• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:17 AM

We need a lumberjack Emoticon to properly tell this one.....oh would McBruce be proud ! :lol:

Packmule/Paridgerunner/Whistle Pig/Brother Paul/ Myself/ Woodhick & Jr headed up to the farm up near Erie for a fri/sat whitetail hunt. An annual pilgrimage to try & alleviate the family farm of some standing venison to help with crop damage control....and too see if we can actually make a dent in Aunt Chubby's smorgasboard. Only drawback was an extremely rare occurance of no snow.
Paridge & Eric had all the action early on Friday with numerous deer spotted and a couple shots taken....their story to tell.
I jumped one deer all morning, a six point which isn't legal (4pt on at least 1 antler in this area). Then we started putting on small drives through the nasty "hatgrappers" thornapples & open woods on the farm.
Brother Paul got a shot at a group of doe and couldn't believe he missed at 30 yds until a splintered 3" sapling was discovered a few feet in front of the tracks.
Late in the day I was sneaking along the fenceline to get in position for the last drive and spotted a deer about 50 yards down the hill in heavy brush. When the deer raised it's head I thought it was the 6 point from earlier in the day until it turned and I could see it was a small racked 8 point. I really debated about 30 seconds whether to try a shot or not. The reality of camp members hoots of laughter & taunts about ol' Phil not waiting on a trophy ran through my mind.....but the realization of a "buck in hand" with a 150hp John Deere to retrieve it won out.....funny thing about "realization" before pulling the trigger !
I turned the scope up to high power to make sure that the buck was legal and hoped for a decent opening to get a shot before the drivers showed up & spooked the deer. His left shoulder shown and offered the only shot, but I learned a great lesson ....that branches dissappear at higher magnification. :doh:
I heard the bullet "whack" and the buck was gone from sight. He reappearred a second later a few yards down the hill walking humped up into the heavy pines so I knew he was hit hard....(just used to having them dropping on the spot with the 06'). I went to where he'd been standing a discovered a "PA Mainbeam". A beautifully splintered 2"thornapple branch drilled plumb center a few feet up the slope. Seth popped out of the woods below & to the left of me and said he'd just spotted the buck in front of him and a second later a a shot rang out. My older brother was at the pasture fence and saw the buck still standing so he finished it with a neck shot. The deer only made it abot 75 yds from where I shot it. Inspection reavealed that my bullet deflected & separated. One part had cut the liver in two and the other had ruptured the diaphram....dead on his feet.
Seth dropped a doe Saturday morning and the Rice team had an encounter with a trophy buck within 50 yards of where I'd killed the buck on Friday.....Woodhick Jr had the closest encounter of the day.
3 deer were harvested and all of them big bodied so we made the farm folks happy. Just might head back up to see if I can fill my doe tag next Saturday.
Eric had his digital camera along so many pics were taken of "Team Casters" in action...or should I say in Exhaustion ! :heat:
Posted Image

#2 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:39 AM

:yes: That was some of the best fun I've had in a few years. I will post my story with a few pics after I get rested up a bit. :doh: ;) :lol: Thanks Phil and the gang.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#3 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:42 AM

Congrats on the deer guys!
-Eric

#4 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:11 AM

Great goin Guys !!!!congrats to all. :boone: :thumbsup: :yes:
Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#5 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:45 PM

:cry: I so want to be there! Congrats guys on what sounds like an awesome hunt! I know ya'll had fun! Cannot wait to see the pictures!
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#6 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:05 PM

One of these days Alice, one of these days.... POW! Right to PA we'll go for the CASTERS experience.

You guys always seem to have fun.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#7 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:32 PM

One of these days Alice, one of these days.... POW! Right to PA we'll go for the CASTERS experience.

You guys always seem to have fun.

Larry my friend never a dull moment never a dull moment. :evil: :rofl: :roflmao: :nahnah: :nahnah:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club

#8 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:04 AM

Sounds like you guys had a great time. I would like to make the trip one day, since I am a Pennsylvanian now. HYMMM sounds like a self invite if I ever heard of one :yes:

MD

#9 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:40 AM

Dave you are always welcome and I mean that. :yes:

#10 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:30 AM

:lol: Ok this is just one pic that I have so far of the great weekend we all had. :lol:
Posted Image
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club

#11 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:46 PM

mmmmmmmmmmm; a little salt, a little pepper, a few minutes on the grille and that there is gonna be some GOOOOOOOOOD eatin'! :doh:
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#12 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:20 PM

That's a "Pennsylvania Mainbean"...besides, thornapple wood is good fer smoking jerky!
Posted Image

#13 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:38 PM

Good shootin there bro. I have a few trees on my trophy wall :lol: Hey at least some venison and some grerat fellowship were the outcome.

Steve

#14 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:49 PM

Man I lost count trying to score it...how many points was it?
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#15 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:35 PM

Points :hmm: thats a great question BUT it sure has lots of stickers. :roflmao: :roflmao:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users