6 replies to this topic

#1 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:45 PM

I have a hard time remembering the differences in the chokes which is a tighter pattern which is a looser pattern anyone know a good way to remember it?
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:18 PM

Irin I know of no easy way to remember it but starting with Cylinder bore which is the most open as it is no restriction at all then to Improved cylinder which is just a little restriction. Then there is modified and full. Of course there are a few in between like improved modified which is just a little more restriction than modified and then there are extra full, extra extra full and even tighter yet. These are all depicted by actual measurements but I do not know what measurements each are. I believe that 12 guage is .720 and if I am right that would be cylinder bore. My turkey choke is .655 and that is about as tight a choke as I have seen. The actual measurement of all the various chokes would fall somewhere between .720 the most open to .655 the tightest choke which is beyond extra extra full.

The less the restriction the more open or the bigger the pattern and the tighter the restriction the smaller the pattern.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 21 September 2007 - 07:21 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:24 PM

with my 12 guage I have 4 tubes modified,improved,full and an extended turkey tube for bird hunting such as duck goose Im just trying to put each tube with a purpose so to speak I know the extended turkey tube will be only used for turkey but what about tree rats and wabbits what should I use for them which would be used for a deer slug etc I used to know this and for some reason since its been years since Ive had a shotgun that had an exchangable choke I have lost it
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:37 PM

If you are using foster style slugs use a cylinder bore and if you used sabot slugs use a rifled choke tube Todd. For rabbits and squirrels a modified choke has always worked well for me. Modified is about middle ground between all of the tubes. Bird hunting is when it matters what choke tube you use IMO depending on how far the bird is out there and some other factors.
-Eric

#5 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:45 PM

I should add that the cylinder choke tube is just like shooting a smooth bore shotgun that isn't threaded for choke tubes. If you notive when you look down the bore without a choke in you see that the threads aren't even with the rest of the bore. The cylinder choke tube makes it even all the way through the barrel. Improved cylinder is the most choke you should use with the chear foster style slugs. Rifled choke tubes have rifling which work just like a rifled barrel.

You might have known all of this, but just thought you'd like to know.
-Eric

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:51 AM

IC - Skeet
MOD - Ducks, geese, small game and Upland Birds

Full and Extra Full - Geese and Turkeys.

You can shoot squirrels with a Turkey choke if you like eating limb chickens with a side of lead shot ;)
Posted Image

#7 Bob LeBlanc

Bob LeBlanc

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:41 AM

IC can be used for grouse and woodcock too, Leo !! :D

Just remember...when using steel shot, the choke will act as a tighter restriction, almost to the point of the next tighter choke.
ie. a modified choke with steel is similarly 'tight' as a full choke with lead.

Bob ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users