• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:53 PM

I got my new shotgun today. It is a Thompson Center New Englander twelve gauge with a extra full choke installed. I bought it from Fox Ridge Outfitters Inc. To say I was not excited about getting it, would be a lie. I even got a second box in the mail from Track of the Wolf with the wads, over the powder wads, and shot cards. So I was ready to go.

I took the rifle out of the box, inspected the hammer and trigger. Checked the stock for cracks. And then attempted to install the barrel. Well I was shocked!! The barrel would not go into the tang and lock into place. I scratched my head a little and thought.. what am I doing wrong?

Posted Image

It was then I noticed the problem. Look close in the picture at the end of the barrel. Its left handed.... they don't fit real well in a right handed gun. So I called Fox Ridge Outfitters Inc. and explained that the custom made barrel they done for me was a little off. When he asked why, I started laughing and said, its a left handed barrel. I have a right handed gun. He then asked me to read the invoice to him which I did. He then agreed, you ordered a right handed barrel. Why they sent you a left handed he had no idea. I never even knew they made a left handed 12 gauge New Englander. If some one needs one, Fox Ridge will have one. Brand new, never been shot, with a full turkey choke in it.

He then asked me to send it back to them. I explained that tha choke in it was a custom choke and to make sure the new barrel got that full choke instead of an improved cylinder choke. So he explained about the copies I needed to send him with the invoice, and a letter explaining the problem. So it is back to the UPS center tomorrow. They did say they will try and have a two day turn around when they get it... so that's a plus.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:55 AM

Aw now that is a real excitement deflater. I am anxious to see how that shotgun patterns. I have read that they pattern at least as well as a modern gun and sometimes better. Now we both have to wait to see.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:07 PM

Posted Image

I hope to shoot it tomorrow for pattern...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:05 PM

Now that sure is Purdy. Not a Purdy but Purdy anyhow. Hey you could put a funnel in the end of it and have a blunderbus. Can't wait to see how it patterns. Are you using a shot cup or just wads.

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:36 AM

I am headed out now.. going to try both.

Posted Image

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:16 PM

Holy Moly that thing got a real hole in the end of that there barrel.

#7 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:52 PM

Well I never got a chance to shoot today. I was all set to walk out and it started to rain. So I measured out loads. 90 grains of #5 shot will make 1-1/4 ounce (1.25 ounce) of a shot charge. I then measured out 80 grains of Goex 2f and they do weigh 80 grains. So I have all the sets ready to go, all I need now is a dry day. Tomorrow unfortunately I have a commitment...

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 06:19 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I finally got a chance to pattern the Thompson Center New Englander 12 gauge barrel today. It was kind of fun actually. I started out with 80 grains of Pyrodex RS and a plastic wad and then 90 grains (1-1/4 ounce) of #5 shot. I was using CCI Magnum as caps. The right hand side of the page marked Goex 2f was actually Pyrodex. My mistake when I labelled them.

Posted Image

It was clear here that the shotgun did not like the plastic shot cup but the fiber over the powder wad, then the fiber wad, the shot, and then the over the powder shot card did real well....

Posted Image

On this testing I used Goex 2f, and the fiber wads and cards.. I tried 80 & 70 grains. Both of them threw good patterns. I then tested plastic and fiber wads with lots of different powders, and different amounts of powder. The Goex 2f and 70-80 grains of powder did the best job overall.

I then took a walk in the woods with the dog. I was hoping to jump a grouse but only saw a red squirrel running through the woods. So I let him have it. The shotgun rolled him perfect. It was 22 yards according to the laser range finder.

I thought about hunting more, or shooting my White Bison that was scoped and decided that I wanted to test more loads with the shotgun, so I would shoot the Bison for the rest of the afternoon. Always another day for the grouse and squirrels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users