Kurt

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:15 AM

Hey Guys,

I am relatively new to turkey hunting.

I have heard of many different recommendations for hunting loads from 8shot (to shoot them in the head) to T shot.

What is best to use????

Kurt

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:06 PM

Most states only allow #4s as the biggest shot. So check your state regs as to the max shot size. T-shot may be illegal.

#8s is pure foolishness on turkeys IMHO. Don't ask whoever told you that for more turkey advice.

#4 and #5 shot are the most popular and they work. It depends on your gun what it likes best.

Absolutely fork out the extra dough for plated and buffered turkey loads. This makes a tremendous difference in getting a more uniform pattern.

Turkey chokes are worth it but if that is not a possibility the higher density loads often pattern quite well with more open chokes.

Learn exactly where your guns' pattern center is at close range. Turkeys are much harder to hit inside 25yds than outside it.
Posted Image

#3 Kurt

Kurt

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:33 AM

Thanks Leo.

That is very helpful info. Now one more question. Am I right that a person should aim at the head and neck area?

Kurt

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:30 AM

Yep Kurt, but only if you want to kill the turkey. ;) :yes: Best to shoot when his head and kneck are exstended giving you a good shot. Good luck, hope ya get one.

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:08 PM

Thanks Leo.

That is very helpful info. Now one more question. Am I right that a person should aim at the head and neck area?

Kurt

Pattern your gun to find out where the center of the pattern is in relation to your point of aim.

You want the center of your pattern to hit right where the waddles start on the neck. That way if the head moves, the head/neck will be right in the pattern when you pull the trigger.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users