7 replies to this topic

#1 rbduck

rbduck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:43 PM

My bud and I just bought one of these rifles. Does anyone own either one of these. What type of bullets, sabots, powders do you use. How about groups? Max ranges? Conical bullets and scopes? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron :D
Quail is the virgin
Duck is the mature woman
.....Iron Chef

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 01:20 PM

Does anyone own either one of these.

Ron - I don't own one so this is speculation on my part. I do own a CVA Staghorn Magnum so the barrels came from the same factory basically. Just a different breech design and ignition system. Most of the Traditions rifles are great shooters. Without doubt, they will really lay lead down range. You bought their top of the line in the Pro and XLT models. I think you will like the rifles.

What type of bullets, sabots, Conical bullets

What type bullets, sabots will they like?? Well for the most part they like Powerbelts in the 245 and 295 range for whitetail. Powerbelts are expensive, and some people do not like the way they harvest animals so be the judge for your self. I shoot powerbelts out of my Staghorn with 90 grains of Pyrodex or Goex 2f and the accuracy is outstanding. I have yet to harvest a deer with a powerbelt so I can only tell you what I read. Some people love them, other hate them and refuse to use them. I think those that use them and dislike them are pushing the bullet too hard and when it hit it fragments. I would not push a powerbelt over 100 grains but that is a person opinion of mine.

Sabots the rifle should shoot well. Get some Thompson Center Mag Express 240 & 300 grain in .452 diameter. They will have a black sabot to them. Also get a pack of 250 & 300 grain Shockwaves also marketed through Thompson Center. All the bullets are made by Hornady actually. Start them out with 80 grains of loose Pyrodex RS or Triple Se7en 2f and see how they shoot. Start your groups at 25 yards and work your load there. Plenty of time to back up to longer shooting. You rifle will probably tune in around 90-100 grains of powder. That is an excellent deer load. Any of them mentioned projectiles will harvest deer if you put the thing in the right spot.

powders do you use

My favorite powders for inline rifles are Pyrodex RS, Triple Se7en 2f, Goex 3f, and Goex 2f. In that order. Pyrodex and Goex do fowl a barrel with a soft easy to remove fowling. It is not uncommon to be able to load a second and third shot using both these powders, although for the best accuracy swab between shots. Triple Se7en is a great powder, and more powerful the Pyrodex or Goex. A problem some shooters (not all mind you) experience with T-7 is a hard crud ring. Pay attention to the hard crud ring. It can hamper your loading, and also fool some shooters who do not swab into short loading, which we all know is dangerous. So if you use T-7 you might want to swab between shots. Pay special attention as you near the breech, as you will feel the crud ring through the patch. All the powders are easy to clean up. Some more so then others. I never judge a powder on how long it takes me to clean the rifle. As I am so fussy when I clean my rifles, anyone can clean one faster then me. But as friends that shoot on my range will tell you. I am anal about the way I clean my rifles.

How about groups?

Your rifle should group very well. If your shooting open sights anything under 3" at 100 yards is great in my book. If your shooting scopes, I like to shoot 2" or better. Those are not the normal groups mind you. Someday I do much better and some days I do not talk about.

Max ranges?

That will all depend on how well you work up a load, your optics and your shooting skills. With all things equal, and a good scope, a 150 yard shot under the right circumstances should not be out of the question. Practice is the big thing. Know your load, rifle and abilities and about anything is possible.

and scopes?

Your rifle comes drilled and tapped for scopes. What scope of course depends on what you are willing to spend. A good hunting scope keep in mind should be quick to point, have very good eye relief because muzzleloaders love eye brows and bridges of the nose, and a good clear optics and parallax. I like the Nikon Pro Staff in 2-7X32mm. It has excellent eye relief, great optics, is a short light scope, excellent clarity, good light gathering ability, and is priced around $125.00 which makes it very affordable. Not ot mention the life time warranty of the scope and the fact it came so highly recommended by my gunsmith when he had the opportunity to sell me much more expensive scopes. I have never looked back on my purchase. Walking in the woods.. 2X is perfect for the close stalk. In a stand with some long shooting ahead of me ... the 7X takes care of all my needs. You I am sure have favorite scopes.

Good luck to you and your friend with your rifles..
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 rbduck

rbduck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:52 PM

Cayuqad, thanks for all the info. I picked up a Nikon 2X7X30mm scope for my Pursuit two weeks ago. Yesterday I went out for the first day of BP season. I am using a Hornaday 50cal. 300gr XTP in a sabot over two pellets of 777. I shot a nice doe in the base of the neck at 50yds. She just dropped! The bullet went through her neck and traveled about three inches inside her spine. It weighed just over 250grs after it was recovered. I think I`ll be using that combo in this rifle. Thanks again for the info.
I posted a story of the hunt in deer hunting forum if you are interested.

Quail is the virgin
Duck is the mature woman
.....Iron Chef

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:41 PM

I shoot those bullets out of my Knight Bighorn with Harvester Crush Rib sabots pushed by 80 gr of 2f Goex and have killed two does with that combo and Eric has one doe to his credit with the same set up. We both have only good words to say about them and their effect on deer. Congratulations on that doe.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:10 PM

Nice going on the doe. That will be some good eating for sure.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#6 greeleyhunter

greeleyhunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:25 PM

My bud and I just bought one of these rifles. Does anyone own either one of these. What type of bullets, sabots, powders do you use. How about groups? Max ranges? Conical bullets and scopes? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Well, it happens that I too just purchased a Traditions XLT Pursuit. Mine came with RealTree Hardwoods camo, a thumbhole stock, a scope, and a nickle plated barrel. I'm going to let off a few rounds tommorow and I'll let you know what I think with regards to accuracy. But from what I've seen, this rifle is an excellent value at $299.00. I'll be shooting 348 grain PowerBelt hollow points using 100 grains of Triple 7. I've seen programs on the Outdoor Channel with guys using this combination with great success. I'm a little concerned about the advertised 1-1/2" groups at 200 yards! Man, if that's the case, I should be able to hit the broadside of a barn at 250-300 yards with my eyes shut, LOL.

#7 greeleyhunter

greeleyhunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:14 AM

As promised, I took my XLT out today. Life size deer sillouettes combined with 40-50mph winds gusting to 60-70mph. That I was able to hit my target at all surprised me at 100 yards. But hey, this is the joy of living in Colorado. I'm going to wait for a calmer day before sighting in my scope. Using 338 grain sabots with 80 grams of Triple7 produced almost no recoil. Same with 338 grain PowerBelt's and 100 grams of T7. 150 grams of T7 with a Hornady 410 grain bullet kicked back hard enough to kick my glasses off my face. Guess I wont be using that load again, LOL. Happy Hunting!

Well, it happens that I too just purchased a Traditions XLT Pursuit. Mine came with RealTree Hardwoods camo, a thumbhole stock, a scope, and a nickle plated barrel. I'm going to let off a few rounds tommorow and I'll let you know what I think with regards to accuracy. But from what I've seen, this rifle is an excellent value at $299.00. I'll be shooting 348 grain PowerBelt hollow points using 100 grains of Triple 7. I've seen programs on the Outdoor Channel with guys using this combination with great success. I'm a little concerned about the advertised 1-1/2" groups at 200 yards! Man, if that's the case, I should be able to hit the broadside of a barn at 250-300 yards with my eyes shut, LOL.

#8 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:20 PM

I too own a Traditions Muzzle loader and it is the Buckhorn Pro. I have a Bushnell 3 x 9 scope on it and I put the 209 ignition system in it. I use 90 gr of Pyrodex RS and the 245 gr Power Belt. I get good accuracy out of this combination. I have taken 3 deer with this combanation and none have taken more then 2 steps. i have also used the American Pioneer Powder in 3F and use 90 gr. of powder and it shoots just as well as the Pyrodex RS. My best groups with this rifle has been under one inch and a three shot group at 100 yards.

Md

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users