#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:42 PM

What do you guys think of people making their own stands from wood? I would like to make a stand this summer
(and with a safety harness of course). It seems like a read or heard somewhere from someone that homemade stands were totally unsafe and shouldn't be used. They can't be too unsafe if you mantain them by replacing rotted boards and other things when needed and making it solidly built in a good tree. What do you guys think?
-Eric

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:44 PM

We have a bunch of homemade tree stands on our lease. These are ladder type tree stands that we thoroughly check out before use. If you are talking of putting a tree stand up between two trees I would not recommend that as the wind will loosen them up in no time. The wind will move the trees separately and just pull your fastners right out or break them off.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:56 AM

I been doing it for 15 years.

Begin with two 10' treated 2x4. Cut a third 10'er to make the top part that sets against the tree and attach it at a 1/2" offset to 90deg at the top, that gives you goods 12 deg lean which is very safe. A fourth ten footer and you can add the 2x4 steps on a 15" spacing (top to top). Use long driver type deck screws for securement. (The spread on the two 10' 2x4 should be about 24" or less) When you get the steps all on then cut you a 3/4 plywood top and put a 3" deep x 10" wide V in the back of the plywood, and all ya need is heavy eye screws or hook to attach your rope/bungees to. The stand wont be light, but if you build it in spring and let it lay, by late summer the treated lumber assumes a well camoed look to it and is lots lighter. If you have children around buy some green, grey, and black spray paint and let em spray the stands. Kids love :D that artwork. Plus a 25 dollar investment and some sweat equity leaves nothing lost if you happen to let the stand in the woods or some one steals it. I build a few ev yr and put em out in spring when the snows are gone. Dont worry about ugly, it adds to the fun of the stand bulding.

Good luck.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#4 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:31 AM

Eric:
Honestly...if you build it correctly, a good platform stand will be safe and actually give you a bit more room.
however the costs of stands is such that you can probably buy a good stand, made of metal, for less then the cost of the wood to build your own.

just be sure you have good design, and anchor it well, also check it out over time to make sure its still safe.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:01 AM

I agree with Bruce.

Building and maintaining a safe homemade stand is more expensive than a quality climbing stand and popup blind put together.
Posted Image

#6 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:07 PM

I'm not sure what I would do yet. Which ever way I go I want to have enough room so I could have a little room to move and to put extra gear and stuff. where I would set it up I don't think the trees are good enough for a climber. This is the stand that I like the most:
Cabela's SS Lounger

How much about would it cost to make one do you think?

Thanks for all the help!
Eric
-Eric

#7 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:31 PM

When I worked down south the electicians would bend conduit and weld it into really nice ladder stands. But at the time the same ladder stands sold for 99.99 at the local hardware store. I guess now they'd sell for 159.99 or so. Any time you build something its a cost/benefit thing. How much is your labor worth to save a few bucks. But then even a wood ladder stand must have its safety aspects too. I fell out of one that wasnt tied to a tree when I shot a big GA buck. Landed on my back, almost on the bucks antlers. Not fun. So you need to think of that too. If I could TIG weld I'd build my own out of alum conduit.

The one you selected from Cabelas is better than anything home made I could come up with. Good luck shopping.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#8 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:34 PM

I'm not sure what I would do yet. Which ever way I go I want to have enough room so I could have a little room to move and to put extra gear and stuff. where I would set it up I don't think the trees are good enough for a climber. This is the stand that I like the most:
Cabela's SS Lounger

How much about would it cost to make one do you think?

Thanks for all the help!
Eric

Unless you yourself can weld. You'll be hard pressed to make something nicer than that for less. Even if you do succeed you won't save much.
Posted Image

#9 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:48 PM

Check your local stores... I know at Sportsman's Warehouse the Gorilla Kong hang-ons go on sale every summer for around $50. Also check Sam's Club. Seems like every year after hunting season they clearance. There is really no reason to spend anywhere near $100 for a hang-on stand unless you need a heavy duty weight capacity model.
Oh, and yes... Lumber alone would cost more than a Kong. How you get up to it... Another story. (Probably about another $50 for a ladder stick. ;) )

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#10 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:26 PM

I'm starting to think it would be much wiser to just buy a nice stand that I won't need to spend money on every year. What is it like putting up a hang on stand? Is it pretty hard to manhandle on up there?
-Eric

#11 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:36 PM

there are a few tricks you learn

but over all, no its not hard.

best to have someone help ya, just in case something goes wrong ya have help right there.

alot of guys will put up their climbing sticks...go up higher then their stand. set an screw in hook

tie a loop to their stand, hoist it up and hang the loop on the hook. now the stand is hanging from the loop and you can secure it with out having to hold it.

plus it gives ya a hook to hang stuff on once you are using the stand.

am sure you'll get a ton of other secrets from here as well :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#12 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:11 PM

Eric,
i've seen the gorilla 15 ft. ladder stands here at the local walley world for $99.00 ..I'm going to invest in a couple for the farm .

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

#13 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:39 PM

When I was your age, we called them tree forts. ;) The most dangerous thing about them was getting caught by Dad as we sneaked his good lumber and nails out of the garage.

Edited by Larry $, 06 November 2007 - 04:40 PM.

Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#14 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:35 PM

It's really hard to beat the buddy type ladder stands that Wally World sells for around $100. They are very stable and with lots of room. You have a bench seat with a cushion and some even come with the camo material to hang around the frame which allows you a bit more movement weithout being seen. Throw in a $20 umbrella that mounts on the tree and you can pretty much hunt in comfort even in rain or snow. Not the most portable, but if you hunt the same spot a lot, you just can't beat them.

#15 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:02 AM

Thanks Norm and Dennis...that might be another option because I only have 1 or 2 good places to sit so I wouldn't need a lot of portability. I like that they have a little more room and the material around them is nice to have.

When putting up a stand like that does it require two people, and how do they connect to the tree?

Thanks
Eric

Edited by run'ngun, 07 November 2007 - 12:03 AM.

-Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users