Elk Season Over

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:45 AM

Wish I had great stories...but 10 mins into season I checked out a honey hole and there was about 10 cows hanging out. One busted me and ran, the others froze and went into alert. I lowered the rifle...took a couple of deep breaths...flipped open the scope covers, took off the saftey...picked out a cow at 75 yards 1/4 away brought the rifle up....set the cross hairs at her shoulder...moved back into the vitals...squeezed the trigger...and

she humped up and dropped her head ( had to be a good hit ) trotted about 30 yards and down into a washout...5 or 6 elk come flying out of the wash out.... 2 cows ran cross ways and stopped at 50 yards broadside trying to figure out where the danger was... I just watched them run, I had a cow down...I was sure of it.

2 1/2 hours later, I found no cow, no sign of blood no nothing. I went back to my shooting spot a couple of times, picked a landmark where she was standing. hiked back in...found her tracks, followed them into the wash out..where she started picking up other cows out of their beds....

between myself and her was some small willow bushes...but I thought I was shooting over them. The only thing I can figure out is I cliped one and it deflected the bullet.

I hunted 5 days, and opening morning was the only elk encounter I had... 2 days ( including the last day ) I was set up on honey holes and had dirt bikers come ripping through off trail
now they aren't suppose to be off trail...but its also national forest and public land so you have to accept its going to happen. is funny the look on a guys face when he's ripping up a slop blazing a trail and you step out in blaze orange with a 300 win mag over your shoulder....eyes get the size of saucers

oh well :) next year
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#2 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:25 PM

I've had 6 yrs of it. I know what you mean...
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#3 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:02 PM

Better luck next year Bruce!
-Eric

#4 ricfirefighter

ricfirefighter

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:09 PM

NO tag soup here cant draw a dang tag

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:35 PM

Dang nabbit! Buddy I know you gave it what fur. Sorry it didn't come together, especially after you got yelled at for bartering the use of the scope. Gun season isn't a chip shot like all the TV shows make it out to be. Like I've said once or more times before "Yeah next year".

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 21 November 2007 - 02:36 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:59 PM

Oh man, the full story is WAY better than that! Especially the part about the hairy rock and the climbing gear slope. Anyway, better luck next year. I wonder if Tazing dirt bikers is legal?

And thanks for the visit by Santa! ;)
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#7 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:12 PM

hope the cheese log isn't starting to smell to bad yet.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#8 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:56 PM

Look at it this way Buddy, at least you got to hunt Elk this year. Next year too I'm sure. Try that in PA, lol.

There's always another day as it is not the destination but the journey that makes us.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#9 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 04:15 AM

Tag Soup Bruce ?
Sorry to disagree buddy but your pictures and posts of elk encounters throughout the season sure kept our appetites well fed....ya just didn't have any room left on the plate for dessert ! :thumbsup:

Sure made me hungry for next season in Ruffian land !!!!
Posted Image

#10 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:14 AM

You had me going there. I was ready to run home and tear open some stuff to figure out which one goes in the 'fridge! :doh: By the way, the chocolate covered almonds were a BIG hit. Momma be smilin'! :yes: And look at it this way: any time you get a hankerin' for elk, just say the word and it's BBQ time. Deal?
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#11 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:28 AM

Larry the reloading room is almost done..... I'll bring the red dot and you bring the elk steaks :)

I dont have any worries...just looking forward to the next hunt :)
ohhh something did happen that is just like larry....opening day there was a dusting of snow...perfect for tracking. I crossed cat tracks at least 2 or 3 times on my hike up the mtn that day. ( this is the same area I had my cat encounter a few years back ) sort of put what hair I have left... standing on end :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#12 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:18 PM

Some of us flatlanders only wish to eat elk tag soup every year for $30.00. I agree with Phil on the pics and posts. YOu have had a great year with all that. Put some more spices on that tag and taste er again.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users