5 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:59 PM

I took out my CVA mag hunter 50 cal. this evening to the farm shot 3 inch groups at 100 yds.. I was using 295 grain powerbelts and 100 grains of pyrodex rs.. Man that gun was smooth ..

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 857 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:01 PM

My CVA Staghorn Magnum with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 245 or 295 grain powerbelt will do the same thing. I paid $89.00 for that rifle and without a doubt that thing will shoot. I own lots of CVA rifles and not one of them is a bad shooter.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:56 AM

cayuqad, i bought the gun at walley world..i think i paid 149.00 its been 3 yrs ago. So whats the correct name for it?I know cva makes different guns for walmart..But all i can find out as it states on the side of the barrel its a magnum hunter 50 cal. It is a sweet gun though i was using open sights .I had a scope on it but have found that i like open sights better on this gun for some reason.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 857 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:22 PM

cayuqad, i bought the gun at walley world..i think i paid 149.00 its been 3 yrs ago. So whats the correct name for it?I know cva makes different guns for walmart..But all i can find out as it states on the side of the barrel its a magnum hunter 50 cal. It is a sweet gun though i was using open sights .I had a scope on it but have found that i like open sights better on this gun for some reason.

If it is the bolt action model, I know Wal Mart was selling CVA Firebolt Magnums which are a top of the line rifle in the CVA line of inlines. The had of course the bolt action design, padded recoil, and were offered in camo and plain black stocks. These are great shooting rifles. Without doubt.

CVA also offered the Hunterbolt Magnum which like the Firebolt had the bolt action ignition system, and to tell you the truth I could see very little difference between them when side by side. They too were good shooting rifles.

I would guess that Wal Mart ordered a bunch of rifles for their stores only and called them magnum hunters, and they were probably a Hunterbolt rifle. For instance I have a White Ultra Mag Model 97. It is nothing more then a model 97 White that has a longer barrel, excellent fiber optic sights and were made by White Rifle Company for Sportsman's Warehouse. Or the CVA Bobcat traditional rifles.. Bass Pro was selling them and they are called the Mountain Stalker. I know, I have a Mountain Stalker. Its a Bobcat.

Open sights are a great advantage if you have good eyes, are well trained in the shooting skills open sights require, and your shots are not extreme. When you get older, you will start to appreciate the scope more. Especially when the bifocals and trifocal glasses start showing up on the end of your nose.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 06:19 AM

I wrote to CVA and the reply i got was the gun was like the hunter bolt. Just didn't have a few of the extras.. but what else would a person want as far as extras? It has a trigger , optic sights,tapped for scope, camo stock , what else would a person want.. and plus it shoots great. lol....

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,640 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:37 PM

Dennis glad to hear that your CVA is working out for you. Yep what cayugad said about eyesight. If I could I would have a scope on all my front loaders but PA won't allow a scope in our flintlock season. They only allow open sights and just this past year allow a peep sight.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users