#1 WRBH

WRBH

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:hunting,trapping,fishing,camping and life in general

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:45 PM

Okay first not good with trapping lingo yet, this is only my second yr trapping so forgive me if I say something wrong.
Set out some conibear traps last week in the creek that runs along beside our house. Randy and I have been drooling at all of the beaver sticks and otter sign we've been seeing latlly. We took the kids along with us friday when we checked them for the first time (sons 11, daughter's 9) had 1 otter. Then went down with just daughter sat and had a racoon, it had gotten into the conibear somehow still trying to figure out what a racoon was doing in the water like that. Then when Randy and I checked it monday evening I had trapped my first beaver. She weighed 52 pounds and took us both to carry her all the way back up the hill and too the house. Was so excited I was bouncing up and down and hugging Randy non-stop. He's letting me use his traps and helping me check the line. Skinned beaver out and have it in freezer going to try and mount it soon. Yesterday had another otter.
So far has been a great yr compaired to last yr. At the other house we lived in my luck last yr consisted of 1 racoon and 17 possums in the foot hold traps. Didn't live near enough to water to try for anything like beaver. Tommorow we're going to put out some foot hold traps. Randy called a grey fox to within 10 feet of him last wed, so dying to get it so I can add it to list on things to try mounting.
If anyone has any sugestions for a novice trapper would apprciate the help.

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:55 PM

That's awesome to hear. Trapping is such a "dying art" anymore. Congratulations and I can honestly say that I am excited just at reading about someone else being so excited about trapping. Personally, I've never trapped, but my father used to trap more than hunt when I was young. He would have a ton of tips, but I don't. :rolleyes:
Sorry. :)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:18 AM

WTG Tina you are the gal. Kinda like a female Jeremiah Johnson, Naa. I tried many years ago to trap but didn't catch much. My dad just said "You have to be smarter than what you are trying to catch". Sounds like you have it all figured out. Congratulations.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 WRBH

WRBH

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:hunting,trapping,fishing,camping and life in general

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:36 AM

It's going to sound crazy, but I look forward to trapping season, more then hunting season nowdays (not to say that I don't get a rush when a deer walks out though,lol) Randy grew up with his family trapping for a living, he's been doing it his whole life, so have a pretty good mentor there. Although has been funny this yr, I've been chomping at the bit to get some foothold traps out since season opened. Randy told me last night I have finally wore off on him, he's now dying to get some traps out today. Guess I'm a good influance on him,lol
One thing that suprised me was I have always been so sure that there was no way I could catch an animal like that and shoot it point blank (I'm kinda a tender heart when it comes to animals) I discovered last yr that that just wasn't an issue, had no problem with dispatching animals I've caught. Really would recomend it to anyone who enjoys deer hunting, trust me when I am running the line, checking it, and I see movement my heart just about pumps out of my chest :)

#5 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 29 November 2007 - 03:50 PM

Trapping sounds like fun :) Great job Tina!
-Eric

#6 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:00 PM

I didn't think there were any Trappers on this forum! GREAT!! Congratulations on your first beaver!!! I personally have never caught a otter, your one up on me. They had a relocation program here with the otter and are still protected, they are becoming pretty commonly seen around here though. Congratulations again on your first beaver!!! :clap:
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users