I use is a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn 1.5-4.5X32mm. Again, 4" of eye relief, excellent clarity, light gathering, and life time warranty I think. I have put a lot of rounds through this $69.00 scope and it has never failed to hold true.

I have Tasco World Class 3-9x40mm on my modern center fire rifles. Although they were purchased back in the early 80's. They have been great scopes.

The other thing I avoid is see through rings. I don't like them. Some people do. On low power, I can do all the speed shooting I need to do. I've practiced with the 2X and it is very easy to get on target. I think just as fast as open sights, and then I have the scope close to the barrel. I am sure the set up you have will do just fine. Good luck. And I will be looking for the range results.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 01:10 PM

great scope ...i've shot tasco's for years....don't know much about the omaga tho....i just bought my grandson and i a pair of cva. optamas...hope i like them and yes they'll both be topped with tasco's....
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#6 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:16 PM

you can ask ole Huck about muzzleloader kick back. Of cours he will tell you that Gina hit him while he was sleeping :no: :lol: He looked like aone eyed racoon :lol: :lol: :lol:

MD

#7 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:08 AM

I'm one of the weird shooters who uses see thru rings on all my rifles. Back in the early 90's while still a young pup I went blind in my right eye from a cataract that covered the whole pupil....stopped to many left jabs with it I guess. :spar: . I learned to shoot a shotgun left handed fairly quickly but discovered that I could shoot my 06 righthanded by tipping my head and looking through the raised scope with my left eye. Eye surguey helped correct this but I've also harvested several deer using the opensights on close oppurtunities. "If it ain't broke don't fix it" is my motto. ....and yes, I'm a proud member of the "Royal Order of Forehead Whackers" :cry: ...just not in the past few years thankfully!!!!

Edited by Phil, 24 September 2007 - 03:10 AM.

Posted Image

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:32 AM

Phil if you had wacked yourself in the past couple of years like JGabel did at camp everyone would have known.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:52 AM

:bash: ...hiked a mile back to the remote rifle range on the state game lands yesterday afternoon to finally sight-in the Omega. LOL, after setting up I discovered that the 300 gr. XTP sabots were missing (back at the house sitting in the gun cabinet). A frantic search of the shooting supply box revealed a tube containing five 240 gr. XTP's that came with the gun. I was set-up at 75 yards and started with 80 grs. of Pyrodex. 1st shot didn't even hit the 24" backstop. I moved into 50 yards and tried a 2nd shot. The poa was 7" low & 3" to the left . I adjusted the scope then moved back to 75yds and swabbed the barrel before taking another shot. My 3rd shot almost touched the 2nd one so I adjusted the scope by using the 2 shot sight-in method (sandbagging the gun with the crosshairs lined up on the X, then walking the the crosshairs to the previous bullethole).
I aslo decided to try shooting with a dirty barrel for the 4th shot. POA was 1 1/2" high and 1/2" left. I opted to leave the scope adjustment alone for the last shot. Thankfully it hit within a 1/2" of the 4th shot. I'm planning on fine tuning the set-up Friday with the 300 gr. XTP's and believe that the heavier bullet should be just about dead on at 75yds. If satisfied, then I'll see where the load hits at both 100 and 50 yds.....Saturday I'll try to find to some suitable targets for PAridgeruuner, Eric, & I to blow smoke at on the PA early season muzzleloader opener for antlerless deer ! :fudd: ....otherwise I'll carry the bow... :thumbsup:

Edited by Phil, 08 October 2007 - 01:56 AM.

Posted Image

#10 Bigrok

Bigrok

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:I am currently living in Hawaii. My wife is an RN in the US Army. I can't wait to get back to MN.

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:24 PM

I shoot 100 grains of triple 7 powder and a 250 grain shockwave bullets. Works great. In MN we can't use scopes so out to 50 or so yards it does a good number on deer. I've shot 4 with it now in the past 3 years.

#11 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:57 AM

Bigrok first off welcome to the site and we here in PA can only use scopes in the early muzzy season (doe only) and we can use whatever we want gun wise. Now if you want to talk about the flintlock season after Christmas thats a whole different story. ;)
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users