#1 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:43 AM

Ok,
i'm getting the itch to go sight my new toy in so hopefully within the next 2 weeks i'll be able to either go to the range or down to the farm and sight it .So i need a suggestion on what grain should i use for whitetails .Winchester model 70 in 30/06.

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

#2 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:29 AM

You loading, Dennis? 165's are an excellent bullet for the 06.I've found that the 150's are too light. If you are going to be using it for elk too, the 180 is a perfect compromise. Works good for the bambi's too.

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:34 AM

Any grain weight from 150 up works great for whitetails.

My experience with 30 calibers is they usually don't start showing their true accuracy potential until 165 grains and heavier. Sometimes going from a 150 to a 165 can shave as much as 3/4 to 1" off group size. (BTW that's going from 1 3/4" groups to 1" and some guns under ;) )

There is no such thing as overkill. Dead is dead :) Mostly the heavier bullets (especially good ones cause LESS meat damage not more)

Personally I would bet on 165grn Federals Vital Shocks with Sierra Gamekings as an excellent starting point.

The Fusion Bullets are economical and the accuracy I have experienced with them is outstanding. However, if you need a blood trail where you are hunting, pick something else.

You can get almost 300Win Mag performance in a 30-06 from the Federal High Energy rounds. They don't kick as hard as the Win Mag either ;)
Posted Image

#4 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:12 PM

I used to hunt extensively with an .06 for years. Great all around caliber. I will second what Leo & RedGreen has said. I shot 150's (Sierra) for 1 season- can you say Shrapnell! everywhere! too light for these Texas whitetails! 165 seem to be optimum for me on deer-good comprimise for fast, flatter trajectory & knockdown power. Bigger game, I would bump up tp 180's. A 150 would work great if you can load a Barnes X bullet(don't know if they make this in 30 cal.-I would think they do)

#5 Fred

Fred

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Trucks and driving goat trails, Hunting, Fishing. Prospecting/gold panning

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:40 AM

The 06 was originally designed to use a 180gr but like the other guys have said, the 165 really shines. Fred
Quondo Omni Flunkus Moritati

#6 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:41 AM

Thanks guys i'll try the 160"s ...

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users