7 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:23 AM

I'm thinking of picking up a Bowtech Allegiance 2005 model. It was rated in a test for the 2005 bows close to the top in most categories. The Mathews Switchback was with it at the top. The Allegiance was a bit faster but a bit noiser.

If you have one let's hear what you think. Keep it or not?
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:38 PM

I've been shooting the archery department manager's Allegience quit a bit lately at work. It definitely has some noise to it. But, no real vibration/jump worth mentioning. It's fast... In fact, it's a beast. His is set @ 30", 69#, shooting a ~357 grain arrow @ 328 f.p.s.

My main complaint is the cam lean the Binary cam system has. With no buss cable yoke to tune, there is no way to take any of the lean out. The bow did tune well (bullet holes through paper etc). But, I have to think that over time that top limb is going to fail due to the uneven loading on the fork at full draw.

Not that there aren't issues to deal with in most any bow you buy, mind you. (With Hoyt you'll be creep-tuning to set the cam synch and with Mathews you'll be yoke tuning to set the idler lean in order to compensate for the stationary roller guard.)

All in all I like the bow. I would not hesitate to buy one if the price was right.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:51 AM

I have the Bowtech Extreme Solo. This is one of Bowtechs Single Cam bows. I'm quite happy with it.

I really am impressed with the energy storage I've seen the Binary Cam is capable of. I honestly don't know of any other manufacturers Cam that equals that cam profile. They don't have the Allegiance in my draw length, so my shooting one is pointless. I have drawn one to see how it feels. I like it. But how a draw feels to an individual archer is strictly a personal thing. They do make the Old Glory in a long enough draw for me, but I don't plan on replacing the ES anytime soon :)

Jeremiahs comment on the Cam lean, does concern me. Something doesn't seem right if it's there. My bet is Bowtech would replace the upper limb to remove the lean. There shouldn't be any lean if everything is within spec. Even if the limb dimensions are right on, sometimes forming a composite yields unexpected results.

I am quite curious, if Jeremiah has tested any broadheads out of that set up. Often arrows with broadheads at speeds over 260fps need a little extra tuning and speeds over 280fps can be downright hinky.
Posted Image

#4 Bowdoc Jim

Bowdoc Jim

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:01 PM

As Jeremiah noted there is issues with the cam lean. Also failures in the limbs near the pockets. With this years models the have made improvements to the limb pockets now there is little chance to have one crack on yeah.

Most of the failures with the pockets was caused by the techs not putting the bezel blocks back correctly thus causing an undu stress and cracks formed. We had 7 warrenty issues do to one shop not paying attention and BowTech has since pulled their dealership.

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:35 PM

We're the only Sportsman's Warehouse location that does not sell Bowtech. (Some crap about being too close to a "protected dealer". Laughable when you consider just one of our locations sells more Bowtech bows in a month than this place likely sells in a year. But, that's another story.) Our current archery department manager is a rover... He moves with each new location to get the department going and then moves on again. As a result, he is very familiar with Bowtech. He actually built his own Allegience at "Bowtech School" in the Bowtech factory within the last month. Cam lean is a known issue with the Binary Cam System, but Bowtech's official stance is that it does not negatively effect performance. I can say that I have yet to see any Binary cam bow not have cam lean whether they are in spec or not. Which, by the way, is wonderfully easy to set with the new ones as they now have numbered timing marks on the cams that are to be centered on the end of the limb.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#6 RDinMontana

RDinMontana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:24 PM

All I will add to this is that I am a Bowtech owner and Love em. I have a 2003 Patriot, 2004 Patriot, and 2005 Black Knight. I like the way they feel, shoot, overall weight, etc. Haven't found a bow I like better yet so for now I am a Bowtech shooter. Several buddies have gone to the Allegiance and have tried to bet me that if I shoot it once I'll own one. THUS FAR I have fooled them, I just haven't shot one :D :D

#7 Bowdoc Jim

Bowdoc Jim

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:28 PM

Most all know I am a Hoyt shooter and Like to give grief to those who choose to shoot a Mathews. But in all Honesty I woudl shoot a mathews if I could get the grip to my liking or they offered side plates.

I do own a Bowtech which My son won at the Maine State 3D championships last year. I was thinking I wanted the Allegiance. Then he brought home the Old Glory Man what A shooter. Grip a bit big for my liking but not bad (Smaller then a Mathews) SMOOTH and Quick. I have a tru-glo 5 pin tru-sight extreme tooless on it and my bottom pin is set @ 75 yards. I am seriously thinking on getting the new Tribute for my new hunting bow if not the Browning Illusion. Working in a Pro Shop really makes you have different views. Especailly when you have 15 different lines in stock.

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 07:22 AM

Ah gess I went and did it.

I bought a new Bowtech Allegiance 2005 model at 28" and 80% letoff. Set it up last evening with a Muzzy zero effect next generation rest, spot hogg real deal sight, and simms s-coil stabilizer. I got it on the money on the 20 and 30 yards pins with in 30 shots. It's got a real different pull to it compared to the Mathews SB. And I'd say it's found a home. Right next to my Mathews cause it's not going anywhere soon. :rofl:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users