#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:17 PM

The last time I went bowhunting (too long ago, school and homework :( ) it was raining out and all of my gear got wet. Not thinking I just put the arrows back in my quiver. Well, tonight I took the arrows out to look at them and the tip on my muzzy's are all rusted! Can I just sand some of the rust off or will it make the tip lose its sharpness? I know you can buy replacement tips. I also noticed the coating on the blades have come off, what can I use on them? Also, can Muzzy's blades be resharpened or do you have to replace them?

Thanks

Eric
-Eric

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:45 AM

Well, how much rust are we talking about? If it's not a lot then you can probably take care of it with just some 3 in 1 or Hoppe's oil on a rag. If not, use fine steel wool and the same oil. (Stay away from sand paper or emory cloth.) If you go light, you shouldn't change the edge on the trocar tips at all. As to the blades, yes, they can be resharpened. When you sit down and compare the effort you would put into it compared to the cost of a pack of replacement blades, however, you may just think twice about it.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

Thanks Jer, as far as rust it really isn't too bad I don't think. I think the steel wool and oil will take care of it. Is there anything I can use to coat the blades like they come from the factory?
-Eric

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:58 PM

A lot of folks will smear on a thin coat of petroleum jelly.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:12 AM

The thing about Petroleum jelly I really dislike for this is it really stinks and the stink doesn't fade as long as it's there. I also don't like that because it doesn't ever really dry it becomes a dirt magnet.

Try some Breakfree CLP, it's primarily for guns, and that's originally what I got the stuff for. But I have recently found it's honestly the best multipurpose lubricant/cleaner I've ever used. It works like a miracle on squeaky household hinges and locks that are getting a little tight. It goes on wet and once it drys it leaves a protective dry film of teflon. (So don't use it inside rifle bores) A major bonus, once it drys it is not a dirt magnet and is almost odorless.

If there is a little rust on anything wet it with the CLP and then rub it with a rag. Wet it again with CLP and you're usually done unless the rusting was very serious.
Posted Image

#6 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 03:59 PM

Thanks Leo and Jer, I think going to try the CLP.

Thanks!
Eric
-Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users