21 replies to this topic

#16 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:58 AM

Yes, if no other than safety reasons, two people should put one up. We assemble the whole thing then place the bottom of the ladder out from the tree about where it will be when the stand is set up. We then flip the stand up and lean it against the tree. Next we attatch the brace from midway up the ladder over to the tree. One end is bolted to the ladder and the end against the tree is tied on. With one of us bracing the ladder the other climbs up and puts a ratchet strap around the tree, with both ends attatched to the stands platform, and ratchets it tight. At that point it is pretty stable but we then add another ratchet strap to the top rail that goes around the stand and tighten it too. You then have the most stable stand you can ever imagine. We then hang the camo material around it from the top rail. Some come with the material, but if not, you can buy it that is made for that purpose for between $12 and $20 at any Wal Mart. Since it's a two person stand, if only one person sits in it, you have plenty of room to set a pack or gear next to you. They are awesome if you are hunting with a buddy, who you are teaching to hunt, because you're right there together. With it being a bench seat with a cushion, you are pretty comfortable too. Combine that with the relaxed feeling of the stand being so solid and stable and you tend to stay in the stand longer than one less stable and comfortable. I think everyone will agree that the longer you can stay in the stand the better the odds of seeing a deer. As I said in the other post, you can also buy an umbrella that attatches to the tree to keep rain and snow off. Think we paid $20 for ours. I know several people that own buddy stands, we own two, and every one of them is very happy that they bought one. With the price, the safety of it, and the comfort, they're pretty hard to beat.

#17 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:00 AM

Option two: Run I know we are all talking fixed or hang on stands but with a climber you don't need a ladder or a bunch of accessories. You can move it around and take it home when you're done for security of someone stealing it. They go on the tree fast and quiet once you learn how and todays are very safe if you don't cut any corners for recommended use. I can sit in my Summit Viper for hours and not get beat up from it.

Last Friday afternoon I walked into the deer woods picked out a tree and was at 18 feet in less than 20 minutes and ready to hunt. Early Saturday morning I had climbed back up and just got settled in and 70 yards away was a doe feeding on acorns. Now thats quiet climbing if you ask me. The doe came into about 20 yards and busted me when I drew back and so ended that opportunity.

The climber will last you years of safe use. :yes:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#18 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

Do you need to have a limbless tree with a climber Rowdy? I also like the climbers but I was never sure if I needed a tree without branches.
-Eric

#19 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:21 PM

Do you need to have a limbless tree with a climber Rowdy? I also like the climbers but I was never sure if I needed a tree without branches.

The answer is yes. It takes some eyeballing trees in the area and judging how and if you can climb it.

For a true climbing tree it should be a fairly uniform in diameter at the bottom to about 20 feet up with very little in the way going up or around the tree like other tree branches. The bark of the tree should not be loose say like a shag bark hickory tree and should be a live tree. Small limbs can be removed with a small hand saw can be done no problem but larger ones (4") can be a big problem and done during the early season or a preseason job. But once you do your limbing and shooting lanes you're good to go for awhile. Even in an old woods with lots of trees to choose from in a quarter acre I might pick one out of 20 to use that's close (with in 20 yards of the deer trails or scraps) and even then climbing the wrong side of it can be lesson to learn from too. But you have that problem to solve with any tree stand to make sure you setup on the side you can shoot the best.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#20 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for your help everyone! I have some real good ideas now. I really appreciate all of your help!
-Eric

#21 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:06 PM

Before you venture into elevated stands make sure you have a good safety harness. Home made harnesses can get you killed. That's no joke.

Buy a good harness first. Summit's Seat of the Pants harness is a good one. A little tougher to put on than the "Easy Snap" kind but IMHO much more secure.

If you have to negotiate branches, the Rapid Rail ladder steps are probably a better choice than a climbing stick.

Edited by Leo, 07 November 2007 - 08:06 PM.

Posted Image

#22 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:03 PM

Thanks Leo, what kind of stand do you prefer Leo?
-Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users