2 replies to this topic

#1 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:05 PM

I bought me some 100 gr. Razorcaps to try out. So today I did just that. And the results turned out to be a five star day. I tested them at 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 yards. I give the arrow flight a 10, at 60 yards I put two arrows 1. 5 inches right of target dot and I could stick two fingers between the arrows. I am very impressed with these broadheads. Even at the shorter distances the arrows were hitting just a little bit to the right of point of aim. I am the official tester for Woody's African adventure coming up next year. I will suggest that he go heavier then 100 grs but that is just a ferrule change for these broadheads. So I give them a big thumbs UP.

MD

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:26 AM

MD glad you agree with my review of these broadheads. With my sight adjustment I had the target about the same size as a quarter (coin) being ripped up out to 30 yards. And out to 40 yards it was just a fingers width.

I also used them on a bison and I was pulling only 67 lbs. and 100 grain Razorcap with a 1 1/8" cut on contact and had complete pass through the lungs or the thickist part of the chest. I have met a bowhunter that used the same head on an asian water buffalo with complete pass throughs. My reading on African game as of late would recommend the same setup with these heads. But I haven't been there so I'm no real authority on the setup.

I took these to Canada on a black bear hunt and released one at a 225# black bear. It cut is way through bone and lay on the ground on the other side. It was lights out in less than 50 yards and with in 20 seconds I had my bear. Examining that head afterwards I felt I could reuse with just resharpening it.

They are a little tough to resharpen but they sell replacement heads. NAP bought out the original maker/designer of these heads and I talked to one of NAP's representatives about them last March at the deer and turkey show here. He agreed that the ferruls can be bent over repeated shots and loose accuracy. They were trying to work it out to stop the ferrul damage.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 01 November 2007 - 08:05 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:49 AM

He agreed that the ferruls can be bent over repeated shots and loose accuracy. They were trying to work it out to stop the ferrul damage.

Especially on Razor Caps but this is also true on just about ANY broadhead on the market, going from 100gr to the 125gr head significantly increases the strength of the ferrel. In Razor Caps 100% of the additional weight goes into the ferrel. That's more than 25% more metal and it makes a MAJOR difference.

The heavier weight also keeps the arrow on path better as it passes through the game animal. There's a limit to how much path tracking the head design can accomplish fighting the balance of an arrow. The bigger the animal and more quartering the shot the more likely balance wins that fight.

Believe me I've flat had it pounded into my head. The lighter the arrow the more FOC you need. So if your arrows are light for your setup go for the highest range of FOC you can get. Heavier arrows work fine with the low range.

I've heard a lot of good things about Razorcaps. Thanks for adding to the list.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users