15 replies to this topic

#1 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:56 PM

:o Well I will begin my hunt in our early muzzy season (doe only) in late Oct. The season started on a Saturday PA and I decided to hunt with Phil, JGable and a few others. In the morning I jumped a few deer but it was to dark to tell what they were. So I sat down and left the woods come alive. I saw no deer but I did find where the turkeys were roosted. Later in the afternoon PA and I decided to come home and give it a try around home.
Well he and I went to where we have seen lots of deer in the past and decided to sit in a fence row and try to ambush them as they come out into the feilds. I was sitting where I could see for a long way and wouldn't you know it the deer came out into the field behind me at 300 yards so all I could do was just watch till it got dark.

I didn't get to go to that spot again till Wednesday so we decided to sit in front of round bales out in the field.
I was sitting there for no more 15min and I looked out the field and saw a doe and 2 fawns run out the woods beside me but to far away. Another few min go buy and I look to my left and there stands 3 does. (60yards away). Now I shoot left-handed and was set up to shoot that way (O crap I said to myself). The deer didn't know I was there so I got the muzzy shifted to shoot the wrong way :lol: I took the safe off and put the cross hairs right on the boiler room and BOOM the doe stumbled twice and managed to make it 40 yards or so till she expired.

Posted Image

Now we are to our reagular gun season (The Monday after ThanksGiving and for 2 weeks) I had the first day off but it rained all day and I didn't get a shot but did get to see deer. Now back to work Tuesday-Thursday.
Thursday night PA and I headed up to the farm in Erie PA to hunt with Phil,Seth, Phils brother Paul and cousin Lee.
PA and I decided to hunt the morning in Rods condo and it paid off. Dad and I were sitting in the blind,a doe and 2 fawns came out clear out at the other end of the feild. (over 600yards away) and didn't present us a shot. In the mean time we had turkeys come out into the field right in front of us ask PA some of them flew so close to us I think I could have hit one of them they were so close. Now some time has gone buy and all of a sudden we look out the feild to our left and here comes a hole herd of deer and not a horn amoung them (we both have doe tags for this hunt) so they come as close as they are going to so I told PA he gets to shoot first. He picks out a big doe and shoots (I'm watching with my scope and he hits her) and deer go every direction. Now a big doe in the back of the herd just stops so I stick my 7mm T&R mag out the window and put the cross hairs on the boiler room and BOOM, she jumped and started running towards us till she expires. Now I started to pace the shot off because this was the farthest shot I have ever taken in my life. The deer fell at 274 yards and she ran over 50 yards to us so she was over 300 yards. We didn't recover PA's deer but thats his hunt to tell. This is deer #2 for me.

Posted Image

We hunted with the farm crew Friday and Saturday and got to see more deer (including a big buck) but didn't get a shot at him. Phil got a little 8 point :lol: and Seth got a doe on Saturday and that ended our hunt in Erie.

Now I still have a buck tag to fill and I got the whole 2nd week off to try filling it. Monday through Wednesday I got to see a few deer but nothing that I can shoot. Thursday morning I decided to head to the mountain and try my luck. We got 2 inches of snow on Wednesday night so every thing is smoking fresh. I got to the feilds at daylight and procided to walk towards the woods when I heard a shot on top of the mountain so I just stoped and stood there for over a half hour. I saw 2 turkeys fly off the top and they split directions and a couple of min later I see 2 deer running just above the feild. So I scope them out and can't put a horn on either one so I decided to walk towards the gap in the mountain near the bottom. I get near the gap in the mountain and I hear this put, put and I look behind me not 20yards there stands a beautiful gobbler. Sure wish I could have taken him but you know how that goes. :lol: I found fresh beds and lots of tracks but no more sightings of deer. I was sitting at the top of the feilds just inside the woods and I was watching a few fox squirrels do their thing and this one went up the tree right in front of me and I had to do a double take because this thing just jumped off the tree and glided to the next one. Yep it was a flying squirrel and I haven't seen one of those in 23 years so I just knew my day was to about to change. I decided to head home and see how PA was feeling (lunch time) and then head up the ridge behind my house. I got to the spot where I had jumped this nice 8 point in turkey season so I found a nice spot to sit till dark. I pulled out my can call (primos long can) and worked it 4 times. Folks this is the first year I have ever used anything like this and it wasn't 15 min later I look down and there stands a deer at 75 yards (after close observation he's got 6 inch spikes, so I'm watching him for a few min and I glance to my right and there stands another deer. I put my scope on it and it's a doe. Now I'm watching both and it wasn't a min later I look to the right again and theres another deer. I put the scope on it and it's the nice 8 point I jumped in turkey season and he just stood there at 25 yards because I was hunting turkeys with my Sako rifle. So now I start to get the BUCK FEVER and can't believe it's the buck I realy want. I looked strait up into the heavens and asked the Lord to please come me down and be with me through the shot. All of a sudden the shakes just left and the buck kept working back and forth feeding behind a bunch of pine trees full of grape vines. I then asked the Lord to please if it's in your will give me a shot at this buck. He turned just then far enough that I had an opening through the vines and I put the cross hairs just behind the sholder and BOOM. The gun rocked me back hard enough that when I looked down I saw him stand on his hind legs and pull his front legs toward him so I knew I hit him but couldn't tell just how good the shot was. The doe that was with them took off like I was shooting at her :lol:
and the spike buck just stood there looking at the buck I shot run down through the woods. When I got up from my stand the spike looked at me and also took off like a bolt of lighting. :lol: Now I start down to where the buck was standing and I get to the spot and I notice where the bullet went through the snow and I look and I can't find a speck of blood, (I'm using a custom built 7mm T&R mag) with a 160 grain Nosler bullet and I can't believe there is NO blood. Now I'm off to track my buck (thanks to the 2 inches of snow) and I'm not 40 yards for the impact spot and I look down and Find a spec of blood, I go one more step and theres more blood. I walk up over this little hump and theres lots of blood, I walk to the top and I look over the hump and there he is. Now this deer ran 80 yards before he expired but I got him. :pray: I yelled out THANK YOU LORD, THANK YOU LORD.
Then I got on the cell phone and called my wife and when she answered I was so excited she thought the house was on fire I was so frantic. :doh: Next thing I called PA because I needed some help to get my trophy out of the woods, he hasn't hunted because of his monsterus cold and caugh. So he says where are you and we made plans for him to bring the deer cart and pull the deer out of the woods. PA didn't waist anytime and was to me in less than a half hour. I shot this buck more that a mile away from the truck and it was all up hill till we finnaly got him loaded in the truck. Side note I shot this 8 point at 3:20 in the afternoon and it was 6:05 when I pulled into the driveway. I don't live more than 2 mile from where he dropped but this is the biggest buck,horn and body wise that I've killed in my 26 years of hunting. I'm not a big buck hunter just a hunter. Man I will talk about this buck for the rest of my life. Thanks for taking time to read about my hunt and I pray that you enjoyed the hunts as much as I enjoyed telling them. :yes:

Posted Image
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#2 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:15 AM

Great story, great pictures and good job Eric!!!!

#3 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:15 AM

Awesome to finally get to hear the story Eric ! :thumbsup:
I guess we gotta change the moniker of PAspikeking.
*News Flash....Casters new camp motto..."Prayin' like a Packmule....it's the Gooderer way" :ok:

It's been a Blessed season in the mountians of PA fer sure!
Posted Image

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:57 AM

Congrats Eric!
-Eric

#5 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:32 AM

Wow Eric!! Thats some story ,to cool,nice Deer mi Friend.Thats what i call a good season,You guys did good Congrats !!! :yes: :)
Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#6 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:35 AM

Great job Eric

Tiny

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#7 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:59 PM

Way to go Eric!!!! Whew that was some kind of action. Great story and thanks for the pictures. :yes:
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#8 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:12 PM

Way to go Eric!! Nice buck and a great exasperience.

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:16 AM

Yep 2007 was a pretty good year. The Lord has blessed our camp members with great fellowship, witness opportunities and a whole bunch of game. Congratulations son and get ready to help me haul in mine next year.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#10 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:26 AM

great story eric...and yes it dosen't hurt to ask for help from God...He does answer prayers....congrats on a great season...
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#11 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:27 AM

I'm happy for you man. It's real good feeling to get a good buck. Sounds like you had to wait quite a while for that to happen for you.

You must be pretty stoked.

I'm always very thankful when I am blessed in this manner. Say a pray of thanks and you will be amazed how much more you enjoy the hunts that follow. There are others here I know, who also know this exactly to be true. :)

Edited by Leo, 10 December 2007 - 08:35 AM.

Posted Image

#12 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:09 AM

Cuz, thanks for sharing your hunting adventures with us, you made it sound like we were there with you. I know how you feel when you say you have been blessed by taking the largest deer to date. I too this year was blessed with my largest buck to date. The pictures are great as well and I continue to pray that your hunting seasons be better every year. Hopefully one of these day I'll be able to come up and share a day or two with you and Dad, but untill then God Bless and Keep Safe.

MD

#13 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:24 PM

Way to go Eric! Glad that you had a successful hunt.

#14 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:07 AM

Way to go, congrats buddy. :thumbsup: Thanks bunches for sharing. :D

#15 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:27 PM

I'm happy for you man. It's real good feeling to get a good buck. Sounds like you had to wait quite a while for that to happen for you.

You must be pretty stoked.

I'm always very thankful when I am blessed in this manner. Say a pray of thanks and you will be amazed how much more you enjoy the hunts that follow. There are others here I know, who also know this exactly to be true. :)

Yes Leo I had to wait 7 years till I got this buck (in 2000 I killed a smaller 8point) and in 2001 I hit a BIG monster buck with my flintlock and it still haunts me to this day I didn't get him but it wasn't meant to be. But I always thank the Lord when I harvest any animal, the power of prayer does work. :yes:

Thank you everyone. :cool:

And Uncle we will hunt together soon, we will. ;)
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users