• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:35 AM

I know I’m singing to the choir when I talk about hunting white-tailed deer during the rut.
Simply put, I love it! I’m sure ya’ll know exactly how I feel. There is nothing better than sitting in a deer stand the first few weeks of November. It doesn’t matter where you’re from. The air is crisp, the colors are beyond description, and wildlife seems abundant... There is nothing like a November sunrise and the anticipation it brings! If you are like me, you welcome the morning light. You know it will begin warming those freezing toes and fingers (you have already been on stand for an hour and a half). Your eyes scan. What will those new day‘s rays reveal? And then introduce the new day’s sounds. The forest slowly begins to wake up. Squirrels rustle in the leaves below. You hear footsteps and you pray they are those from a whopper buck… I personally take enjoyment from the morning’s first song bird. Will it be a finch, a lark, a cardinal, or perhaps a robin? It really doesn’t matter, I enjoy them all.

Posted Image

This past weekend, I spent four days hunting a piece of property along the Sangamon River, near Petersburg, Illinois. I was the guest of Cavan Sullivan. Cavan is the founder of Timber Valley Deer Scents and Pheasant Farm (I will talk about his operation in a minute...here's his website: www.tvfreshscent.com). He was a perfect host and deserves special thanks for allowing me to hunt in his wonderful state and on his family’s farm. I sure hope I meet more families like his on my quest to kill a deer in all fifty states!

I’m guessing the farm is around 600 acres. The Sullivan’s have tree stands set up everywhere. Why? Because the deer come from everywhere! It is very difficult to pin point exactly where the deer will appear. I hunted for four days and felt like my head should have been on a swivel! I saw a total of 16 buck (six of which were shooters) and countless does. At one point, I honestly felt I could have shoot an arrow anywhere into the sky and its fall would have killed a deer

On my first morning out, I watched as a doe approached Cavan’s mock scrap. She followed a scent trail Cavan laid down drop for drop. She even hooked back around and repeated the process again and again. I was impressed to actually see deer scent working so effectively. And then in comes a second doe. At first, this doe was on a dead run. She hammered the brakes to smell Cavan’s deer scent. Behind her was a trailing buck. He was definitely a shooter; I was not letting him pass! I sent an arrow through his boiler room from 27 yards. But I honestly feel this would not have been possible if Cavan’s deer scent would not have been there to slow the doe. We found him collapsed some two hundred yards away. He is a very respectable 133 inch 11 point (he had some small 1 inch kicker points on his left antler for a total of 14points).

Posted Image

I continued to hunt. I had three days left and still had a doe tag to fill. Trust me; The Sullivan’s were pleased I was eager to help them with their enormous doe population.
I was given many opportunities to field test Timber valley’s estrus scent, buck scent, and doe scent. A skeptic is now a believer! This stuff works! I put some estrus scent out and watched as this buck nosed his way into within 30 yards. Talking about a duck on the pond! What I would have given for a second buck tag!

Posted Image

On a final note, I want to say a word about Enigma camouflage (www.enigmacamo.com). On my last day of hunting, I spent the entire day atop a 15 foot ladder stand. Things were hectic on my construction site back home. My cell phone was ringing off the hook ( the calls were too important to have the phone on vibrate mode). Mind you, I’m sitting on top of this ladder stand carrying on normal work conversations. There are five deer bedded down in front of me at various ranges. The closest, a spike buck, was only twenty yards away. I, of course, had my eye on a bedded doe at forty yards…

The phone would ring. I would answer. I limited my movement and conducted business as usual… This went on for four hours. The deer seemed undisturbed. I had a plane to catch. So at 3:30pm, I climbed down off the ladder (slowly of course). I began stalking the 40 yard doe. The spike buck never stood up (he was actually curled up into a tight little ball-head down)! The other three deer also remained resting. I moved to within 27/28 yards of my target. When I came to full draw the doe bounced to her feet. She jumped string and I shot over her back. After all that, I couldn’t help but to think this is an incredible testament to Enigma. I was there talking and chattering like crazy...not once was I ever noticed.

I look forward to the next few months. I have a date with a Monkey in Nebraska!

Edited by iamyourhuckleberry, 08 November 2007 - 07:41 AM.

Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:27 AM

That's a very nice buck Huck. Great story too.

Cavan's place sounds like a perfect setup for a bowhunter.

I have tried all sorts of deer attractant scents and maybe its just me but haven't had one that convinced me yet they are as good as advertised.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 08 November 2007 - 10:22 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:56 AM

As always, great story, great pictures, great buck. You are the man Huck!
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:01 PM

Way to go Huck! Nice buck. Got to love November mornings. You sit there and shiver until the sun comes up and the day begins. The best part is, there isn't anything flying around in the air that wants a piece of you. The bugs are all gone!

#5 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:12 PM

Great buck Huck!
-Eric

#6 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:28 PM

hey will great buck and story ...thanks for sharing your hunt with us...
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:45 PM

Very very nice deer :yes:

He would be a shooter anywhere.

As you've seen, scents really really work when the timing is right. Sounds like you absolutely had that nailed!
Posted Image

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 02:12 PM

Way to go Huck. Congrats Buddy. Glad you had such a great time and thanks for sharing. :D

#9 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:07 PM

Great Hunt Will !!!
Posted Image

#10 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:50 PM

Good going Will!! Very nice buck and it sounds like another wonderful adventure. Good luck in Nebraska...

#11 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:17 PM

grats Will! keep on wack 'n and stack'n! Number 50 will be up before you know it!

#12 buckhunterbob

buckhunterbob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:23 AM

Great story about a great hunt! Your photography continues to be excellent, especially your 'self photos' of you and your trophies. I am curious if you can tell us where you stand on your quest for '50 in 50'???????????

buckhunterbob

#13 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:42 AM

Nice buck Huck! I assure you there are deer in Nebraska....lol. We'll get you one soon. See you in a couple weeks.
-Sean
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#14 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:05 AM

Bob,

I have been to 17 states and have 13 deer to show for my effort. When I go, I look for a good "representation of the species" deer from that region. So, it does not necessarily have to be a monster. I guess you could say I'm semi selective (bar Nebraska-I'm killing the first deer I see).

I have deer from: Colorado, Alaska, South Dakota, Wyoming, Kansas, Texas, Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky, New York, Pennsylvania, and Oklahoma.

I need to make return trips to Louisana, Maryland, Arizona, and the Monkey State (Nebraska)

Many Many thanks to these HR members for help along the way. These folks mean the world to me:

Phil and Seth Heasley
Marty Killion
Dave Rice
Tony sansalone
Rl Gray
Sean Whipple (maybe...all depends ;) )
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#15 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:18 PM

hey Will...when you coming down for your tn. buck...give me a holler bud...i've got 100 acreas to hunt and it's loaded with deer....and lot's of big boys in the area and the hunting pressure is low in this area...
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users