• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:07 AM

Was thinkin about buyin a short light mtn rifle in spring 08. Thot maybe a model 7 Rem in 7mm-08 but I have all the 25-06 research that I did still stuck in my head. Anyone got a model 7 and how do you like it, or anyone with a 7mm-08 and how do you like it???
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#2 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 06 December 2007 - 05:37 PM

I have remington model7 in 7mm-08 stainless/synthetic and I love it. I have read many articles (and I share the opinion) that it is the best whitetail deer gun ever. It is very light and compact for long hikes in the mountains or rough terrain. Mine is very accurate and shoots much better than sub-MOA. For a mountain gun....I would choose this make/model/caliber over a 25-06 any day of the week.

The negatives......even though it is a small round....the light weight of the rifle makes it buck pretty hard.
Additionally.....it is truly only a .243 case necked out to a 7mm bullet. Ideal for deer sized game, and I have seen elk shot with this rifle, but much beyond that it isn't enough gun.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:40 PM

Whip you are correct that the 7mm08 is a necked up 243. Both of them are children of the 308.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:05 PM

Charles I have a Remington model 700 BDL in the 7mm-.08 caliber. It technically is a .308 case necked down to the .284 diamater. As for accuracy in mine it is great. I use a Nosler partition 140 gr bullet in mine. If I had the choice between the 7mm-08 or the 25-06 I'll take the 7mm-08. I have taken deer with this gun many times and they do not go anywhere after the shot. If you need a great re-load for this gun let me know I have a dandy for it.

MD

#5 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:36 AM

My daughter has shot one several times. IMO the 7mm-08 is not in the same league as a 25-06

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#6 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:59 PM

My daughter has shot one several times. IMO the 7mm-08 is not in the same league as a 25-06

Fatty

Oh I didnt think they were, I was jus trying to stir up REDGREEN, our won resident Dr.2506 :lol:

Guess I'll get me a few more handguns first, seems like since today we'll be needing them.
Ill wait to go 7-08 shoppin in March. Seems like it would be a good sheep calibre.

Thanks guys for all the input.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#7 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:30 AM

You aren't going to stir me up, Charlie! :no: They are both great calibers for what they are designed for. The 25 06 will shoot faster and flatter than the 7mm 08, and they will both flatten deer with authority. The choice is yours. Heavier bullets are available for the 7mm, but I highly doubt that the deer will be able to tell the difference, IF YOU REMEMBER YOUR SPECS, AND YOU DO YOUR :fudd: JOB PROPERLY! ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

#8 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:50 AM

gee Red where ya been? Took ya long enough. R u snowed in???

I aint ready to buy yet, just ruminatin and researchin.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users