15 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 04:17 PM

Ok, for those that have crossbows here's my question. How do you let it down after hunting if you don't take a shot? I have my son hold the string with both hands while I pull the trigger. He's stout enough that it's easy for him to do but still I don't like doing that. I don't like carrying it cocked till I can get home and shoot into a target either. I've tried carrying an old arrow and shooting into an earth bank but you never know if a rock is present under the dirt that might cause a ricochet. So any ideas on a safe way to let it down? I'm thinking about just carrying an old target with me to shoot into but that's a pain sometimes too.

#2 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:12 PM

Maybe bring a bolt with a blunt or judo point and shoot at a stump or large tuft of grass. With a judo point the arrow catches on something so it doesnn't snake through the grass. That's about all I can come up with, someone else should have something else to add.
-Eric

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:09 PM

We've always just carried an old bolt (aluminum... doesn't even have fletchings) outfitted with a field point to shoot straight down into the ground. They never seem to sink more than about half way into the ground and are easy to pull. When we've hit rocks it just ruined/bent the bolt... never caused a ricochet. You can buy individual bolts for a few bucks from Sportsman's Warehouse. ;)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:46 PM

The best way to unload a cross bow is to fire a bolt into the ground or a target, Jer hit the nail 100% on the head when he said to use a old bolt and just fire it into the ground. Thats what we preach in our Hunter Safety classes.

MD

#5 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 05:30 AM

i've just started using mine but i fire a bolt into the ground with a target tip on it ....i also use it to shot tree rats...
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:56 AM

Guys, I've shot mine into the ground many times without incident. Once though it hit a rock, bounced back and hit me in the leg. Not hard enough to penetrate all I had on, but hard enough to get the point accross. Just too darn rocky in these hills I guess. :lol:

#7 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 09:53 PM

Norm just shoot it at an old tree stump, no ricocheting there. Saves your sons pinkies eh :D .Just make sure you use an old bolt or something else that is useless eh! :)
Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#8 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 30 September 2007 - 07:18 PM

From personal experience ( :doh2: )... The problem with shooting a bolt into an old tree stump is that if the stump is soft you'll spend a considerable amount of time digging the bolt out as it will most assuredly be buried. On the other hand, if the stump is still hard you will have a devil of a time pulling the bolt out.

The blunt idea may be worth pursuing. But, you would probably want to take aim at something like a tree. I can tell you, again from personal experience ( :doh2: ), that an arrow tipped with such a point can easily bounce back 10 yards when the object was shot at a distance of 20 yards. So, all I can say is stand back!

sig_admin.png

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:36 PM

Guys, I think the safest bet is to just throw an old target in the back of the Jeep. Not that big a deal and much safer to shoot into. Ask Paul, my Jennings Devastator flat zings an arrow and if ya shoot into a solid tree you can forget anout getting that arrow back. Jason missed the target in our yard a few years back. That arrow is still stuck in that tree. A rotten one and it would do as Jerimiah said. It would flat bury the arrow. I've got an old target that I think I'll use. Safety is my main concern. Thanks for the advice though. It's good to be able to figure things out together. :D

#10 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:02 AM

Hey, Norm, I finally found the "real" answer to the "let down" question...

Buy a Stryker! :lol:

sig_admin.png

#11 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:45 AM

:idea: OK Jer we will all buy one just give us your credit card number LOL :whistle: o:) :D sorry I couldnt resist
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#12 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:15 AM

Thanks Jerimiah, but I think I'm with Todd on this one. ;) :lol: :lol:

#13 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:57 AM

You must have forgotten you're talking to a guy who has been off work since December. What's a credit card? Heck, what's a bank account?! :roflmao: :(

sig_admin.png

#14 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:24 AM

I know what thats like Jer were in the same position we lucked out and found a house to buy for 200 a month less then we were renting it for but it needs alot of time and work done to it its livable so we can take some time to get it done but pinching pennies and then pinching them again there is an old saying that says Im so poor if it cost a penny to go to the bathroom I couldnt afford to pass gas well thats us and will be us for a long long time at least 2-3 years untill this house is done
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#15 RicF

RicF

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:14 PM

Shoot a bolt into the ground or a target, use an old bolt with a field tip.
PATIENCE - Kills Turkeys !!

Ric's Hunting Page

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users