Leupold Counterfeits

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:36 AM

I was checking on some items on the Leupold website ( I have a scope to send back in for repairs ) and came across this notice about counterfeit scopes. On another forum someone had posted a link to buy Leupold scopes, hundreds less of normal retail. I was thinking of a newscope from the site till I read this warming.

From the Leupold Website.

Counterfeit Leupold Riflescope WarningLeupold® is issuing a customer alert to purchasers of products, particularly via Internet sales, in regard to bogus Leupold products that are apparently being illegally imported from the People’s Republic of China. These products bear many of the marks and trade dress of current Leupold & Stevens riflescopes making them very hard to distinguish externally from authentic Leupold products.

In recent months, counterfeited Leupold Mark 4® riflescopes have begun to arrive with increasing regularity at the firm’s Beaverton, Oregon, headquarters for service. These products are not manufactured by Leupold and are not covered by the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee.

Leupold employs serial number tracking for all its riflescopes, so if a customer finds a scope that is suspect, he or she can simply write down the serial number and call 1-800-LEUPOLD to confirm if it is indeed authentic.

In general, most of the scopes appear to originate from Hong Kong (People’s Republic of China), and have “Leupold Mark 4” laser engraved on the bottom of the turret in a silver etch, while the black ring on the objective is etched in white and does not include the name “Leupold.” The scopes also do not bear the Leupold medallion, a mark all Leupold scopes will always possess. An authentic Mark 4 riflescope will always be engraved black on black and have the name “Leupold” engraved on the black ring.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#2 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:13 PM

:yes: Great information there Bruce. Man I think this post should be pined at the top of the page.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:44 PM

There was a flood of counterfeit Bushnells a couple years ago. Probably the same factory.

Everything is being counterfeited nowadays (electronics, clothing, pharmaceuticals...). This business has gone beyond street corner "ROLEX" salesmen in a big way. Even if it says "Made in USA" don't be so sure.

The repercussions for getting caught at this game must be a joke because it sure ain't slowing down. And honestly I don't think foreign governments are all that concerned about catching the violators themselves as long as Americans are buying the product.

The other end of it is many of the counterfeits are actually product rejected by the very same company who's screaming bad copy. And the truth is they themselves contracted the foreign company to make parts to begin with. So who is really to blame there?

Edited by Leo, 06 November 2007 - 02:44 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users