4 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:14 PM

Posted Image

I decided to mount a 1X Thompson Center scope on a Renegade with a 1:28 Green Mountain LRH barrel. I think this will be a good shooting rifle and legal in Wisconsin Deer Season. So I want to get out and shoot it tomorrow if the weather will cooperate.

Also I bought a new shotgun. A Thompson Center New Englander 12 gauge. I am having it fitted with an extra full choke for turkey hunting. I was notified that it would take 4-6 weeks for delivery of the gun, but I guess all good things come to those that wait.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 05:38 PM

took the rifle out today. It was 60 degrees but windy. I went to the 25 yard line to sight in the scope. I was on the bench rest. I started on the center bulls eye and fired three shots. The clean barrel threw the first shot high, but after that the next two touched.

I then made an adjustment of 16 clicks to the left and fired three more. They all touched. So I fired two more just to make sure the rifle was on. I was very pleased with the group so far. In fact it was getting hard to count shots. I was shooting Hornady 300 grain XTP in a Crushed Rib Harvester Sabot. I was using RWS 1075 caps. Ignition was perfect. I was swabbing every third shot. And shooting 100 grains of Triple Se7en 2f.

I then swabbed the barrel clean. I wanted to try some of the .451 260 grain Nosler Partitions in Nosler sabots that I purchased. Again, I was shooting 100 grains of Triple Se7en, the same cap, same distance, swabbing every three shots. They loaded very nice in the rifle. I was shooting them at the lower right corner bulls eye. The five shot group with them was very impressive. More testing will have to be done with these as well.

I then again swabbed the barrel clean and had some American Pioneer Powder 3f in the bag left over from the last range trip. So I loaded up some 10mm 200 gr XTPs in the blue MMP sabots with 100 grains of APP 3f. I shot for the upper right corner bulls eye. The first three shots were real good. Then I was almost out of powder and would shake some into the measure and top it off with pyrodex RS. In fact the last one was powder dumped into my hand, then into the powder measure, then the Pyrodex added. The bottom two are combination powder shots.. over all they did well.

I cleaned the barrel again and went after the upper left corner bull. This time I loaded 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 300 grain Hornady Mag Express in the sabots that came with the bullets. I had a perfect three shot group going and then had to shoot two more to be smart. Still a very good group. I swabbed every third shot. I was going to shoot six shots at that corner target, but a red squirrel had the gall to sit on a stump down range from me about 45 yards. So I wasted a shot. It flipped him in the air real high, but he did take off running. He might have a shaving in his toe or something.

Then to see if I could keep loading, I aimed at the lower left corner bull and shot two of my home casted .457 pure lead flat point bullets. The mold says they are supposed to be a 405 grain. Well my scale puts them more around 423 grains. One bullet was deformed a little I noticed. I was shooting them with 100 grains of Pyrodex RS. They really have some down range thump when they hit.

This is a very sweet rifle to shoot. Because of the weight of the rifle, recoil is next to nothing. With the 1X scope, it makes a very good aiming device for me. Next time out will be 50 yards, and then back to 100 yards. After all deer season will be here in November...

This is a bear too clean though because the scope does not come off. It was necessary to use high weaver mounts on the off set base to get everything to work. It does take some time to clean the scope and base because I was surprised at the fowling that comes out and near the nipple.

Posted Image
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:14 PM

Nice looking rifle cayugad. Man it shoots as good as it looks too. My bighorn has the weaver style mounts, the one that has a big headed screw to tighen it. I take that scope off every time I clean and get a perfect zero when I have remounted it after cleaning. I have cleaned it with the scope on and admit it is a real bear with the scope on.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:19 PM

Nice looking rifle cayugad. Man it shoots as good as it looks too. My bighorn has the weaver style mounts, the one that has a big headed screw to tighen it. I take that scope off every time I clean and get a perfect zero when I have remounted it after cleaning. I have cleaned it with the scope on and admit it is a real bear with the scope on.

Posted Image

I did not think these were removable.. I guess I have to take a closer look. I originally took some Warne QD rings to the gun smith but they would not fit being a medium height. So I told him to throw a good set or rings on it that would work. He put the Weaver rings on it, but never mentioned they could be take off and put back on.. I guess I better read the instructions on the package..

thanks.

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:02 PM

I always was fond of the T/C Renegade with the double set triggers. That's one nice gun you have there. I hope it provides you with as much enjoyment as my Renegade did me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users