#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:47 PM

I was looking at the Bowhunting book I bought a few weeks ago and saw an article on rangefinders. They say there are two types of rangefinders: Optical and Laser. It say that optical rangefinders are light, cheap, and fairly accuate. I'm looking for a rangefinder and am wondering if anyone has any experience with an optical rangefinder, or if they even make them anymore. I can't find any company that makes them or anyplace that sells them. This book was published in 1997 so maybe companies decided to focus on laser rangefinders.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Eric
-Eric

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:49 PM

Eric the only rangefinders I know of use the laser to range find.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 FrankSr

FrankSr

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:09 PM

Eric,
I have an opitcal range finder and a laser. the optical is big and bulky. They are just about extinct. You get the range by focus once you calibrate it.

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:38 PM

Are they hard to use Frank? Do you think they are pretty accurate?
-Eric

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:00 PM

Eric I lied to you I have two of them and I would trust neither of them. They are both split image range finders one is expressly for archery but does not give very accurate readings. I can range a distance and get three different readings. The other one doesent work at all and weighs about 4 pounds.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:20 PM

Thnks Paul, I was thinking that maybe if they weren't too inaccurate I would get one but now I see that they are prety much impossible to find and inaccurate. I guess I will wait until I can find a used laser rangefinder.
-Eric

#7 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:25 PM

I use a Bushnell Pro Sport Range Finder. It is lazer operated. 4X power, Light weight. Very accurate. Not too bulky. BUT since this is their bottom of the line range finder it does not have a rain filter, and brush filter. So for instance, if you are usng it when raining, it might give you a false reading. If you are looking through the underbrush and want to check something, forget it.. It will shoot the brush in front of you.

Still, if you stand hunt. You can go there ahead of time and shoot all different measurements. I mark them with colored cloth. Then when a deer comes up a trail and passes a blue (chunk of T shirt) I know that deer is approximately 50 yards away. When it hits a white cloth, it is now 40 yards. When it hits blaze orange it is 30 yards and in my bow range. After that I really do not care how close the deer is.

It also works real good in fields. Or shooting from stands across fields. I was sitting in a stand last year and saw a coyote and shot him. He was 92 yards away. I thought of blasting him but figured it was that special time of the late afternoon when deer move around and about the time I drop a cap on that coyote, my deer I have been waiting for will be long gone. Still it was cool to be able to accuratly distance him.

The best ones out there are Leica I was told. They are a little higher end but in the long run worth the extra money. I use mine for hunting but mostly for shooting distances on my target range. So it does all I want and I gave $149.00 for it.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#8 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 07:59 AM

my first range finder was one of those optical ones. it uses a prism to split the image and you have to adjust it till they match up. then it tells you the yardage. they are annoying to use and in low light near impossible. The lazer range finder has basically made the optical finders extinct & for a good reason. Their user friendly compact and full of bells & whistles if you have the $ for the higher priced ones.

#9 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 11:01 AM

Still, if you stand hunt. You can go there ahead of time and shoot all different measurements. I mark them with colored cloth. Then when a deer comes up a trail and passes a blue (chunk of T shirt) I know that deer is approximately 50 yards away. When it hits a white cloth, it is now 40 yards. When it hits blaze orange it is 30 yards and in my bow range. After that I really do not care how close the deer is.

I have been doing that when we set up our blind with just a 100 ft. (out to 30 yards) tape measure but depending on where and how I hunt in a few years I might not always be able to do that. I guess I'll wait to get a good one later.

Thanks everyone :yes:
-Eric

#10 GP@AZ

GP@AZ

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:46 PM

Always try them out at the store or shop. I have found that some are difficult to look through quikly. As some time you dont have a lot of time to range your target. :yes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users