21 replies to this topic

#1 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:08 AM

Well on opening day I got my largest deer to date. I shot this buck at 8:15 in the morning. I was in the stand early and right around daylight I heard some movement down below me, I then spotted the movement but only breifly. Then it was gone and all was quiet, 20 minutes later I heard movement again and this time it was right in front of me just on top of the ridge, then I saw them,at first a doe then another doe then another doe running and on her tail was another deer and I could see the flash of antlers. He chased her for a couple of minutes and I could see thru my binocs that he was a nice buck, OH only for him to stop or come my way some more cause I could only se parts of the buck. The doe started to run up the hill and I watched him in hot persuit of her and off they went my hopes of getting him gone. Things settled down and got quiet again. I sat there glassing the area where the deer had disappeared in hopes of seeing him once more. Some time had passed and then I heard the distink footsteps of a deer, and I looked over to my right and caught glimpse of legs moving down the hill. I got my binocs and sure enough it was a deer but I could not tell what it was. The deer kept coming down the hill then I seen them, I could not believe what I was looking at. The buck kept coming down the hill with his head to the ground and he got down in the tick brush and then started to move to my right which would put in crossing just in front of me. I kept waiting for him to clear out of the thick brush and then it happened he started to walk back up the hill but in the right direction. I anchored the scope out in fornt of him and let him walk into the cross hairs and sqeezed of the shot, the deer took about 7 steps and down he tumbled. I could not believe what I was seeing. so I got down out of the tree stand and started to walk up to the deer, praying that what I saw was true. When I got up the the Buck I droped to my knees and gave the Lord a pray for sending my biggest Buck to date to me. So here are a few pictures and I hope you enjoy.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:19 AM

Nice Buck!
-Eric

#3 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:28 AM

way to go dave...congrats on such a great buck...awsome!!! :yes: :yes: :yes:
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#4 QueenNorth

QueenNorth

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:16 AM

Congrats, way to go Dave! Woody sends his congrats also!!! So happy for you, thanks for sharing your story and the pics.
Posted Image
Queen of the Great White North and Woody
Rolling Castle Blog

#5 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:21 AM

Nice,love those high racks.....Congrads..
Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

#6 vcross

vcross

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:44 AM

really nice tall rack!!!!

#7 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:53 AM

Way to go Dave!!!!! That's a really nice buck.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#8 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:13 PM

Way to go Dave.

#9 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:22 PM

Great Buck! congratulations.

#10 Dean S.

Dean S.

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:56 PM

that`s one nice buck Dave, congrats bud :o

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:45 PM

Hey Cuz congratulations on that really nice buck. One question though where were you hunting that you had sunshine. Man opening day at camp was just about washed out with rain and more rain. It started last night about 9:00 and has not stopped yet. Judd got the only buck at camp but I'll let him tell about that.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#12 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:56 PM

Nice Mason-Dixon buck Dave. COngrats.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#13 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:21 PM

Two Thumbs up...congrats.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#14 Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:32 PM

Wow thatys a high rack. Those ones always get your heart pumping. Congrates!!!

#15 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:57 PM

Cuz, opening day in Maryland was sunny and a little cold. I shot this buck out of the tree stand that I had Gina in when her and Huck were here for a muzzle loader hunt. I saw a total of 7 different bucks that day and that is including the one that I shot. While I was gutting this deer I had a doe and a 6 point walk 40 yards above me and they just looked at me and kept going on their way. I had a spike walk up to me while I was drinking a cup of coffee on a stump just after gutting my deer. When I went down to the stream to wash my hands up I had another buck a 4 pointer walk 25 yards of me. It was crazy that day. I saw a buck just a big as mine just before the one that I shot and he was chasing doe's. Then to top it off I was sitting in the truck waiting for my son to get back and I had another 6 point walk right past the truck. I had a great day and sorry for all the rain you had on your opening day,but I know you, rainor shine you will be out after them and good luck and safe hunting.

Cuz in MD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users