• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:54 PM

Yesterday I got the flintlock out to do some shooting. I had replaced the rear sight with a peep type sight. I had shot it at 25 yds so decided to move the target out to 50 and blast a few. Man that was about all I did. I scattered them all over and it was all my fault. I was flinching. Guess I had better make an appointment with that rifle real soon for another shoot. I was shooting so bad I couldn't tell if the ones to the left were the rifle or me. I have a sight vice so I guess I will have to use that to keep me steady to get that rifle sighted in. I only shot 5 shots and quit I was so disgusted with myself.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:09 PM

No need to beat yourself up. Flinching is not all that uncommon. When I was first getting used to the flintlocks, I used only light loads, and mentally told myself that even though the flash would be there to ignore it. I concentrated on looking through the shot. It really seemed to help me a lot with the flinch. I just concentrated so hard on the sights and out to the target, I was determined to see the ball hit the paper. After a while, I forgot to even notice the flinch.

Now you have a reason to go shoot again and real soon... that is a good thing. Keep burning the powder.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:06 PM

Cayugad I know you are right but I am old enough to know better and have shot more than a few times with a flintlock. I know what I was doing but it did not seem to matter at the time. I was anticipating the shot. I really found out when the flint stopped sparking. Guess it was just a poor day at the bench.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:13 PM

I wish I had a nickel for every day on the range I had one of them. I would buy my own Accusporter.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users