Are We There Yet?!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:53 PM

Well, the beta build of Vista Service Pack 1 has been in the hands of Microsoft beta testers for a month and a half now. I don't know about you all, but I absolutely can not wait for the finished product to go live for the rest of us!

So far, my Vista experience has gone better than I expected overall. That said, there are some glaring issues here for sure. My number one complaint has got to be the unzip utility. It literally takes 1/2 hour per 5 megs of file extraction by my calculations. A 20 meg file (forum update :P ) took 2 hours to extract today. That should have taken less than a minute! (Oh, and yes I right clicked it and "unblocked" it under the Properties tab... wonderful new "security" feature... and it still took forever and a day.) I've read a few "tips" that suggest WinRAR or 7Zip and that's all well and good except two things: First, I paid for Vista when I bought a new laptop. Unzip worked fine in XP... Why not Vista? Can you say, "It's the principle of the thing."? Second, the third party applications were hit and miss. Some people reported WinRAR helped and not 7Zip while others reported the opposite. Personally, I don't have the time nor inclination to go freeware/shareware testing and I certainly don't want to install programs that should be unnecessary that will make shell changes where file associations are concerned. (Especially if SP1 does fix the native zip utility and I decide to can WinRAR or whatever program I would use.)

Man, it's times like these I really miss Linux. I just need Windows right now for some classes I'm taking or it would be gone. :doh: :lol:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users