A Day At The Sheriffs Auction

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:13 PM

This morning , myself and a guy I work with, headed down to the county fairgrounds for the annual Sheriffs Auction. Now, there was more garbage there then at the local landfill. Its amazing some of the stuff they were trying to sell. The end of the auction was the fire arms sale. roughly 74 guns ( or parts of guns ) were sold.

everything from off brand .22 cal pistols and new england arms 12 ga single shot shotguns, to a winchester 94 30-30 ( pre 64? ) no safteys on it. and a Colt 45 1911 US Army issue 45 cal. that went for over 1200.00.

and almost everything in between. a number of sawed off shot guns / or home defense styles, a couple of Winchester 1300 pumps, 870 wingmaster ( rem ) and a mosburg 12ga. pump....
some stuff was beat up, some stuff was in like new condition.

OHHHH and a set of 3 ft long bolt cuters that had written on them Mike & Brians KEY TO THE WORLD. LOL

Anyway.... it was an interesting day and came away with a new toy.

Almost new condition. I picked up a S&W 629 Classic 44 mag

Posted Image

Specifications

Caliber: .44 MagnumŽ/.44 S&W Special
Capacity: 6 Rounds
Barrel Length: 6-1/2"
Front Sight: Interchangeable
Rear Sight: Adjustable White Outline
Firing System: N/A
Grip: Hogue Rubber
Trigger: .400" Smooth Target
Hammer: .500" Target
External Safety: N/A
Frame: Large
Finish: Satin Stainless
Overall length: 12"
Material: Stainless Steel
Weight Empty: 49.5 ounces

Now here is my question to those who know much more then I.
I have no problem shooting open sights, but am considering mounting a scope ( if that is possible )
can anyone give me suggestions or know
1) can I mount a scope on this gun
2) what suggestions would you give ( I'm wanting to do some big game hunting with this firearm ) make / model and size pertaining to a scope.

Larry sure wish ya could have been there. was some sweet sweet deals. :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#2 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 04:25 AM

Bruce,
Any game you hunt will be at close range and with the "Jack-in-the-box" timber where you like to play....go with a no magnification Red Dot scope. Extremely fast target acqusition and you can control the brightness. Practice with reg 44 cal ammo before stepping up to the heavy mag loads(cheaper & your Black cowboy hat will stay on.) I loved my Ruger Redhawk for deer hunting but got tired of lugging it around.....have fun ! :cowboy3:
Posted Image

#3 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:53 AM

bruce i had a 357 mag and i put a 4x pistol scope on it ..and yes you can scope your toy...i loved my toy and did take a lot of deer with it.....
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:44 AM

Nice gun Bruce! I think I would put a red dot scope on it too.
-Eric

#5 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:26 PM

Way cool Bruce, nice gun for sure. A perferfect match for your great 300 WinMag.

Only thing better than BIG bore is long range :)
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#6 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:13 PM

Just recalled that I had one of them big Smiths with an older 0x red dot on about ten yrs ago. I changed it out for a 0x duplex ch pistol scope. Both were big mistakes. The newer red dots now would be much better even at 0x, mine was like a rifle scope type of red dot.

I cannot for the life of me recall the scope mount mfr, but someone makes one just for your Smith frame. What I finally did was put on a 1.5x pistol scope with the duplex ch and the thing shot great. I was amazed at how important just .5x of magnification is. It increased the accurate range a lot over the open Smith sights.
Good luck.

(I hawked the gun along with 3 others for travel money to come to CO to work and live.)
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#7 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:16 AM

Hey Bruce, if we can figure out a day when all of us aren't busy, come on down and try both options. My brothers are coming to town next week for our 2nd season elk hunt and we'll be putting lots of lead down range checking zeros if you can get away.

I put a Leupold Gilmore red dot on my Super Blackhawk and I am currently playing foster home to a buddy's S&W 629 with a Leupold 4x pistol scope. Between the 2 of them, I prefer the red dot but you may like the magnification of a scope.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:20 AM

My son has a Taurus Raging Bull in .45 L Colt with a Red Dot scope on it. Trust me, it's the way to go for quick accurate shooting. Just make sure it's mounted solid. :yes:

#9 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:42 AM

hmmmm larry you saying I need glass/s??????

ok hopefully next week will slow down....and i can steal a day.
will be in touch

need to call today and set up the apt for going and getting the gun...then will see what I need for the scope/red dot.

prob will go red dot...not sure...thats why I'm asking for input :)
everyones thougths here matter.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#10 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:49 PM

Personally, I REALLY like just plain old open iron sights. But out to 100 yards, I just can't shoot the groups I want with my .44 that way. A scope (on a pistol) is just too shaky for me. I like the quick aquisition, no magnification and more precise aiming point (over open iron) of the red dot.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#11 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:28 PM

I likey your new toy!

Your red dot scope you had on Pat's (your rifle) rifle in Canada would be a natural matchup. Plinking with that is a bit expensive but man does it make some awesome rolling thunder out of the mountain. Have fun and don't forget to wear your safety protection. ----- Okay who took my hearing aides - where did I put them darn things. :lol:

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 09 October 2007 - 02:54 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#12 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:06 PM

well its offical....I can still pass the firearms background check... S&W came home tonight. wahoooo....

and does she feel sweet in the hand....can't wait to take er out and fire off a few rounds.

still not sure on scope/red dot or leave it open sites...sort of depends what Im doing....
if I go hunting with it, will consider the red dot...need to get a case/ holster and some other items first :)

Yea Larry as soon as I can find a day...its gonna be a burn powder day :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#13 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:18 AM

IMHO, the SW629 is the best production 44mag wheel gun ever made. You did good. REAL good!
Posted Image

#14 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:12 PM

Well we took her out tonight. Took Bryan with me, guy I work with and was at the auction. Let him squeeze off a few rounds with my Kimber 45. Then I pulled out the S&W 44 mag....
pop pop pop KABOOM
Bryan looked over at me....Dang you can feel that thing in your chest when you squeeze off a round.

all I can say is ITS SOOOOOO SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now I need to clean her up and make her shine.

shoots awesome...nice feel, actually an awesome feel when in your hand.
Yep I'm happy...very very happy.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#15 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:44 PM

Ooops, I did it again.....