19 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:14 AM

It was a pretty cool hunt. I had to go to town early so I didn't hit the woods till noon. The ridge I'm hunting is flat tore up with rubs. Didnt see much but birds and squirrels till about 5:30. Then I had a turkey hen come up out of the hollow and walk the ridge towards me. She actually walked to within 6 ft of me and began to just mill around, putting and purring up a storm. I began tho think she had a crush on me. ;) :lol: After about 15 minutes of this, here came 4 more hens. They stopped to mill around about 20 yards away. When they finally moved off, the first hen joined them. Be darned if 2 minutes later she came back and milled around for another 10 minutes. Was pretty cool to watch and I was thinking to myself, that even if I didn't see any deer, the turkeys made my day. About an hour later I heard squirrels barking down in the hollow. Pretty soon I heard the turkeys down there making all kinds of noise, putting, purring and yacking to each other like old ladies. All of a sudden I heard a deer cough close by in the direction of the turkeys. Then I heard another deer cough too. I think they were coughing at the fuss made by the turkeys and squirrels. Sooooo, I coughed back! ( Jason and I have learned that if you hear a deer cough then you need to quickly cough back. They think it's another deer and will come looking for you.) It worked like a charm. They stepped up over the ridge and turned towards me. The bigger of the two turned offering me a quartering shot, which I took, at 45 yards. My arrow took out her heart and the bottom of both lungs. She ran all of 10 yards and dropped. Sure made up for that fiasco of a managed hunt and I only had to go accross the road from my house. Life is good. :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 31 October 2007 - 11:17 AM.

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:41 PM

WTG Norm! I still feel for you on the [mis]managed fiasco. You really touched a raw nerve with me relating that experience. It brought back too many bad memories.

I like the cough trick. Never tried it but it makes sense to me. So you might just believe this ridiculous strategy which has worked for me in the past. If you find yourself with deer just out of bow range and it looks like you're not going to get the shot. Make a "POOT" noise with your lips. It needs to sound like air bubbling up through wet mud to work right. Just like a dog, a deer will ###### it's head to one side and investigate "who dealt it". But be warned, no one will ever believe you. It's also hard to make the shot when you're laughing so try very hard not too.

The other trick is dropping some small rocks from your stand one at time. Sounds like fresh acorns ;)
Posted Image

#3 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:53 PM

awesome possum Norm! Congrats!
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#4 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:20 PM

Nice doe Norm !
Posted Image

#5 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:27 PM

Congrats Norm....I've never heard of doing that with a deer but like Leo said it makes a lot of sense!
-Eric

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:41 PM

awesome possum Norm! Congrats!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats Spirit! I need to use that call.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 01 November 2007 - 08:01 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:24 PM

:clap: :bigthumb: Way to go SpiritHawk. Looks like a bunch of us will be eating good this year. :yes:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:03 PM

Thanks everyone. Now I can concentrate on getting a buck. ;) :D

#9 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:19 PM

congratulations! That is a neat trick, I'll have to remember that one.

#10 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:35 PM

way to go
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#11 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:18 PM

Awesome! Glad to hear things turned out a bit better this time.....you harvested a great looking animal and did it with archery equipment. That's what it's all about!
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#12 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:40 AM

hey congrats to you norm...nice doe bud.....i to do the cough trickand the acorn trick....
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#13 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:04 AM

Good job "work'in it" Norm!-always fun when a plan/trick is used and it pays off! Enjoy the straps!

#14 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 01 November 2007 - 10:37 PM

Congratulations Norm. Backstraps for breakfast. :clap:

#15 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:28 AM

Congratulations my friend. Enjoy the good eating. A couple of weeks ago I too had a whole flock of turkeys work my way and I was in orange vest and hat. A hen got within about 20 yds and started putting I putted back and gave my best vocalization of a kee kee. Darned if I didn't call most of the flock to within shotgun range but alas I was deer hunting and turkeys were not in season. I also recall several years ago imitating a rutting buck with my voice and kept him in the area for a full 20 minutes but deer were not in season. Sure is fun to trick those wary animals with just your voice.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users