Factory Hunting Ammo 44 Mag ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:20 AM

I picked up a left over 4th season elk tag.

not sure if I'll use my rifle or try out the new 44 mag. but in the event I can get the gun sighted and such prior to season...I might try it. Sooo if that happens...what round would all suggest? ( sorry no time to work up hand loads or even set up my reloading stuff ) sooo its gotta be a factory load.

thanks
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#2 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:45 AM

My son hunts only with a Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag. with a 7.5 inch barrel. His ammo of choice is Federal 240gr. hollow points. He has shot through deer out to 45yds and shot through hogs out to 30yds. When asking him about your question, he said he tried some of the 300gr. rounds but found that his accuracy wasn't quite as good. When asking him why Federal brand, he said that Remington, Federal, American Eagle {Federals "value" brand} all shot equally well, but in our area Federal was available in more places. As for shooting Elk, he said that although he had never shot one with a pistol, he has a lot of faith in the 240gr hollow points out to 30yds, but suggested to look at the 240gr. jacketed soft points [expand a little slower] or the hard cast lead bullets{ which could be difficult to find in stores} which expand very little if at all.

Edited by mudduck, 22 October 2007 - 09:47 AM.

#3 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:18 AM

Thanks Jeff :) much appreciated.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:29 AM

I've killed more deer with Federal .44 mag 240 gr hollow points than any other caliber, and I've used more than a few. Jeff gave ya some darn good advice. :yes:

#5 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:20 PM

Well I'm still not sure on if I'll use or try it with the 44 mag or not.

I had a Bushnell Holo scope on my 300 win mag from a bear hunt. I've hunted with a lepold x6 scope and in the timber im in, its to much I needed a varible scope. Soooo

I ended up purchasing a 1x Bushnell redot for the 44 mag, took my 3x9 variable off of my 243 and put it on my 300 win mag...

now Im waiting for the pistol scope to come in, ( scheduled del date is the 29 th )

then its off to the range to site in both the 300 win mag and the 44 mag.

I could have left the Holo on the 300 win mag...but 4th season Mid Nov ...it can be to cold and batteries freeze up...I dont need a scope not working and have an elk walk out in front of me.

maybe I'll carry both and if the oppertunity is there use the 44 mag.

sure hope I can find the elk come season. amazing how they know where to hide come opening day.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#6 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:03 AM

My son bought a Red Dot scope for his pistol but ended up taking it off. Even though he is as steady as a rock, shooting offhand he had a heck of a time getting that red dot to steady up. He thought he ended up targeting faster and more accurate with the open sights, plus he could never find a holster that would accomadate the scope.

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:46 AM

Bruce I have a 41 mag TC contender. I have a scope on it and have found it takes a bit of practice to get on target in heavy cover with a long eye relief scope. I recall the first time I took my handgun hunting. A doe walked to my stand and for practice I aimed on her. Man all I could see was brush through the scope sure glad it wasen't a nice buck I would have had a problem.

If you put a scope on yours practice with it till you are comfortable even if it is just aiming it without shooting.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:51 AM

I just use Winchester 240gr JHP on the full power loads. Cheap same in a lead SWC for practice(but be ready to swap the melted lead out of your barrel when cleaning). Welcome to big bore.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#9 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 04 November 2007 - 06:06 PM

I was in Sportsmans Warehouse (10 min from my apt) on Thurs and they had a ton of 44mag ammo( and others) on sale.
Do you want me to pick some up for you???
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#10 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:22 PM

thanks charlie.
I was at BPro and picked up some hunting ammo.

looks like I'll be back down to denver this week and will prob pick up some more myself :)
appreciat the offer. thanks
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#11 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:00 PM

For factory stuff, look into Cor-Bon pistol ammo. It performs really well in my .45LC
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users