• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mike38

mike38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:04 PM

:D I see that there's alot of talk about turkey hunting !
I've been invited to my older brothers camp for spring gobbler here in central Pa.
and decided to give it a try. Been thinking about it for a number of years. Got my first box call at Wal-Mart the other week and have done alot of practing( I hope the turkey like it better than the wife) .
Season starts in one week and I'am afriad that I'am already getting the bug!
Anybody got any sure fire tips they would be greatly welcomed :o)
Hope to have some picturers to post.
Wish everone a safe and happy hunting season.
Mike from cenral Pa.

#2 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 03:14 PM

The number one thing I can tell you is patience kills turkey...and I wish I had more of it. I cracked my tailbone twice and can't sit for too long so I'm more of the run/gun type. The PA members would probably offer the best advice as hunting them there might be slightly different than where I live although I would imagine easterns are similiar throughout their range. Get out there early and before they start gobbling. That is not to say that first light is the best time to kill one as I've killed more birds after 9am than before but I've killed a few off the roost too and you don't want to miss that sunrise!! Once they start gobbling, I try to act quickly and get as close as I can without disturbing them and figure out a good setup location. Setup is very important. As you hunt, pay attention to the hens and mimic how they call. I've learned alot listening to hens and it has served me well. Don't overcall and just because they don't answer doesn't mean they aren't around or that they don't hear you. The older birds often times come in silent and especially as the day wears on. You really don't have to do much calling but just act like a turkey. By that, I mean when I'm in the woods from the moment I start calling I try to mimic that hen. I made a turkey fan for fly down and will flap it and mimic her fly down. Then I might change to some soft clucks every so often and some purrs. Along with that, I'll flap the wing a few times as I've seen them do that to either dry or air out their wings. Then I'll make some scratching noises in the leaves as if she is feeding. If that bird is still gobbling, I'll move back and forth in the woods to make it seem like the hen is moving around. I try to mix it up. Try a box call and if that doesn't work maybe go to a slate or mouth call. There really is no sure fire tip that I can offer. Just get out there, be persistent, and stay put. If you get into an area where there are multiple gobblers sounding off, it might be worth the time to setup a blind and sit most of the day. If the gobblers go off with the hens you can bet they will be back later anywhere from 9am to noon to look for more hens. If you stay put, call softly and occasionally, you might just get one to come in. The key is to stay still and move your eyes and not your head. I've been burned more than a few times by movement on birds that came in silent.

I'm done babbling...

Edited by Ironranger, 23 April 2006 - 03:17 PM.

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:02 PM

Turkeys aren't nearly as verbal as TV shows would lead you to believe.

9 out of 10 gobblers I've killed come in silent. If you here a bird they usually aren't moving. If he stops sqawking and has answered you once. Odds are very good he'll make an appearance if you just shut up.

Bring you binoculars and use your eyes. Depending too much on audible responses from the birds is a guaranteed path to frustration and failure.
Posted Image

#4 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:35 PM

Welcome aboard Mike,
There's quite a few here from central PA. Most of us have stumbled into a gobbler or two , so if you ever feel like meeting the gang or possiblity hook up for a hunt we're usually around here most everyday....( Jerimiah is the guy for advice on PA turkeyhunting!)
Posted Image

#5 mike38

mike38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:11 PM

Thanks for the tips,
Purchased a box call last week and can see that this is just one of the collection that I will be working with.
Would like to add that from reading thru the articles on that site that there is a group of great hunters and great people that are more than willing to share their knowlege with other hunters.
Also thanks to Jerimiah for posting the calling sounds and different kinds of calls.
Thanks for the response from Phil. Leo. and Ironranger!
Look forward to sharing stories with everone.
God Bless and Safe hunting !!!!!!
Mike :D :D :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users